Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig 1/4 Cub Build - Ramp-Up #2

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig 1/4 Cub Build - Ramp-Up #2

Old 12-04-2007, 08:19 PM
horseshoejack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig 1/4 Cub Build - Ramp-Up #2

Well I'm back. Many thanks for all the engine advice.Build was on hold due to family duties -shipped my daughter off to Iraq (Army medic) Merry Xmas , huh.
Anyhow ,I'm going to be getting[:-] started here soon on the Cub (I hope) and need some advice. 1st, What's the best place to start building. (Go ahead, be a wise-a_ _. Laughs I need too-my wife gave me a few suggestions already!). 2nd: what can I use for a building surface that'll stay flat. Pine board? I thought about a solid core door but that might be a little extreme. Is some kind of jig or magnets a good idea? I really don't want to twist this puppy. 3rd. I'd like to get my stuff from one source. My LHS is great but I live out in the bushes so on-line shopping- UPS is more better. Any ideas on who might be my best bet? These questions may seem awfully simple;but for a newer builder I can get more ideas and information from you guys and without feeling like a boob. Thanks, Jack
Old 12-04-2007, 11:04 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Sig 1/4 Cub Build - Ramp-Up #2

Hollow core door is a great building table, stays flat, you can stick pins through it, lightweight, cheap, and portable. Set it up on sawhorses, and you can put screw eyes at the corners and hang it from the garage ceiling to get it out of the way. A good place to start building is the tail feathers and ailerons. They're small, and gets you into the swing of things. I then build the fuse and save the wings for last, but that's just me.

I'll be thinking about your daughter, hope she has an uneventful tour and comes home soon and unscathed. Sometimes the emotional wounds can take a while, even if there aren't any physical ones. I flew USAF medevac between Saudi Arabia and Germany the first time around, back in '91.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:58 PM
horseshoejack

Default RE: Sig 1/4 Cub Build - Ramp-Up #2

Thanks Hodge and everboby else for the good thoughts.

I guess this question got posted twice- my mistake-but I still like the input.