Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

First Kit build ????

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

First Kit build ????

Old 01-04-2007, 04:13 PM
thunderbolts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Kit build ????

Hi everyone.

Having spent the last year learning to fly with a great deal of success I am keen to start on a kit instead of putting ARF's together. I plan to spend the spring and summer honing my flying skills whilst building the kit and then flying the finished kit at the tail end of the year. The English weather will make sure I have the time to build!!!

Can you guys suggest a suitable scale kit on the larger side if possible?? I have looked at BUSA and Top flight kits but hear from reading the forums that they are tough kits to build.

Any suggestions??
Old 01-04-2007, 04:28 PM
iron eagel

Default RE: First Kit build ????

ORIGINAL: thunderbolts

Hi everyone.

Having spent the last year learning to fly with a great deal of success I am keen to start on a kit instead of putting ARF's together. I plan to spend the spring and summer honing my flying skills whilst building the kit and then flying the finished kit at the tail end of the year. The English weather will make sure I have the time to build!!!

Can you guys suggest a suitable scale kit on the larger side if possible?? I have looked at BUSA and Top flight kits but hear from reading the forums that they are tough kits to build.

Any suggestions??
Try the Sig 1/5 scale cub, laser cut and a joy to build. I would recomend this to any first time builder.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:29 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post a list of what you're looking to build. Most kits on the market today are pretty good. Brand specific recommendations can be tough since the complexity of the build will depend on the plane. For a good second plane, you can't go wrong with the Sig 4 Star seires or the Bruce Tharpe Venture. There's quite a bit of build information on those planes.
Good luck to ya.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:32 PM
RubenJ

I've built the Harvard from flair, easy kit to built without difficulties like flaps and retracts. Flying is also easy with an .46 engine on it. Good plane to fly after your trainer. Now I am building the p-47, it is more work but verry great building. Good manuel with it so you can't go wrong if you read good and hav patience!!
Good luck
Ruben
Old 01-04-2007, 04:50 PM
NCIS

If you want a scale plane thats large you are always looking at a little more difficuly due to it being scale. I would try a sport scale plane first and then go to real scale. You have to make many modifications even on a scale plane to get it right. When you say large that means Giant Scale to me. If it were me and it was my first kit build, I would go with something in the 60 size. I am just finishing up on a Great Planes 60 size Piper Cub and it has a 90" wingspan. Here is a picture of it on Tower Hobbies Web Site.

Gibbs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43852.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	590712  
Old 01-04-2007, 04:56 PM
thunderbolts

Thanks for the tips guys. I was thinking of a BUSA Cub, or Top Flite Cessna, something scale but maybe they are a step too far as a first kit. On the other hand I didn't want to go with say a Sig 4*.

I have recently completed a wing repair on a 74" CAP 232 which a friend was about to bin. I have successfully made ribs etc.. repaired the right hand wing halves, re-sheeted the leading edge, made a replacement aileron and recoverd it all, again with a view to flying it when my flying skills have come on.

This is what has inspired me to build a kit and I am getting a taste for the larger models.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:02 PM
thunderbolts

I'll take a look at the GP Piper you have suggested. I wouldn't mind covering it differently to resemble an NE-1 or L-4 Grasshopper. Not sure about the greenhouse canopy on the L-4 though!!! LOL

Old 01-04-2007, 07:03 PM
thunderbolts

Anyone have any advice or details on an L-4 Sig Cub conversion?? How difficult is it??
Old 01-04-2007, 10:49 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: thunderbolts

I'll take a look at the GP Piper you have suggested. I wouldn't mind covering it differently to resemble an NE-1 or L-4 Grasshopper. Not sure about the greenhouse canopy on the L-4 though!!! LOL
This site refers to a conversion of a SIG Cub to an L-4
http://www.geocities.com/cubmanky/cubmain.html
I didn't look at it in great detail so I have no ideawhat's involved
Old 01-09-2007, 05:05 PM
JohnAgnew2978

TopFlite kits are not difficult to build if you are willing to read and follow the instructions. Balsa USA is harder (I built their P-51) because the instructions and plans may not coincide, so it can be difficult to decide which piece of wood--and there are many--you should use. As far as I'm concerned, all Sig, Great Planes and TopFlite kits will produce a very good model. The plans and instructions are first-rate.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:10 PM
davidgeorge212

I would like to start building an RC plane as well, I am looking for any type of plane really but I want to have it be electric power (in a perfect world I could use my 3c 2100 mah lipo batteries I already have), and I would like ailerons for easier flying.

I appreciate any recomendations

Thanks,
David G.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:18 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

I'd second Iron Eagel's suggestion on the 1/5 Sig Cub. there have been lots of discussion in lots of threads about this plane, and I don't think I've read anything negative about it. I built one 4 years ago, still flying it. It was my first scale build, and I did the conversion to an L-4, my own design. I took measurements from photos and engineered the greenhouse using hardwood replacing all the balsa, for strength. It has held up marvellously well, I had a steep learning curve when first flying it, and it has been repaired (wing damage) but the center section mods have never failed.

I haven't seen Thunderbolts' back on this thread, but to answer his question regarding the conversion, this kit would be the easiest by far, as it is a two-piece wing with the center section a part of the fuselage; this makes it easier to re-engineer the center into the greenhouse. the scale lines are excellent, the material is top quality, and it is all laser cut, so parts fit is perfect. Either Robarts or Wm. Wallace scale gear is an excellent addition to the plane, and worth the money if you plan to detail it, plus they work very well.

I haven't seen one, but an electric conversion of this plane would be awesome. The plane builds out to about 7-8 pounds when built per the plans, and a .46 glow engine is all it needs. My plane weighs over 11 pounds, and it is still a floater, so going electric with as much battery as you want won't make it a heavy flier. I don't know electrics, but an outrunner with the equivalent power to a .50 size engine would be good. There is plenty of room in the cowl, and you wouldn't have anything sticking out to spoil scale looks.

The plane is plenty big, at 84.5 inches span, but with the wings off, it will fit in a compact (Camry) sized car.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67580.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	718713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50702.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	718714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55082.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	718715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17460.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	718716  
Old 07-10-2007, 02:50 AM
adityp_h

Hi,

I am novice for this. Please suggest me how do i go ahead to Kit build (My Plane).
Suggest me where will I get complete information.

Thanks
Aditya
Old 07-12-2007, 12:37 AM
Crash Campbell

Hi Aditya,

Try this site for lots of very good advice and information.
http://www.airfieldmodels.com/

Cheers,

Colin