Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Why would you "build" a kit rather than assemble and ARF

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Why would you "build" a kit rather than assemble and ARF

Old 05-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Dirtnaper
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why would you "build" a kit rather than assemble and ARF

Im so tired of ARF 3d planes. Yeah I have some profiles and some 40%'rs its cool to go drag the tail in the grass and giggle like little girls. However 3 days ago I was revived. I took my old ultra sport 60 out to the field. It felt soooo good to fly a plane that truly flies well. I just thought to my self wow! Every pass I made down the field was aw inspiring. I climbed out at about a 20* angle and sucked up the gear. You could almost feel the acceleration. All of a sudden she was about out of sight, a left turn brought us face to face. I lowered the nose and like a cheetah on an antelope down she came into a rage. Down at the end of the runway the nose came up and she settled into level pass at about 5 ft off the grass. All of the sudden, all the talking behind me fell into a dark silence. She went by in a blur, the old OS was up on the MAC pipe screaming like some sort of deamon. My ears were tingling and my fingers shaking as the throttle came back into near silent idle. I pulled her strait up bleeding off years of built up fury and speed. The inertia alone took her to the far reaches of my sight. That little voice inside was yelling "do it again, do it again, do it again." After a perfect landing in which she just barely kissed the ground and rolled to a stop, I taxied in. Withing in seconds I hear a newb "is that a new ARF". I replied "Nope, I built it, it burns nitro and drips of oil and its loud, really really loud" ( and I love it)

Aw, remember those days when flying wasnt limited to whats being built in Singapore, China etc etc.

Sorry guys, this probably didnt need to be posted. Its just amazing to think of all the planes I have, including some hi-dollar giant scale ARFs, that one of the oldest birds in the fleet can make you feel the best.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why would you "build" a kit rather than assemble and ARF

Excellent description! And you can't beat the feeling of seeing something you built from sticks light up the sky!
Old 05-04-2007, 11:51 AM
pt40crasher

I was all fired up to call you a troll...
Old 05-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And here I thought I was becoming part of the dwindling past. There is life out there and others that still get a thrill out of flying a model that you put yourself into. Cookie cutter look alikes turn me off!
Old 05-04-2007, 12:19 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Man can't live on ARF's alone.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:43 PM
TopherGreen81

I am Building my first plane now from a kit. Everyone asks me why didn't you just get an ARF? IMHO I think I will get more satisfation flying something I built from sticks. But what do I know I have not even flown a plane yet. Chris
Old 05-04-2007, 12:48 PM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have found for me that building in the winter and buying arf's in the summer is the way to go!!
The best flying plane i have at the moment is a H9 1.50 stang. The best flying one of all time was a CG Extra 300 kit built and these two are the ones all others are measured by.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:05 PM
ouflyer

I new to this hobby, and have almost completed my kit. I have loved every minute of it! I have already ordered a couple of more kits to build later. I've lurked here for quite a while and have seen several threads on kits and arf's. To each his/her own. I personally think that while kits are dwindling, and arf's are the hot ticket, it will turn around. Just like when wooden floors were common, then it was carpeting, then tile/linoleum. Now wooden floors are coming back. Who knows, kits could become a thing of the past. I hope not. Just my 2cents worth

CC
Old 05-04-2007, 01:30 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Because I can
Old 05-04-2007, 02:12 PM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

THAT is the reason we build, as well as the build for a journey to be savored.

Well done, Well said

Thanks Carl
Old 05-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Pull an old ARF out of the rafters 6yrs from now and see if it flies that good and makes you feel that good.

I love my kit built planes.

Yes, I fly ARFs too, but they just don't seam to hold up as long or fly as well.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:46 PM
rcdivot

I bought 3 new arfs this winter and crashed them all last weekend!

Then I woke up from my dream and noticed I still have 7 kits that are waiting to be built!
Old 05-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Don41

Chuckle,,, good one.

I was intending to say that if you had to ask then I'd be wasting my time trying to explain it.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:07 PM
heli_Rod

I don't think ARF's will ever replace building for me. I was burnt out building for awhile, but have recovered from that.

ARF's have a place in model aviation. Many people simply don't like to build or even have the time to do so. ARF's have come a long ways from what they were back in the 70's and 80's. Anyone remember those Pilot ARF's that lasted one flight before the plastic cracked on the fuselages? Repairing them was all but impossible.

I love flying what I build. I am proud of my craftsmanship (I'm not a perfectionist). It feels good to give flight to something I crafted myself.

I remember when I was learning to fly R/C in the late 60's that I would crash a couple planes every time I went to the field. Most incidents were repairable, but it took a toll on the planes after awhile. It would have been nice to have the availibility of todays ARF's back then when the season was still in full swing and I had nothing left but junk to fly and there wasn't time to build another plane before the season ended.

Today's ARF's are cheap, reasonably well built and fly pretty darn good......but give me a kit built plane any day!

I feel good when I say "yeah, I built it"!

Just my 2 cents,

Rod
Old 05-04-2007, 04:51 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

building a kit been there done that have the planes still in my hanger

to many good builders out there doing the da%% thing for me to build

i heard while you are in the basement building the arf guy is flying
Old 05-04-2007, 05:07 PM
teookie

Building is just as fun as flying. Flying something you built is akin to a spiritual experience.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:03 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

Building an airplane like an ultra sport or a kaos or something that is simply a classic airplane is just like flying it. It's like the scene in "Days of Thunder" where Robert Duval is talking to the tube chassis of the car and describing what the build process will be and how it will benefit the car. That's how building an airplane is for me; especially an airplane with classic traits and qualities like an ultra sport.

I too have a US60 with an OS 61 on it with a macs muffler, I know what you're talking about exactly. Unfortuantely mine has suffered from a somewhat more than minor crunch due to a dead stick (was having so much fun I ran out of gas). Once I finish my Kougar I'll be working on the repairs and might upgrade the engine to a 91 4 stroke.

The last 2 or 3 years myself I've been building a bunch of ARFs and I'm just not satisfied with them. The build process is usually just annoying where as when I build something I'm able to follow the directions and if I don't care for it I've got bare wood and my mind to re engineer it. I'm to the point now where I simply am burnt out on ARFs and while there are some that I like out there - I just don't seem to have much interest in them.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:52 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some people should not be around power tools. They can't help it. It is just the way they were born. Even an X-acto knife is a challenge for them. These folks need RTF models. I predict the demise of ARFs.

Anyone that can successfully build and fly a kit, can, with a little patience and work, design and build and fly their own models. It is simply a matter of degree.

If you think that kit building and flying gives you a rush, just wait until your own design takes to the air. <G>

Ed Cregger
Old 05-04-2007, 10:10 PM
bigstew60
My Feedback: (35)

I have built kits, had an ARF, and built from plans. All thought I enjoyed the ARF, you just cant beat the feeling of flying a plane you built and even better than than started only with plans. My next goal will be to design own from the ground up. I am starting on that as soon as I figure this turbo CAD out.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:36 PM
ouflyer

I don't know about everyone else, but this is my first RC kit build. I've built several CL kits as well. Between the two, I've noticed there is a lot more detail in the RC kits. You have to take your time. The actual build went fast. But getting everything set up is what was so neat and time consuming. I've learned so much from this. You lean skills that you have never thought about using.

CC
Old 05-04-2007, 11:55 PM
krayzc-RCU

i also like AR Eat food
Old 05-05-2007, 12:39 AM
fordboy76

ARFs have their place, I have yet to build a plane though I look forward to it. I am not sure that the addiction would be as bad if I had started with a kit. Though I am paying for it now as the planes I want to build are more advanced than me building skills. They may be currently beyond my piloting skills, but I figure I will get over that by the end of the summer. I will probably buy a couple of kits for winter builds and eventually sell off my arfs as PNPs. I know a number of accomplished pilots at the club that have no desire to build, they have done it but now just want to fly. I don't think ARFs will die and with Horizon Hobby's PNP program it is far cheaper to buy the run of the mill ARF than build a kit. I am glad to see GP starting to put reissue kits as I feel I have missed out on soo many planes/kits hope they keep them coming and I hope the laser cutters keep burning the great kits
Old 05-05-2007, 05:22 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

I like them all - plans, kits, ARF and RTF. I want to exclude none of them from my experience. After all, experience is what all of this is about.

The flying field culture is different today because of ARF, RTF models and credit cards. Back when everything had to be paid for in cash, it made one a lot pickier about what they bought. With the cost of electronics dropping so low, compared to what they used to be, many of us have a radio, or at least a flight pack, for most of the models in our stables. There were times when we were lucky to have one decent radio and an extra flight pack to our name.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-05-2007, 07:07 AM
camdyson

ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

building a kit been there done that have the planes still in my hanger

to many good builders out there doing the da%% thing for me to build

i heard while you are in the basement building the arf guy is flying
Cool - do they have lights on their planes?...............
Old 05-05-2007, 08:12 AM
krayzc-RCU

most def[8D]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.