Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Super sportster .60 is Finished

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Super sportster .60 is Finished

Old 12-12-2007, 11:52 PM
ChuckW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super sportster .60 is Finished

Well, it's all done except for the wheel pants. Those still need a little work. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. The rudder pushrod is binding a little so I'll have to work on that before Saturday but everything else is working nice.

I fired the .75-AX for the first time tonight. I just barely touched it with the starter and it fired right up and idled. Another OS engine that runs excellent right out of the box. It could probably stand to have the low end a little leaner once its been run awhile but nothing major. Just sitting on the ground, I can tell the power is going to be great. I normally tie planes to an old brake drum to run them but this one would drag it around on the concrete anywhere above 1/2 throttle. Nothing wrong with power. If you are thinking about a .75-AX, don't hesitate, it's great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36060.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	824589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57879.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	824590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19271.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	824591  
Old 12-13-2007, 01:57 AM
flying DJ

Default RE: Super sportster .60 is Finished

well Chuck the sportster looks realy good i have one with A ASP 75 ON IT the plane is just right for that kind of power . hope you enjoy it ass much as I do mine good luck and mery xmas.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:03 AM
cstevenpeterson
My Feedback: (21)

I have been quietly following your thread as I have a NIB kit waiting to be started. You did a fantastic job - looks great. I think the metallic plumb Monokote is a neat color. Thanks for sharing your build with the rest of us - it will be helpful when I get to mine.

Steve
Old 12-13-2007, 12:35 PM
hrrcflyer

Hey Chuck,

Since you did such a good job on your plane, if I send you my Super Sportster90/120, would you build it fo me too?. Just kidding... Thats an awesome looking plane you have there[sm=thumbup.gif]. I know it will fly as good as it looks.

P.S. We're patiently standing by for a flight report.

Happy Holidays
Old 12-13-2007, 03:27 PM
summerwind

well now that's what i call Supreme......excellent job, and now i'll know who you are at the field.......BTW, if this is your first build, not only did you do an excellent job, but i do share the kneeknock you are about to experience..........i'm betting it will fly right off the board, and good choice on engines.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:35 PM
carrellh

Very nice. I've watched the build thread and you've shown excellent work all the way through.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:35 PM
RhyanO

Hey nice job Chuck!

Old 12-13-2007, 06:36 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: summerwind

well now that's what i call Supreme......excellent job, and now i'll know who you are at the field.......BTW, if this is your first build, not only did you do an excellent job, but i do share the kneeknock you are about to experience..........i'm betting it will fly right off the board, and good choice on engines.
Nah, definitely not my first build. It's probably number 7 or 8. I'm going to fly it this Saturday if the weather cooperates. I'm also off work next week so I may make a few weekday appearances at the field. I'll be at the meeting tonight as well to pay my membership renewal.

Unless something unforeseen happens or I completely dumb thumb, I'm sure it will fly OK. My covering jobs are slowly getting better. I hear everyone complaining about Monokote not being any good but it seems to work fine for me.

Now the question is what do do next... Ultra sport? Warbird? Bigger Sportster with a 1.20-AX?

Old 12-13-2007, 09:06 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

Nah, definitely not my first build. It's probably number 7 or 8. I'm going to fly it this Saturday if the weather cooperates. I'm also off work next week so I may make a few weekday appearances at the field. I'll be at the meeting tonight as well to pay my membership renewal.

Unless something unforeseen happens or I completely dumb thumb, I'm sure it will fly OK. My covering jobs are slowly getting better. I hear everyone complaining about Monokote not being any good but it seems to work fine for me.

Now the question is what do do next... Ultra sport? Warbird? Bigger Sportster with a 1.20-AX?

take a break and get a nice GP Super Stearman
Old 12-14-2007, 12:45 AM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

take a break and get a nice GP Super Stearman
If Christmas wasn't in a couple weeks, I would trust me.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:12 PM
summerwind

Chuck,
i hear ya............we can't have em all right?
BTW, i dropped the price to $250.00, and will post a flyer at the field and Hobbytown.................
Old 12-16-2007, 12:10 AM
ChuckW

It flys. Required a little down elevator trim and a couple clicks of right rudder but it flew hands-off after that. The .75-AX is a great power match. I used a 13x6 APC and it's fairly fast and has seemingly unlimited vertical. the engine did deadstick once after take off though. I wasn't high enough to turn back so I just glided it to a landing out in the dirt. It did end up on its back but there was no damage. The engine never skipped a beat after that though. It always started on one flip and ran strong. One of the wheels also fell off when another pilot landed it. I had a flat spot on the gear wire and I used Lock-tite on the set screw but it decided to come off anyhow. Luckily somebody had a spare collar and I was back in business.

There have been several questions about right thrust. I wouldn't recommend adding any. Takeoffs require only a little right rudder. It can pull to the left now and then during a full power vertical climb but this is not major and easily compensated for.

Some people mentioned enlarging the rudder. This is absolutely unnecessary in my opinion. The plane will hold a knife edge (with coupling of course) on low rates. The fuselage has plenty of side area for knife-edge maneuvers. Making the rudder bigger will just spoil the nice, classic lines.

One thing I would recommend though is beefier landing gear. The 5/32" wire is pretty flimsy for a plane this size. Maybe bend up some 3/16 wire to replace the stock stuff or mount it on the fuselage like some people have done.

There must have been some bad mojo at the field today. Not only did I have a couple mishaps with the SS-60, something happened to my 40 sized ARF on landing. I was trying to make a 180 degree turn back to the runway when the controls went dead about 2/3 of the way through it. Luckily, it just destroyed the wing. A replacement is only $36.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:38 AM
Tee Bee

That's a beautiful plane. I like planes w/yellow and purple schemes and the SS takes to it nicely.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:13 PM
jrcaster

Good thing is, you dammaged the old plane and not the new one. That would have been heartbreaking. Still sorry to hear you had problems.

Glad to hear it flies well. Now wipe that smile off of your face and get back in there.

Once you get the new wing you will have problems deciding which one you want to fly. Ha! I bet the 60 wins every time. You have a lot more pride in that one. (Built by hand in the U.S.A.)

In case you have been too busy to notice, I am still a long ways away from getting my SS 40 MKII kit in the air. I am still on the wing. Using wood glue really makes a build a whole lot slower but I am not complaining. That just means I might make this build last till spring. If I can't I still have a sportster bipe 40 to finish. It is one of the old kits so it is very similar to the 60 you just finished.

Now that you are flying the 60, and you said that you covered that differently, You might want to explain a little on how you did it, and how you like the results.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:15 PM
hrrcflyer

Chuck,

Glad it flies well for you. Sounds like you've got a winner for sure!!.

If it were up to me, I'd build the US60 next. With an OS75 and retracts, I can almost guarantee you will LOVE the plane!!

Happy Holidays