Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Recently discontinued kits...

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Recently discontinued kits...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 06:58 AM
Mopzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recently discontinued kits...

Looks like Hobbico and its sub companies are discontinuing so many cool planes! Like the twinstar, Ultra Sports, etc.. those two planes were just about the only planes from them that I would buy in the future! How sad. Just had to say this. Always sad to see nice products discontinued.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:36 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There have been a lot of great kits discontinued. Kind of a bummer. Sales drop and it gets expensive to make them. You can find them though. Put ads on the wanted section, cruise ebay and swap meets. I looked for 10 years for a Goldberg RC shoestring. Never found one. Now I have 8 of them. Gotta love this internet thing. Makes finding things so much easier.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:10 PM
djlyon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soon kits will be a black market item only.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:09 PM
Spike
My Feedback: (1)

Don't forget that you can get plans for some of the disconinued kits. The Ultra Sport 60 and Ultra Sport 1000 plans are available on RCM's site.

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/

There are other good plans sites too. Once example is www.rcstore.com.

Once you get a few under your belt, building from plans isn't that much more work.

Some of the other plans that I noted were the Kaos (several versions and sizes) and the Cloud Dancer (several sizes).

Happy Building!

- Spike
Old 03-28-2003, 08:10 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by djlyon
Soon kits will be a black market item only.
Yea, right.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:20 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, if you see one kit you like - buy it NOW, no telling when it won't be around!

Jerry
Old 03-29-2003, 05:51 PM
rich141

Originally posted by FLYBOY
Yea, right.
where there is a market for a product there will be some one to produce it.
do ya really think company'S like Sig and grate plane's are on there way out.not!
unless we have big depression and folk's cant afford to purchase simple thing's. of course that new car will be long gone by then.
my wife say's the kid's inheritance is hanging in the garage.
Old 03-29-2003, 08:39 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Kits will always be around, and at the worst, people like me with AutoCAD can make a custom design and have it lazer cut by a company and have it kitted. I doubt it will ever come to that as there are so many modelers that prefer to have there planes built by themselves
Old 03-30-2003, 12:57 AM
ramcharger

Like someone said thank goodness for the internet. I built a GP Aeromaster 60 and a Lou Andrews Aeromaster 60 this winter. In the past 5 years I built 2 red box TF P-51B Mustangs, a SIG 450 Mustang, a BelAir 40 bipe, and Ultra Sport 60. All have long been discontinued. Problem is some of these kits like the red boxes, SIG 450's and Aeromasters cost $150. Some guys are paying close to $200 for Dynaflite 40 size warbird kits.
Old 03-30-2003, 03:39 AM
Jaguar-RCU

Maybe Djlyon offered a tongue in cheek overstatement-but sometimes it seems not too far from true....It's maddening when you get a new Tower flyer in the mail and the first of only a small number of KITs is on page 23 or so!!, after sailplanes, electrics, and foamy backyard things... and ARFs. ...kinda like they are an afterthought.
Old 03-30-2003, 03:58 AM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Strange with the apparent interest in some of these planes they should be profitable to produce.Sure miss the twinstar,local dealer had one wanted $200 for it and see it is gone now.Just look how quick they disappear on rcu etc when advertised.Have seen a few here but am toslow to get to them and mine needs extensive rebuild nothing a new wing and fuselage wouldn't cure the tail is good.