Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Hog Bipe Climbs

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Hog Bipe Climbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 09:11 PM
dingo9882

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Hog Bipe Climbs

I have just recently maid my maiden flight with by hog Bipe today (1-16-07). I have been reading a couple of the threads and some of them have been saying to give some negative incidence to the top with. If I were to do this, I was going to put a washer on the rear screw underneath that attaches to the Cabanes. Does this sound right, or is this a bad idea.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:33 PM
sticktickler

Default RE: Sig Hog Bipe Climbs

Well if you think it needs some negative incidence do it but make sure you know just how much you have put into it. Buy a gage to check it with and make sure. However I'm not really sure you will accomplish your goal by simply raising the center section and not the tips or (I struts). That may put a goofy twist on things then you'll really have your hands full. I've built many of these kits and even enlarged three 16% for a gasser and always keep both wings at 0 degrees incidence to the stab and all fly just great. Have you checked the correct amount you have now could be off a bit you will never know till you check with an incidence gage. If you seem to be climbing then check your CG make sure all is set up according to the plans first it flies best that way. Then adjust if necessary good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39717.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	599732   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43656.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	599733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44308.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	599734  
Old 01-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What he said. The Hog is a bit different in that the interplane struts are solid and not "N" struts. You'd have to lift the wing at the cabanes and the outer struts. On models with wire "N"s with flanges that bolt up and down it's simple to add shims or washers. On models with wood or solid struts that bolt on with horizntal bolts it's not so simple. You could fashion new struts with the rear attachments lifted by the same amount you raised the rear cabane.

The good news is that you are less likely to poke a ball driver wrench up or down through your covering when you slip off your heel while hunkered down.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:18 PM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: dingo9882

I have just recently maid my maiden flight with by hog Bipe today (1-16-07). I have been reading a couple of the threads and some of them have been saying to give some negative incidence to the top with. If I were to do this, I was going to put a washer on the rear screw underneath that attaches to the Cabanes. Does this sound right, or is this a bad idea.
a couple of things to try:

1 degree of negative in the top wing works wonders! You'll probably have to cut new interplane struts though.. Check the incidence at the middle of the wing, and at each tip of the upper wing.

One thing to check is to see if it's climbing while under power, and not climbing at "cruise" usually points to inadequate downthrust in the motor.

Also, check the balance, make sure it's not a skosh tail heavy.

You'll get it sorted out, and when you do... you'll love it!

Old 01-16-2007, 10:31 PM
Cutlass 60

I suggest that you also check your engine thrust line. It's possible a few degrees of engine downthrust may help solve the problem.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:10 AM
dmanson
My Feedback: (1)

My Hog Bipe was climbing under high throttle, but OK otherwise, an indication of a need for more engine downthrust. I placed washers under the top of mount to provide downthrust and the problem was solved. Flies great now.

In my case I had replaced the engine mount that came with the kit with one of my own. I later looked at the plans and it seemed that the supplied engine mount had downthrust built into it. Substituting the engine mount may have been the root cause of the climbing problem.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:53 AM
packet

This is a topic that I have discussed many times at the field. I cant tell you how many times I have seen bipes crash on the first flight because the incidence of the top wing was wrong. Setting the incidence is of the utmost importance and not easily done without an incidence gauge. One of the major causes of this is because the builder trusts the rigging supplied in the kit. No matter how well they make it, there will always be some slight deviation in the fit. The builder must make sure that the aircraft is true, even if you have to make new parts to achieve it.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:24 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

before you start altering the wing incidence try adjusting the engine thrust.maybe add a degree or two down using washers.if that doesnt work you simply remove them and then consider the angle of attack..it seems so stupid but I use to robart incidence meters now and measure incidence against the plans..