Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Another Quest. For An Experienced Rcer

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Another Quest. For An Experienced Rcer

Old 02-10-2003, 11:21 PM
strobelights
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Quest. For An Experienced Rcer

I HAVE A LARGE SCALE KIT, MY FIRST SCALE KIT(TOPFLITE P47D), MY QUESTION IS: IS IT SAFE TO INSTALL THE TAILWHEEL ASSEMBLY IN THE BOTTOM OF THE RUDDER, I 'VE SEEN THIS CONFIGURATION AT THE LOCAL HOBBY SHOP WHERE I GO TO PERCHASE HOBBY MATERIALS, I 'VE READ RC WRITE UPS ABOUT THIS PLACING TOO MUCH LOAD ON THE SERVO AND RUDDER HINGES. AT THE SAME TIME I HAVE SEEN THIS SYSTEM ESPECIALLY THE PULL-PULL SETUP, DO I HAVE TO FEAR DAMAGING SERVOS WITH THIS CONFIG.??????!
Old 02-10-2003, 11:49 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

I wouldn't do it. Klett make a nice tail wheel assy you can put on the bottom of the fuse and run springs to the rudder to steer. These are the best I have seen. I have also used CBA and they are good, but way more money. Put it on the rudder and you are likely to loose the rudder on a rough field.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:42 AM
den1tjb

I would say it just kinda depends on the size of the plane. (sorry, I'm not too familiar with it so I don't know it off the top of my head) I have gotten away with putting it on the rudder without damage to the rudder, but I also fly off a beautiful asphalt runway. I know it is going to catch me some day, but I typically fly smaller models (40 size). If you get any bigger than that, definitely mount it on the fuse. Better safe than sorry...

Ty
Old 02-11-2003, 05:27 PM
strobelights

thanks for the inputs regarding the tailwheel assembly, this is most neglected subject in my view, i've seen many tips on other rc subjectsas far as assembling is concerned but the most ignored area is the tailwheel , setup ,installations. thanks again flyboy & den1tjb.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:38 PM
G.F. Reid

In addition to all the above, it just wouldn't look right at all for a P-47 to have the tailwheel attached to the rudder. Frankly, I think the spring/tiller arm setup is all wrong too for this particular plane.
Why not connect it as outlined in the Manual? I haven't built this particular kit but all the warbirds I've constructed without a retractable tailwheel called for the tailwheel to be mounted with a bearing to one of the formers inside the fuse and a tiller arm to be attached to the rudder pushrod or a separate pushrod going to the rudder servo. Very much like the nosewheel on a trainer, only buried inside the fuse.
It's not difficult, works good, looks better on this kind of plane and is troublefree.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:13 PM
strobelights

in the manual they have a double ended ball link attached to the rudder pushrod, but then whenever i would use the transmitter to test rudder & steering operation the ball link would pop out of the housing part, i don't know if there is any all metal ball link assembly out there on the market today that would be harder to come apart than the plastic, i didn't want to use the setup config in the manual, i was trying an alternative, the alternative was to take the tailwheel bracket , screw it to bottom of fuse below pushrod exit, and take the axle ,bend the tip and glue it in tail of rudder using a wheel collar to take pressure off rudder, at least that is what i hope.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:34 PM
G.F. Reid

Is there any way to run a seperate pushrod from the rudder servo to the tailwheel ball link?
Old 02-12-2003, 03:01 AM
nchrome

Default tailwheels on big birds

Originally posted by strobelights
in the manual they have a double ended ball link attached to the rudder pushrod, but then whenever i would use the transmitter to test rudder & steering operation the ball link would pop out of the housing part, i don't know if there is any all metal ball link assembly out there on the market today that would be harder to come apart than the plastic, i didn't want to use the setup config in the manual, i was trying an alternative, the alternative was to take the tailwheel bracket , screw it to bottom of fuse below pushrod exit, and take the axle ,bend the tip and glue it in tail of rudder using a wheel collar to take pressure off rudder, at least that is what i hope.
On my P-47 I plan on putting in an extra servo up near the tank then running a pushrod to the tail wheel seperately but electricaly connect to the rudder. This way if I loose the tailwheel I wont loose the rudder especially after a take off. Pluss if I need the nose weight the extra servo will help.