Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Elder 40 landing gear

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Elder 40 landing gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Don41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elder 40 landing gear

I've been framing up my Elder 40 and a couple of things about the gear has caught my eye.

1. The axle center line seems awfully far forward

2. The setup allows for no cushion except for the flex of the wheels which will be next to nothing on wire wheels.

I'll not be changing the gear location but I'll no doubt change the gear design to allow some give on landing.

Anyone here have an Elder 40 already in the air?
Old 09-18-2007, 05:59 PM
stang
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Elder 40 landing gear

You don't really need "give" on landing. The plane is a floater and settles nicely on a slow landing.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Don41

That's good to hear. It will save a lot of time if I don't have to "improve" on TopFlite's design.

I'll mount either my OS52 or Saito 56 so the weight will be up a little over a two stroke. I'm already flying a floater (Senior Telemaster) but I didn't expect to hear that term when describing the Elder.

I gather you haven't noticed any problems connected to the wheel position?

Regards
Old 09-19-2007, 12:18 PM
stang
My Feedback: (1)

No I haven't had any problems with this wheel position. After talking about this model I am off to the LHS right now to pick up another one if they have any in stock. I love flying this aircraft on a warm Sunday afternoon just floating down the runway about 3 feet of the deck. This one will be electric though, just for a something different.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:52 PM
nickj

I'm building an Elder 40 now. I've heard it can be hard to get the tail up on take-off with the mains so far forward. I built an Elder 20 many years ago and don't remember that problem, but I do remember the very slow landings.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Don41

The kit's going together very nicely and the wood seems to be top quality. I'm pretty much pleased with the kit.

I do feel that the firewall attachment is a little weak (I see a reviewer thought the same thing) so I added a couple of 1 inch balsa diagonals in the tank compartment to back up the firewall. I also form fitted a strong floor for the tank which will add to the strength as well. I don't want my brand new Saito 56 flying off in mid-air (:-).

Wing attachment bolts: I'm none too fond of tapping wood so I'm adapting the mount to accept blind nuts instead.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:53 PM
cubfloater
My Feedback: (5)

Hey Don finally flew my Astro Hog this past Sunday for the first time. Went well even though it was a bit windy and a crosswind. I'm cleaning out the shop and hope to put the Aircoupe on the board soon. Sounds like you got a jump on me with the Elder. Good luck with it.

Jim
Old 09-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Don41

Hi Jim.

Yep I couldn't wait to get my latest toy underway. A major part of the construction is done but as we all know the little details are the time killers.

Good luck on the Ercoupe. Keep us posted on how the balsa forming works out. I have some of that to do around the Elder's cowling but I'm going to try lamination (two 1/16th sheets instead of the supplied 1/8th). Hopefully lamination will make forming easier.

I plan to fly the Telemaster and LT40 this week. I'm expecting some wind as well so I may keep the Tele in the pit.