Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

ARF?, no thanks.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

ARF?, no thanks.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 08:10 AM
MP3_tilaco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARF?, no thanks.

In my club we are a few who love build our own planes, we see the ARF is killing the kits and a good friend design this logo, I found it in Ben Buckle web and I asked to my friend did it for me.
I build a lot of badges and I gave it to my building friend.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:13 AM
MP3_tilaco

Default RE: ARF no thanks

sorry for the size.
This is the original badge.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:53 AM
Adonis

LOL! Oh my gosh! This is funny! Some of you guys really make me laugh!
Old 08-29-2007, 11:26 AM
Dr1Driver

Kits are built, ARFs are ASSEMBLED.

To build or to die, that's my motto.

Dr.1
Old 08-29-2007, 11:42 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dr1Driver

Kits are built, ARFs are ASSEMBLED.

To build or to die, that's my motto.

Dr.1
Reminds me of the kid who lived next door to me a bout 15 yrs ago. Avid skate boarder, & pretty good kid. All he ever said to me was "Skate or Die Dude".
Old 08-29-2007, 01:28 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good for you... I build myself as well.. I can understand the arf thing.. many don't have garages, or extra room or time, or..... but man I love building as much as flying. It's nice to show up with a plane nobody else has...
Mike
Old 08-29-2007, 02:26 PM
0z0

Mi estimado amigo mishhhh donde nos encontramos...

Best regards
Old 08-29-2007, 03:37 PM
MP3_tilaco

Esta es una campaña internacional...
Old 08-29-2007, 04:02 PM
chashint

Funny badge.
I am glad the graphic is not crude or offensive.
Personally I have no problem with the ARF or those that like them.
Building a plane from a kit does not make me a better person than someone buying an ARF.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:51 PM
MP3_tilaco

That is a point , people like as who love build can show that building time is a great experience, is an art and is funny too.
When new guy came to our club we can teach to apreciate this technics and motivate them to try to build their own models.
ARF is great too because is cheap and many guys can fly, but the kits planes are different, is a real challenge and you can give to your plane your personal style.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:31 AM
0z0

ORIGINAL: MP3_tilaco

That is a point , people like as who love build can show that building time is a great experience, is an art and is funny too.
When new guy came to our club we can teach to apreciate this technics and motivate them to try to build their own models.
ARF is great too because is cheap and many guys can fly, but the kits planes are different, is a real challenge and you can give to your plane your personal style.

That´s right my friend I agree, is a real proud see your plane flying after many hours of building.

Best regards
Old 08-30-2007, 09:56 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Many 'kit builders' stick their noses up at guys who only fly ARF's....but I rarely see a GOOD pilot act that same way toward someone who isn't so good with the sticks.......
Old 09-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Dr1Driver

Many 'kit builders' stick their noses up at guys who only fly ARF's

I've never "stuck my nose up" at AFR flyers. I fully realize the time, space, and skill constraints that might make someone choose an ARF over a kit. It just ain't my cup of tea. Since my teenage control line years, with white glue and silk and dope, I've always built my planes, and will continue to do so as long as I retain my building ability. As for the ARFers, I'm glad you can find something to fly.

Dr.1
Old 09-01-2007, 08:46 PM
MP3_tilaco

When I see my planes and remember when it was just a box with a lot of wood and stick and I stand in front of my plane in the field waiting formy first fly,I only enjoy this moment, my hand is wet for my nervius and run to full the engine and my plane jump to the air.
I have two ARF and I have 10 planes from kit ready to fly and I have 40 kits waiting for me. I love fly and I love to build, I love this special smell to balsa.

My maiden flight

I did this badget no for offence or fight, is only for say I CAN BUILD AND FLY TOO.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:54 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

building is part of the hobby, besides we're helping the chinese out way too much.
i don't think too many ARFS are made in the USA.

to build , yes, to build
Old 09-01-2007, 09:05 PM
eniac

I get a kick out of the number of guys in the crash forum who are mainly arf guys, yet they fix every crash. Manually reconstructing everything from the wingmount to firewall sections with no plans, just parts. Later you find them here with 'first kit build' threads. It's a good cycle, but alot of the ARF guys do some pretty astounding repair work. Work I know I'd not invest in an ARF, I'd rather be in that 'building a new plane' mood.

Great hobby,
eniac
Old 09-01-2007, 09:30 PM
yearning-to-fly

Hi all,
I built control line kits as a kid and enjoyed building as much as flying, and certainly had more hours of entertainment doing the builds. I've only recently re-entered the hobby and bought my son an EasyStar electric to learn on. We've had fun learning to fly that, but I have the itch to build something. I've been searching the 'net for kits and am dismayed at the lack of choices. I'm looking for a kit for a trainer that's right for a .15 O.S. Max engine I happened into. I'll appreciate any suggestions where I can find a selection of kits. Thanks, Tom
Old 09-01-2007, 09:48 PM
tailskid

I have nice kit that would make an excellent "1st" Sig Kadet Seniorita" Trainer....I can make you an excellent deal - and it is still NIP!
Old 09-02-2007, 07:04 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

This is always an interesting subject to me. I am definitely more of a builder than an ARF guy. I don't have any problem with ARF's but I do think that a lot has been lost in this hobby because of the "I want it now" mentality mentioned above. Many people don't realize how therapeutic building can be (at least, that's what it is for me). I have known lots of flyers that claim they don't have time to build but it just isn't their priority. When did FLYING become the hobby? If you ask me (not that anyone did) building is as much a part of the hobby as flying. I view building as an art form. It is a way of "expressing" oneself.

Forgive me, trite as it may be, it absolutely gets under my skin when someone talks about assembling ARF's as building. I visited a field about a year ago where one of the pilots there had four ARF's lined up. He had already torn the landing gear out of three of them (yes, all in the same day). As he was discussing the problem with an obviously more experienced flyer, I couldn't help notice that he kept referring to how he "built" all of those planes.

When I want to get a plane in the air fast just to have something to fly, an ARF is ok. Like I said, I have no problem with ARF's per se; in fact I have a GP Giant Super Sportster ARF that I am working on right now.... it is currently stripped to the bones so that I can make the modifications that I want before I cover it in fabric and dope!

Brian
Old 09-02-2007, 07:13 PM
tailskid

DOPE? Fabric? Watutalk'n about??? Gives a whole new light to the term 'dope money' <g>
Old 09-02-2007, 08:58 PM
mrbassman

MP3 tilaco.....I love the button, how can I get one?
Old 09-02-2007, 09:28 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny button! I just put 2 arfs together. I have about 80 kits and have built hundreds. I don't know what all the hype is about. I think both arfs were total pieces of garbage. They will fly fine for a flight or two, but they will come apart in the air in not much time. I strengthened them up, but they are pretty bad in general!
Old 09-02-2007, 09:33 PM
MP3_tilaco

I did some of them and I did a gift for my friend who build.
I can do another, if you want I send it to you and when you get it you can send me US$2.5 for pay the shipping fee and the button.
We can do something for the kits doen't disappears.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:34 PM
150flyer

I build both Kits and ARFs. While I can appreciate good craftsmanship in either one, I am more impressed with those possessing exceptional piloting skill through hours of productive practice. That is, those who can take any plane and turn an otherwise mundane flight into poetry. I've seen beautifully built Kits get dumb thumbed into the ground because the builder put ten times more effort into his build than his flying skills. If you are one of those who have (or who are in pursuit of) mastering both building and flying, then here's to you, otherwise, who cares how pretty your model is.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Ken Kehlet
My Feedback: (89)

ARF's ? My flying Buddy has 8 or 9 of them. Yes, he too talks about how long it took him to "BUILD" his latest model. (No, he didn't build it, he removed it from the box and assembled it in less then 8 hours)

[8D]On the other hand, I do build, from the Plans, I make up a "KIT" of all the Cut Parts, Ribs, Formers, Firewall, etc. and begin to "BUILD" the model. I have never counted the number of hours that I have spent Building, Covering, and Finishing. If I spent 300 hours "BUILDING" my model, how much is it worth ? May not look as good as the $600.00 ARF, but it's all mine and I'm proud of the fact that "I BUILT IT" It's my PRIDE that's Flying, and I know how to repair it.

ARF's are OK in their Place, in the hands of beginners or experts. If the flyer considers his ARF Assembly as a Build, the General Public will never know the difference. Only the Modeler's know the difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.