Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

great planes giles 202 project

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

great planes giles 202 project

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:21 PM
brenthampton79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default great planes giles 202 project

Im working on my giles and was wondering if anyone has any pointers on the plane. one question i have since im at the wing portion now is do i need to glass the wing halves together? or is the stock building technique good enough?

thanks

brent
Old 12-06-2007, 09:58 PM
brenthampton79

Default RE: great planes giles 202 project

Also if you guys would like i can take pics of the build if your interested if not thats fine to im sure you've seen plenty of these projects bofore. Not real sure how these forums work to well. If i'm suppose to start new threads or just work off of older giles threads.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:41 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I always glass the center section - doesn't add that much weight and sure makes it easier to sleep at night And yes, I have just found that kit on Ebay and would be interested in your build....
Old 12-06-2007, 11:50 PM
brenthampton79

thanks for the interest i'll try to get some pics tomorrow night. Forgot to mention this is the 40 size giles.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:18 PM
tailskid

I built one right after they came out and always wanted another one - now I have one NIB
Old 12-07-2007, 11:17 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

ORIGINAL: tailskid

I always glass the center section - doesn't add that much weight and sure makes it easier to sleep at night And yes, I have just found that kit on Ebay and would be interested in your build....
Maybe I should have my wife glass her middle section so she can clssp better at night.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:37 AM
prgonzalez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Brian,

I am just finishing one GP Giles. I expect to do maiden flight tomorrow if weather is in my favor. This is my second build of this plane.

Back to your question, I did not glass the wings in my first or second builds.

Here some pics...I will take some and post some pics of the plane finished.

Edited to upload pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89764.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	820813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84040.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	820814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78487.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	820815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53798.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	820816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53451.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	820817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te46223.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	820818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rh67744.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	820819  
Old 12-08-2007, 11:46 AM
prgonzalez

Hi Brent,

I didn't mean to steal your thread with my pics. It is that I am excited to flight this model after six months of building because I was busy at work. However, I can offer some insights about the mods I made on mine.

The final weight is 6-lb 15.3 oz. So, it is at the high end of the range. I believe it is because all the hardware I am using and too much paint in the cowl. However, it could have been worst considering I took every opportunity to save weight without compromising structural strength. I added contest balsa to some places and replace all wing skins with better wood. Also, I am using a 0.90 2-stroke engine.

So, today is a bit windy, but I will see as soon as I get to the field.

Pedro

Name:	Db85411.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	821078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11357.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	821079  
Old 12-09-2007, 03:09 PM
brenthampton79

Nice giles pedro! I don't mind if ya'll steal the thread im just happy someone will give me some advice. I have built the 3 gp extra 300s. I thought this plane would be very similar but now finding out its constructed completly different and also looks as if its a bigger plane, not quite a 60 and not quite a 40. Am I right to as how this will fly? Also do you guys think a 55ax will pull it around well. I'm not looking at 3-d capability here, just to go vertical for a while with speed built up, im more intrested in scale aerobatics for my plane. One more question how well does this thing roll, im guessing pretty good?
Old 12-09-2007, 03:14 PM
brenthampton79

tailskid thanks for the advice, i think im going to go without the glassing this time and see how it works. also pedro why are you building the second? Did the plane fail? I also am assuming you liked it enough to build another.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:16 PM
brenthampton79

also tailskid how did yours fly, sorry im not to good with this forum stuff yet. Any bad tendency i should know about during building? I'm fixing to go out to the shop and work on her somemore today and get some pics up for ya'll. thanks again
Old 12-09-2007, 07:29 PM
tailskid

Like I said, it has been a while and if memory serves me correctly it went together FAST and strong and I didn't modify anything as it was a kit review for RCReport. I put it in one day when I took off with high rates and let it get too far too fast 100% pilot error - and yes it does ROLL FAST!!!!
Old 12-09-2007, 07:34 PM
brenthampton79

awsome tailskid thats what i was hoping since the full size one rolls fast! That makes me feel good that u built it unmodified and didn't have any troubles. about that 55 ax what do you think?
Old 12-09-2007, 07:43 PM
brenthampton79

Here are the pics of what i got so far, im having to try to bend the wing back straight, didn't realize that the table i was building on had a sag [>:]

Name:	Wt59344.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	822332   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44263.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	822333  
Old 12-09-2007, 07:46 PM
brenthampton79

there's one pic of my gp decathlon im finishing as well, or waiting for wife to make the graphics i should say. oh well to cold to fly anyway.

Name:	Cz79960.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	822335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53975.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	822336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14013.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	822337  
Old 12-09-2007, 10:48 PM
prgonzalez

Brent,

I lost my first Giles around the 20th flight three years ago. After thinking about what happened, I realized it was my fault. It snap-rolled in a slow final approach for landing, I did not have enough expo in the elevator, and too much elevator too fast. In part, I was not ready for this airplane. When I say not ready it is because this airplane is designed to be a competition airplane, not a sport airplane that you want to fly all over the field doing closed banking or loops. So, this model is snappy. Believe me, it snaps roll by jacking up the elevator. Because I want this model to start with IMAC competition, I planned this second building for six months. I learned new building techniques and bought new hardware. I am using hardware for precision flying and I have no play in any surface. All existing play comes from the servos themselves which is not that bad.

So, I flew her twice yesterday. I took off and got altitude. She tracked straight in the runway. When I had good altitude, I turned around with a small bank and big circle. Made two circles and then I tested the elevator response. So, knowing this model, I was ready for the response. It snap-rolled in low throws when I pulled up the elevator fast. So, with rudder input will be a beautifull snap-roll. Rolls are fast and straight. However, I couldn't test her completely because I had trouble with the engine. It was overheating. So, I need to work on it.

So, I do not know what you want this airplane for. Many people don't like it because of its snappy characteristics. So, this it is not a typical sport flying airplane. The way I see it is, if you need to do a snap roll maneuver, she will do it with ease. So, no 3D with this model unless you can get it very, very light at 6-lb max. I have read reports of pilots getting up to 6-lb 3-oz using small servos that had to be upgraded later because of big loads created by her big surfaces and single rudder and single elevator servos using pull-pull configuration. So, I am using standard digital servos (DS-537) in every surface except rudder where I have a 72-oz servo DS-821. I am using two independent elevator servos installed in the tail to balance out with the heavy engine I am using. At the end, the battery is installed under the pilot position. It could have been under the turtle neck if I hadn't shorted out the engine position. At the end, the center of mass of the plane is closer to the CG and this will improve different maneuvers.

Now, with the 55-AX she might be docile as advertised. Why? The engine alone is about one pound less than a 60 to 90 range. So, it reduces the total flying weight to around 6-lbs. My guess is it will fly similar to a 0.60 engine. However, you will not have amazing aerobatics because the drag created by this fuselage is big IMHO. I had a .61-FX in the first Giles and vertical was not unlimited. This is okay for regular flying but not enough for competition. So, this time I have a 0.90 engine and I expect to have unlimited vertical. I have seen under powered models perform IMAC and if the plane does not have enough speed when entering vertical, the plane stalls too soon in the vertical line.

So, feel free to ask any questions. One thing, be careful with those wings. You really want a flat surface to avoid warps in the wing. In my plane, the wings came up with 1/4 of one degree difference from tip to tip. I do not know how much this will affect me until I start doing the trimming. I made that mistake when I broke some vertical presses and did not have enough pressure to keep the wing flat when I glued the wing skins. (I build over a magnetic board) So, I hope this 0.25 degree do not affect me much. Otherwise, I would have to build a new wing.

Name:	Om33405.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	822553  
Old 12-09-2007, 11:31 PM
brenthampton79

Thanks pedro for the info, I also have probably about .25 inches on the right wing panel but have caught it early i'm hoping i can get it straightend out. with water and the sheeting. also built it on the magnet board
I'm not looking for unlimited vertical, i have an extra 300 with a 50 sx on it and love it, not really looking at imac yet more interested in competing full scale aero right now. However I like the idea that its snappy, snap rolls are fun thats one thing i like out of my extra a lot because it breaks hard, i have a su-31 phoenix model arf, and it doesn't snap as well as the extra, do you think the 55 will make it too light? I like planes that you have to manage the energy of the plane somewhat and not just overpower it, that fun too though.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:32 PM
brenthampton79

do you think the 61 fx or the 55 would be better?
Old 12-10-2007, 09:23 AM
prgonzalez

Well, I am not familiar with the 0.55-AX. From specs, it is designed for torque and accepts big props. It might perform as a 0.61 with the advantage of less weight. But, it is pricy $$$$. I have read that many people like it. After three O.S. engines, I have decided to try a few other brands to see if I can save some money with the understanding that from time to time I would have to deal with engine problems. I will see if the extra effort worth the savings.

I have flown this Giles with a 0.61-FX and performs the way you want it. You can do aerobatics but you lack of unlimited vertical. If you already have either engine, then use it. I would use a 13x6 prop thought. But, I am not sure the 0.55 will take it. I believe 6-lbs with the 0.55 is okay. I have a Dazzler with a 0.46-FX at almost 5-lbs and it has unlimited vertical, slow but goes up and up. So, a 0.55 at 6-lbs you might get a decent vertical but not unlimited it is my guess. The Giles has a good air penetration. So, flying on windy days are not a big problem.

Hope it helps.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:39 PM
brenthampton79

yeah that does help pedro Sounds like a 55 would be a good way to go for me, i guess its just an engine mount away if i want more power anyway, what about a 46? I think that it wouldn't be enought but i do have a spare ax setting around right now?
Old 12-13-2007, 01:04 PM
prgonzalez

The 0.46 is listed as an engine option for this model. However, I do not think you will get enough performance from it. You can try it specially if you already have it.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:15 PM
brenthampton79

Thanks pedro thats what i was expecting i may go ahead and save the 46 for the cap 232 thats up next on the block to be built. I'm hoping to get these two models done this winter before the spray plane season starts up or they will have to sit most of the summer.

I'll try to get somemore pics up on the net here in a few days when i join the wings, and do some more work on the fuse. I'm thinking of mounting the rudder servo in the rear since it already has a cut out for it.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:53 PM
prgonzalez

If you install the servo in the tail, then you would have to install the battery in the front, not per plans if you go with a light engine. Keep that in mind.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:11 PM
WarpedWing
My Feedback: (3)

I built one of these 4-5 years ago. I liked the way it went together---nice building construction. I had an OS 91FS in mine. A .46 2-stroke will barely fly this plane. I know a .61 2-stroke will fly it OK, but with limited vertical. Don't know about the OS .55AX. If you are going to use a lightweight .61 2-stroke or smaller engine, you'll want to move the rudder servo forward (under the canopy) and use a pull/pull set up. I'd also advise keeping the tail as light as possible, so you can minimize any CG problems. Most people have found that this plane tends to nose over on the ground, so shim the landing gear forward 1/2" (keep the location as per plans, just shim the trailing edge of the gear forward with washers/wood shims, etc...). This plane does very pretty rolls, Cubans, Immelmans, and knife edges. Slow speed handling is not nearly as good as an Extra or Laser----you'll find that your landing approaches need to carry some speed over the fence. This plane is pitch sensitive. I'd recommend using the plan-specified throws for elevator---the plan throws are conservative, but a decent place to start with. I couldn't seem to get a comfortable elevator throw on my Giles----seemed that I either had too much throw or too little. Have fun,.....WarpedWing
Old 12-18-2007, 09:14 PM
brenthampton79

Thanks warped wing for the advice looks as if the 55 ax is about 5 ounces lighter and makes almost same power as 61 fx with same props. also i won't be mounting the servo in the rear for the rudder per your advice as well as pedro's. I have came down with a little cold here and have to fly some politcians (o to joy) around tomorrow i'm hoping to get pics thursday night to put on here before i join the wings, man im getting excited and ready to fly this thing, good thing its winter so im not tempted to hurry it up I've found a trim scheme i'm going to copy off of a real giles, does anyone know if ultrakote makes neon yellow covering, i can't find any on horizon, I've used monokote for years but like to try new things, thats one reason i bought the giles as well as hopefully have all the gp 40 size aerobats built and flying at one time, i need the giles completed, the decathlon almost and build the cap thats already in my shop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.