Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Cessna 182 build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Cessna 182 build

Old 03-08-2007, 04:33 PM
teookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite Cessna 182 build

Here are some photos of my Cessna build:

Here is the box that the sticks come it.

Those gorgeous flaps are what sold me on this model. :-)

Here I have the stab in-work over the plans.

This is the first model I've built with pins. I actually really like it! Makes it lots easier to line up parts and hold them in one place.

Here is the stab all framed up.

This is how far along the stab is right now. I want to get a razor plane to shape the tips so that I don't suffocate myself with balsa dust by sanding them.

I've got the fin framed up too.

I never have liked edge gluing balsa sheets together, but the more I do it the better I get at it. I've been using regular carpenters wood glue because it is easy to clean up the excess, and easy to sand. I do have to wait overnight to use the skin though. A trade off I am willing to live with.

Feel free to comment if you would like. I'm trying to make this build as professional as I can. I'm considering glassing it, and will definitely power it with a four-stroke.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:28 AM
nzak

Default RE: Top Flite Cessna 182 build

Teookie, I am building the same plane now and am in roughly the same place you are. I am looking at going VERY scale with it. Thinking the BME 90 gas engine. It has a pump on the carb so fuel tank position is no problem, at least from what I have read. Maybe I am crazy, but I am seriously considering putting fuel tanks in the wings at the CG point.

What are your plans for this model?

Nick
Old 03-09-2007, 03:30 PM
teookie

Nzak,

I am going to make it as scale as I can, within reason. I'm not one to simulate thousands of rivets... I'm leaning towards a Saito 100 twin for power, but it is very expensive at $500.

How would you put fuel in the wing? Do you have a bladder type fuel tank or something? The wing is only about 1.75" thick.

I'm wondering what the effects of a heavy engine (the Saito Twin, or the BME gas 90) will be on flight. Anyone have experience with this?

Finished the fin last night. Next up is the rudder and then I start on the wings!
Old 03-09-2007, 06:02 PM
mikemedic2

This is the plane I want to build after my TF GE 1/7 mustang, so your timing is great. I am about halfway through with that build. I will be watching all the way. Good luck with the build and please keep those pictures coming.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:52 PM
nzak

Teookie,
I was looking at the saito 100 twin also. It looks like it would fit nicely inside the cowl. I just dont know how to get fuel from 2 tanks to it without a pump, thats why i decided to try the BME 90 instead. I plan on building a test stand for the engine with the tanks in a location that would simulate the mounting position on the plane. Then I will know more about how it will work in the model. For the tanks, I found some 11.1 ounce ducted fan model tanks that i think with only some small mods will work directly at th CG of the model. Its still just a plan right now, only time will tell if it is going to work.

I saw one at a swap meet in Perry Georgia last weekend, it had what looked like a G-23 mounted on it!! Of course the bottom of the cowl was open. It has to be heavier than the saito or bme. I couldnt find the owner around to ask for sure what it was and I had my camera in my hand, but for some reason I cannot explain, I didnt take a picture of it!!!(stupid!!)[&o]

I am going to try to use the fueling point that is available in the same location as the real fuel caps. Still figuring it all out. I will try to find a link to the fuel tank and fueling connections to post here. I do recall the measurements of the tank were very close to the distance between the spars. maybe a little shaving of wood and some bracing above and below the tank since the webs wont be used between three of the ribs.

I need to get back to work on mine, I have been distracted by the Avistar Select that I think will fly close to the Cessna. It has a few flights on it now and I plan on flying it tomorrow too. The Heli-Max Axe CP I got a couple weeks ago is not helping with my build time either! I have too many distractions!! I am going to work on it tonight, hopefully at least get the the fin glued.

One last thing, I am seriously considering the rivets and also glassing it then covering with flitemetal. I am concerned with weight though. I still need to find a 182Q to model it after. You going with the one on the box or doing a different one?

Nick
Old 03-10-2007, 09:03 PM
nzak

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXFU31&P=K

See if that works, its a Sullivan tank. I guess only 1mm per spar is all that i would need to sand off.

Nick
Old 03-11-2007, 09:50 AM
nzak

Oops, forgot about this. The tanks in the wing idea is a lot more involved. Dont know that it will work at all, I forgot that when I was looking into it, I didnt take into account the ribs. You can tell I have been sidetracked for a while. I left off wanting to find a tank that will fit between the ribs. I may end up making them. Forget the previous post, sorry if I caused some confusion.

Nick
Old 03-11-2007, 01:31 PM
teookie

Nick,

How do you think that gasser will sound? I saw that it revs up to ~15000 rpm??? That's smokin for a .90! Have you checked if it will fit completely inside the cowl? I really want an engine that fits, but I want a four-stroke for the sound. I'm still leaning towards the saito, but the prospect of gas is definitely appealing (no mess). I still need to find out what that weight of engine will do to the wing loading etc. Guess I just need to sit down and crunch the numbers sometime.

What do you think about mounting an engine inverted? There is that simulated radiator on the cowl that could be cut out for cooling. I just don't know if it will be enough... Could always duct air down from the top...

I got my wing center section started. Will post pics probably tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:45 PM
nzak

Dude! I just got back from flying the Avistar. What a perfect day for flying, absolutely no wind and 78 degrees. I am getting back in the hang of flying after a 12 year break. Enough about that.

I like the way a gasser sounds. Seems pretty scale to me even if it is a 2 stroke. From what I have read, which I need to brush up on again, the BME 90 is a super tigre 90 converted to gas and the super tigre 90 is supposed to be a a bored version of the 61. SO, quite small with good power. Should definitely fit inside the cowl. I have heard the RPM numbers for it too, just not sure if 15,000 is really correct. Seems a bit on the high side. I think being inverted, most engines seem to run fine as long as they get fuel. If I remember right, the Saito will have to be inverted because of the height of the carbs. It should fit inside the cowl, at least from the measurements I got and transfered to the plans. I would love to have that engine, but I am stuck on long flight time with fuel tanks in the wings. I need a pump. Was considering using a smoke pump to pump fuel, just have absolutely no knowledge of them or if that would even work. Then comes more weight, more wing loading, higher stall speed. If I am not careful, this thing may turn into the Spruce Goose!!

I have spent more time researching all the ideas that I have for this plane and a lot less time working on it. I cant go much farther til 'wing time' so I really need to get on it and figure out what I am going to do.

Nick
Old 03-11-2007, 11:00 PM
teookie

Hey Nick, funny you should mention the Spruce Goose because I can look out my office window anytime it isn't foggy and see it! I work right across the street from the Evergreen Aviation Museum (www.sprucegoose.org) where that plane is on display. It is truly amazing, let me know if you would like to see some pics.

I've been thinking that all you really need is a pump, then you can run whatever engine you want (gas or glow), and still put the tanks in the wing. I've looked at perry pumps before and there are not that expensive. I have no idea how they work though, so I guess I will "have" to research it a bit.

I don't get out to fly that often, especially during the winter due to wind and rain. I am sure looking forward to flying the dust off of my tower uproar though!

My next post will have updated pics and a few things I've learned about the kit so far.

Until then...
Old 03-12-2007, 02:23 PM
nzak

I remember when the goose was with the Queen Mary in California. My age is showing a bit. I never got to see it in person though[]

I was looking at the Perry pumps earlier today, only problem they said its not recommended for opposing cylinders!! I got excited thinking I may be able to use the Saito 100 after all, then the fine print jumped out at me!! Guess I will stick with the BME 90. I am realing liking the idea of gas anyway, especially after the cleanup yesterday. Even with the exhaust deflector the plane was a mess.

Anxious to see the updates from your plane. oh, thanks for the motivation to get back going on mine. I didn't know anyone else was still building one of these. Most of the posts I have run into are from a few years ago.

Nick
Old 03-12-2007, 02:42 PM
teookie

OK. Time for a photo update:

I got the Rudder and Fin built up,

Here is a tip for running wiring through the fin for a strobe light: When drilling the 3/16" holes in the center of the fin ribs, drill at the angle that the outer pushrod tube will be passing through the ribs at. I just set the ribs on a block of wood and drilled straight down, so that after they were assembled with one side of the fin sheeted, I could not slide a pushrod tube through the holes because they were to tight. The solution to this problem is to drill at an angle, or use a bigger drill bit. Since I could not get the pushrod tube to slide through the ribs, I just glued the wiring in place w/o a tube. This should work, but now I have to deal with the wire sticking out the top of the fin while I sand it to shape.

I also had a mis-hap with the rudder torque block. I forgot to put it in before I applied the sheeting! Fortunately I was able to cut a tight fitting hole and slip in in place, securing it with lots of CA. I think it should work fine.

Once the fin/rudder were "done", I got to start on the wing:

I have the center section built up minus gluing in the dowels and wing bolt plates.

I'm having a lot of fun building this and am looking forward to seeing more of it take shape!
Old 03-12-2007, 02:51 PM
teookie

Dont' worry about showing your age. On the internet, it's all about just showing that your not a punk teenager w/ to much time on your hands!! :-)

By the way, I did an inventory on my kit and found out that I'm missing a wing bolt. I recommend you do an inventory as well if you have not already. I emailed top flite and got a response back the same day. They are shipping me the missing bolt, as well as a replacement windshield because mine arrived w/ dents in it.

The perry pump works on crankcase pressure, right? That is probably why they don't recommend them for twins. But if the 100 fires both cylinders at the same time it should have similar crank pressure fluctuations to a single... Something else to look into. Even with a pump though, you still have to find a way to put fuel in the wing.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:13 PM
phattires

Teookie: i hope you keep up with your build on this forum. I to would love to build this plane....just not sure wether my building skills would be up to the challenge..
Regards
Old 03-12-2007, 06:57 PM
teookie

phattires: Watching me build this should put your mind at ease about having the necessary skills (I hope)! I am an intermediate builder at best.

I do intend to keep this thread updated. There might be long lapses though as I await further funding at various points.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:45 PM
nzak

I know how to put fuel in both tanks,http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXK136&P=K That was the part that wasn't so hard. Just pressure to get the fuel to the engine. These should fit below a false fuel cap. Getting the fuel to the engine is my biggest concern.

Now if I can get the big tanks in the wings???

I have read that the Saito fires both at the same time too, I am just clueless when it comes to the pressure part of that. I think a phone call to a knowledgeable person at Perry is in order. Maybe a conference call between a Saito and Perry engineer would benifit them both greatly?? I dont know.

I do know that before I go much farther I need to get the engine and build the test stand to see if the pump on the BME 90 is strong enough for 2 tanks. I need some balsa to cut wing ribs and a spar to check my fuel tank and wing for strength. Too complicated
Old 03-13-2007, 01:10 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
When building a scale airplane ...always keep it simple! That means not using pumps!
Just put the tank as close to the firewall as possible.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41596.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	641506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71995.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	641507  
Old 03-13-2007, 03:02 PM
teookie

jaka, is that the TF kit? It looks really good!
Old 03-15-2007, 02:28 PM
teookie

Well, I found another engine to consider for this plane:

[link]http://www.rcvengines.com/rcv91cd.htm[/link]

I watched the videos and it sounds really good. It also fits in the cowl no problem. It has virtually the same power as other engines I've considered. However, it is a little on the heavy side at 29.96 oz. Here is a spreadsheet I'm using to compare engines: [link]http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p4uWVnNZIIhS9co6drthGJg[/link]

Now, and update.

I've been able to spend a few hours on the project the past few days and this is what I've accomplished:

This is the left wing panel in build process. It went together very well, and I only made a few mistakes. :-) I accidentally smashed a W13 rib so I had to glue it back together, and I cut the slot in W6/W7 a little wider than .25" so I had to fill in the void w/ scrap balsa and epoxy.

Another angle.

Here it is with both spars in place, and both trailing edges as well. All thats left is some servo rails, gussets, and the leading edge and I can remove this wing half from the building board.

This has been my most interesting built up wing to date, and the fist time I've built a wing this complicated that was not foam core.

Cheers!
Old 03-16-2007, 12:21 PM
nzak

It's looking good man!!!
Old 03-16-2007, 06:05 PM
oldtyme

This is a nice build. I have the fuse about half done and the tailfeathers done too. The engine I'm going to use is an OS61FS with an in-cowl header and muffler. I know a lot of people say that is not a big enough engine but that is the one that Top Flite recommends. I talked to their test staff and they said they built it with all options and then added two additional pounds of weight and it still had plenty of reserve power. Remember that this is a scale plane and over-powering it will detract from it's performance. I flew the real thing for awhile and that plane will not do 3D or any other aerobatic routine, it is a passenger carrier and when taking off the nose is not pointed very high. This is one thing that I had to reign myself in on when I went from sport to scale. You actually have to fly the wing on these scale ships.

Good build article..........keep it coming.

Andy
Old 03-16-2007, 06:21 PM
teookie

Thanks for the comments on engine choices, Andy. I'm not looking to overpower mine, I just want it to sound good - hence the four stroke. I did not know that Top-Flite loaded the plane w/ two pounds of ballast before flight, thats good info and makes me feel better about using a heavier engine. I want my muffler in the cowl too. I don't think it will be a problem with a four stroke, but if it is I'll just make my own!

I purchased this plane so I would have a plane for "lazy Sunday" type flying. Sometimes I just want to fly around! I'll save the snap rolls and 500 degrees/second roll rate for the uproar. :-)

Later...
Old 03-16-2007, 07:48 PM
iron eagel

The rcv 91 should be a good match for the plane, nice looking build you have so far. Good luck with her!
But as oldtyme says, an os 61 should work well also, as far as scale flight, with the 91 she will have plenty of pep not to mention it has a sweet sound in the air.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:41 PM
oldtyme

OK........I do have to confess that I bought a Saito 100GK and was thinking of installing it in this bird. The only thing that still bothers me is not wanting to have a big muffler sticking out in a non scale position. I've seen Slimline mufflers for Saitos so I just might look into that.

There.......I've come out of the closet! >

Andy
Old 03-16-2007, 09:29 PM
iron eagel

ORIGINAL: oldtyme

OK........I do have to confess that I bought a Saito 100GK and was thinking of installing it in this bird. The only thing that still bothers me is not wanting to have a big muffler sticking out in a non scale position. I've seen Slimline mufflers for Saitos so I just might look into that.

There.......I've come out of the closet! >

Andy
Nothing wrong with having extra power...
Sometimes it can get you out what would have been an impact otherwise...

One of the nice things about r/c is the thrust to weight ratios we can have.
And as long as you realize you have a throttle and not an on off switch you can still fly them real scale.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.