Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Heat Sealing Iron Temperature

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Heat Sealing Iron Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 02:24 AM
James Goss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat Sealing Iron Temperature

How do you measure the temperature of your sealing iron??? I like to work with ultracote and I need to know when the iron is at 220 degrees F so the glue can get maximum bonding without shrinking the material. Then I like to take the heat up toward 300 degrees for shrinking. I had a Top Flight bimetal thermometer, you know the one that is in the shape of a coil and sits on the bottom of your iron while you are holding it upside down. It takes forever to get an accurate reading. I have used trial and error for the most part over the last 30 years and have done pretty good with it, but I have found that having the correct temperature is the best way to go. Especially on a new iron that you are not familiar with and need a way to check its temp.

I have just started using an infrared thermometer built by Raytek. All you do is point it at your iron and you will get an instant reading. No need to use the bimetal thermometer anymore, this baby is the way to go. It will also be good for checking engine temperature. Is anyone else using an infrared thermometer with your sealing iron?
Old 02-14-2002, 03:42 AM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Default Re: Heat Sealing Iron Temperature

Originally posted by James Goss
Is anyone else using an infrared thermometer with your sealing iron?
No, but it is an excellent idea! I have a coverite thermometer the same as the description you gave. I haven't used it yet but I would expect it to be a little slow in registering as it uses the expansion of metal to change the guage.

One other tip I have read is to actually have 2 irons. Set one at the lower temperature and the other at the higher. This way you don't have to change temperatures on the iron and wait for it to heat/cool.

The infra-red thermometer may be a little expensive though.
Old 02-14-2002, 12:57 PM
James Goss

Maverick

The Raytek infrared thermometer that I have cost $145. Tower has one in the $70 dollar range. It would work fine , but it doesn’t have a laser sight, and at close range you don’t need a sight anyway. These are amazing little devices and well worth that price.
Old 02-17-2002, 02:15 AM
wildblueyawner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Iron Temperature

I got fed-up always wondering whether my covering iron was the right temperature, so I made this handy temperature chart http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...54&forumid=107]
Old 02-17-2002, 02:16 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

James,

By gum, you're a genius! Those laser temp guns are all the rage among some heli pilots, to check engine temp with. Unfortunately, they are mainly deluding theselves, as by the time they get the ship on the ground and spooled down to where they can check the temperature, it has changed quite a bit already. But it is a neat toy...

I too have one of those coil thermometers, and it is indeed a PITA to use. But I can see where one of these temp guns would be just the ticket. And you're right; proper temperature on the iron is one of the keys to a good covering job.

Several guys have been after me to try their temp guns. Now, when I'm ready to cover the Contender, I will! Boy, are there gonna be some rolling eyes. I can't wait...<G>

Steve