Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

What 1/5th scale cub to get

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Great Planes Piper J-3 Cub 40 Kit
9.52%
Goldberg Anniversary Piper Cub Kit
22.22%
Sig 1/5 Piper J-3 Cub Kit
65.08%
other
3.17%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

What 1/5th scale cub to get

Old 05-05-2007, 08:12 AM
gumhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What 1/5th scale cub to get

Ok, Im gonna build a small cub for my next plane. I’m looking at the GP 40 size and the CG Anniversary Cub. I like the CG cup but it has strip ailerons. I really want something scale. I have some renewed faith in Great Planes since they are re-releasing some great old kits.

Please help me decide!
Old 05-05-2007, 09:00 AM
gumhead

Default RE: What 1/5th scale cub to get

More info...

I plan on putting in an O.S. FS-70 II Surpass that I have. The plane will be covered in Koverall and painted.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:08 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

gumhead,

Check out the SIG 1/5 scale Cub. It's a great kit, laser cut, very scale and good quality all around. For a .70 4-stroke it's about ideal. This a newly designed kit and not a leftover from the '70s. I wish SIG would do more of this kind of thing.

papermache
Old 05-05-2007, 11:51 AM
gumhead

ORIGINAL: papermache

gumhead,

Check out the SIG 1/5 scale Cub. It's a great kit, laser cut, very scale and good quality all around. For a .70 4-stroke it's about ideal. This a newly designed kit and not a leftover from the '70s. I wish SIG would do more of this kind of thing.

papermache

Oh geesh... I didnt even see that one I put it up in the poll.
Most of the threads around here for 1/5th cubs are about the Goldberg Anniversary cub, I thought that was the one to go for.

The SIG 1/5 scale Cub looks to be just what I want.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Don41

I'm in the process of building the Sig 1/5 scale and have found the kit and instructions to be first rate. I have yet to fly her however so I'm only addressing the kit quality.

I have mounted the OS 52 four stroke. I prefer the smaller engines for this type of plane because they create a more realistic flight _ IMHO.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:12 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

I can't vouch for how the CG builds, but the Sig is very, very nice. It was my first scale build, and my second kit. It has survived a steep learning curve, still gets flown at least once a month, still gets comments any time it's at the field. It is also done with Koverall and dope, flies with a .65 Saito, and weighs 11 pounds from mods and repairs.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:09 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 1/5th Cub by Sig is a builder - somewhat anyway....but well worth it! VERY scale-like...flying mine w/ OS .52!
Old 05-05-2007, 04:32 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

I have the Sig 1/5, koverall and latex paint. I also have a Magnum 4s 70 so as to turn a scale sized prop. It is way overpowered, and if you put a 70 4s in yours, you need to take a blood oath not to open the throttle all the way, and to fly it scale like. I've been trying to fly mine scale like, and it ain't easy. The full scale plane does not rock the wings constantly and doesn't squirm from engine torque when increasing the throttle setting. The idea of expo on a Cub is ridiculous, but it does help tame the ailerons. Trimming for flight is like the full scale: once it's trimmed, if you change the throttle, it needs to be retrimmed. Darn! So much more work than a regular ol' sport plane. Guess I better get rid of it. If you don't fly it scale like, the Cub Police will smash down your door and take you away where you will be sentenced to hover something for the rest of eternity. Good luck.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:10 PM
iron eagel

The Sig kit is great, easy to build and light.
Get the scale functional gear kit and you have the heart of a nice scale airplane that will go nice with that OS 70.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:18 AM
woodworm

Hello, this is my SIG 1/5 Cub (modified to L-4 ). Very, very good kit. The struts and gear are not SIG original.

Woodworm
Old 05-08-2007, 08:55 AM
gumhead

Looks like the Sig 1/5 Piper J-3 Cub Kit wins...

I keep every one updated on how it goes
Old 05-08-2007, 11:55 AM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Get the Sig and then put a Saito 60 twin on it. Get an extended cowl from Stan's and then cut it horizontally to get to the engine. It will fly great, the engine looks great, and the sound is awesome!

Rich

Wyoming Wind Festival Jan 1 to Dec 31
Old 06-06-2007, 09:16 AM
David Smith

Could one of the Sig 1/5 scale Cub builders please tell me whether this model is designed with a one or two piece wing. I am looking for a model to house my Saito 100 twin (I know it's a bit big, but will over-prop and not use full power) and this looks ideal IF the wing is two piece - restricted space in workshop and car mean a one-piece wing of this size is impossible.

Thank you,

David Smith, Elimäki, Finland
Old 06-06-2007, 09:30 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Yes, it is a two piece wing.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:58 PM
khodges

I'll expand on Jim's reply; two piece wing, the center section is part of the fuse. The kit has an aluminum wing tube (two, actually) that inserts from both sides and the wings slide on it, and have a locator pin at the rear of the root rib, and the wings secure to the cabin with a 6-32 screw from the inside of the cabin (the functional door/window allow plenty of room to get both hands inside to hook up servo leads, attach wings, etc). The wing struts are FUNCTIONAL and must be in place to fly the plane. The cabin structure is pretty solid; when I converted mine to an L-4 (BTW Woodworm, NICE L-4) I left the wing tubes out and just added another 6-32 hex screw to each wing attach.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:51 PM
David Smith

Thanks for the replies, I have ordered the kit, it will be one of next autumn's projects. I know the Saito 100 twin is a bit big for it, but I will be adding mounting points for floats and the extra power can be useful when flying off water.

Cheers,

David Smith, Elimäki, Finland
Old 06-08-2007, 02:47 PM
khodges

The 1.00 will look good sticking out, but even on floats will be way more power than you will need. The .90 twin would look more scale, as the valve covers are more similar to the full-scale's, and the .60 twin has enough power, even on a floatplane. The .65 single is right between the .60 twin and .90 twin in power output. My H-9 Cub weighs the same as my L-4 (11 pounds, or 5 kg) and is on floats. I have a .72 Saito in it and take off at half throttle.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:14 AM
David Smith

The .60 twin is a beaut, but I have the 1.00, bought it second-hand but unrun for a good price (I could never have bought it at the regular price), and it is crying out for a model to showcase it. I just want to fly this one around and listen to it

David Smith
Old 06-23-2007, 11:16 AM
pt19 flyer

hi

hangar 9 has an excellent flyer. several in club flying this one

good luck and happy flying

pt19 flyer
Old 06-23-2007, 04:50 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Plane's Cub kit stinks!!!

I built one to scale and that meant many changes to the kit itself and add ons. What I didn't like was parts missing, very poor wood, cracked ribs or completely missing ribs, and what wood was good was warped. I had to stop for a week at a time to get the wood I needed. I said I could go to the local Hobby Shop but I bought the kit, why pay more. I haven't painted it yet so I won't bother with any photos. I turned mine into a Super Cub with a FS cowling and with it the .91 Magnum fit completely inside the cowling hanging inverted. Anyway That was the first and last Great Planes kit I will ever buy or build. I hope the rest of you that got their kit didn't have my problems.

Gibbs