Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Falcon 56 III Speed Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Falcon 56 III Speed Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 06:36 AM
vintageflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Falcon 56 III Speed Build

Well I just picked up an all time classic, Carl Goldberg's Falcon 56 MK III. I know, not much of a classic with all the up dates since the original some 50 years ago, but the plane is timeless.
I want to finish the plane by Saturday. Thats three days away. I'm on vacation and I should have some spare time to get the project done and still post some picture and comments here.

This will be my 2nd MK III version. When I open the box I noticed everything had changed from the last MK III. Even the Box art was different. Now most of the kit has been laser cut, and a re-done building manual has been added. Very nice!

DM
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28202.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	829871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53663.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	829872  
Old 12-20-2007, 06:57 AM
vintageflyer

Default RE: Falcon 56 III Speed Build

Ok I started the Fuse. It's all banded together and taped waiting for the epoxy to dry. I like using epoxy on ply, the ca would work fine too I'm sure, but I prefer the epoxy. I'm not really too concerned with weight on this plane, but have always wondered what a Falcon would be like with an all balsa fuse. That would be nice...
Anyway Here's what I have so far.

DM

Name:	Bz76946.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	829873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36686.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	829874  
Old 12-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Kaos1964
My Feedback: (12)

Judging by the size of the piston in the photo, I think you're going to be a tad overpowered.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:41 PM
hungryandbroke

I switched from an OS 40 LA Blue to an OS 40 FX on that plane and it made a world of difference. Had over 650 flights on it (rudder only) before I sold it and it was a blast to fly! It would even do rolls and spins and once in a while I would even make some full speed touch and goes.

Name:	Pn35303.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	830245  
Old 12-21-2007, 12:33 AM
SPLIT S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's mine. I used to watch my older brother fly the original Falcon 56 back in the late 70's or early 80's. Always liked the way it looked and flew. Suprising what it is capable of doing in the air. Falcon "Fat Albert" MKIII.

Dan

Name:	Zx71929.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	830479  
Old 12-21-2007, 03:13 AM
vintageflyer

Well toady I had a lot of running around to do so I didn't get as much done as I thought I could. I had to run to the LHS and get some fresh ca. I had some that wasnt gelled, but it wouldn't bond very good. Must have been about two years old sitting on my dresser.
I did get a wing half done and I'm starting the other half. I hope to have the whole wing done tonight.
Here's what I have so far.
Moving slow.............

DM

Name:	Ec87329.jpg
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	830514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82040.jpg
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	830515  
Old 12-21-2007, 03:15 AM
vintageflyer

So you noticed the piston Kaos. I didn't see it there until I looked at the picture that I posted. That's for another project. I'm rebuilding the engine in my sailboat. Not fun at all [:@]

Hungry, My last Falcon lasted over 5 years switching owners at least 4 times. It finally died froma fuse former failure. I changed the wing hold down to screws and a dowel in the l/e. Well I didn't double up the former for the dowel. I was too lazy and you know what happens next...[:@] It's nice to see the "new" MK III now has a screw down wing, and a doubled former.
So your Falcon was an R/O meaning no elevator control? Or was it Full house without ailerons? I can't imagine a Falcon with a strong 40 buzzing along with only rudder control... [X(] that would definatly be something to see!!

DM
Old 12-21-2007, 09:06 AM
hungryandbroke

My wing hold down was with 2 screws also. I reinforced the former in the beginning for the wing dowel. And yes, it also had an elevator along with the rudder. I learned to fly a long time ago with the falcon 56, no ailerons then either.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:15 AM
vintageflyer

Well everything is going together smoothly so far. Got the other wing half done and the wings joined together. I did flaten the wing out a little. Can't wait to start covering.
Does anyone have some ideas for color schemes??
I'm glad the bigger parts are done. I'm limited to space right now. My building table is taken up by another project and I'm building this on my computer desk.
Well this wing is strong. I don't remember my old MK III having all these ply doublers. Theres 5 of them!! I'm not going to be too worried of the Rossi being in there.
I put in just over 4 hours today. I timed myself by watching 2 DVDs. It makes for slower building, but it sure is enjoyable.

I am trying to get this ready as fast as possible, but I am spending time making sure the parts fit reasonably well. There have been a few pieces that needed a bit of sanding to get a good fit. Please don't think that I'm just throwing this together.

DM

Well heres what I got:

Name:	Ay73717.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	830631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39187.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	830632  
Old 12-21-2007, 09:23 AM
vintageflyer

Hungry, I have always wanted an original Falcon 56, maybe one day. I do have a Jr. Falcon. I'll start on that some time this year.
I was split on building my Skylark MK II or get the kit I'm building now. I'm glad I chose this. These kits go together so easily, I can't understand why ARF people don't want to give it a try. Well that could start a whole other thead itself!!

DM
Old 12-21-2007, 09:26 AM
vintageflyer

Split S,
I really like your Navy scheme. Where did you get the Blue Angels decal? What does she look like on the bottom?

DM
Old 12-21-2007, 09:54 AM
hungryandbroke

The skylark mk ll looks like it would be a nice aerobatic plane. Too bad it only comes as an ARF! I prefer to build my own.

You can find the original falcon 56 on ebay every now and then.

One good thing about 40 size planes....easier on fuel and lots of fun to fly!

Old 12-21-2007, 10:32 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been hanging on to a Falcon wing for several years now, hoping to run across a fuse and tail feathers. May have to build some.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:52 AM
hungryandbroke

Like I said, my very first plane was a falcon 56. After a couple of flights with an instructor I figured I was ready to fly it on my own. I took it out the next day and was able to get it airborne. I thought, oh no! Now I gotta be able to land it! I landed it alright, right into a guardrail along side the road. Busted the heck out of it. I stuck it all in a grocery bag, pulled in my driveway, and was hoping the neighbors would think I just got back from the grocery store and not the flying field!

What a fun filled hobby!
Old 12-21-2007, 12:41 PM
sscherin

My 2nd plane was a Falcon 56 with an OS .45 FSR.. It was a screamer.
I have a Falcon III kit on the shelf I've been thinking of kit bashing into a Skylark
Old 12-21-2007, 02:58 PM
SPLIT S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the compliment Vintageflyer. A buddy of mine has a graphics shop and cut it from vinyl for me. Solid blue on the bottom.

Dan
Old 12-21-2007, 05:08 PM
vintageflyer

I don't know wht I never thought of a graphics store. I have a couple old kits that I scratch build from but never used the decals. I'm going to run out to see how much that would cost. Thanks Split S !!

sscherin... If you need plans I can have my Skylark scanned and email you a copy. Then you take the file down to Kinkos and have them run off a working plan for about 5-6 bucks!
Let me know.

DM
Old 12-21-2007, 05:36 PM
vintageflyer

When I woke up the morning the sun was already out. I'm off to enjoy the weather. [8D] Don't think I'll have it flying by tomorrow. [:@] But who knows. I do have lots of cofee for tonight, I'll just be too tired to fly it when it's done.

DM
Old 12-21-2007, 08:49 PM
vintageflyer

I did a little today so far.
I epoxied the fuse top and bottom on.
Here's a trick I do to help straighten out the fuse.
Before gluing the top and bottoms of a fuse together, check it for straightness by laying the fuse on its side and measured the distance from the table to where the two fuse sides meet (first pic). Then flip it over and measure the other side (pic two). If they are the same, perfect! No adjusting necessary. If not, try this, Take a scrap piece of hardwood just long enough to fit in between two main formers diagonally. start sliding the hardwood to force one end of the former away from it's opposite corner (where the other end of the stick would be) this will move the entire fuse sides and staighten out the tail until the two measurements previously taken are the same. You can leave the stick in the fuse as a brace while you glue the top and bottom of the fuse on. After that, it will never move.

DM

Name:	Ig13451.jpg
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	831033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92560.jpg
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	831034  
Old 12-21-2007, 08:52 PM
vintageflyer

Here's a pic of the stick set up in the fuse. I guess it's more like a wedge.?

DM

Name:	Ki18631.jpg
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	831036  
Old 12-21-2007, 08:58 PM
vintageflyer

As you can see in my last post, I also have some servos installed. I'm using Hitec 225BB. Because that is all I have right now. . I'm hoping the throttle servo (will be mounted in the middle) horn will clear the otther horns. If not I'll make a mount for it on the side just forward.
Well, I'll see how far I get tonight..

DM

Name:	Yw67179.jpg
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	831038  
Old 12-24-2007, 10:41 AM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

Just fyi,, I have been flying the F56 for about 8 years with one of the first La .46 's that came out. I have a straight wing (no angle at all) and extended the aileron width by 50% over stock. I also use a tail dragger format to reduce weight. This bird is a pistol and a blast to fly. Great performer. Suggestion I would increase the rudder 50% also. But I don't fly as a beginner. I have won many funfly contest with this bird when more $$ planes could not keep up with the F56. I also use smaller high torque servos to reduce weight. Great fun to fly. Not at home or I would attach color photo of the red / yellow hot one. Have fun with yours.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:15 AM
jlkonn

Dm,
This thread is really bringing back memories.
It was my first RC plane back in 1981.
I think I had the Mark II.
I built it with very little outside advice.
I even tried to put the MonoKote on without peeling the clear sheet off!
[sm=bananahead.gif]
The one thing that I really made a mess out of was the built up airfoil stab.
I had to reattach it after more than one hard landing!
Plus it took me a long time to figure out where that hole in the bottom of the fuse about under the fuel tank kept coming from!!!
It was from the front gear strut folding back.
I flew mine with an K&B .40.
I remember going down to the hobby shop and buying 3 props.
When the owner handed them to me he said "3 props 3 flights"...
I thought how the heck does he know that?!?!?
(it was true).
JLK
Old 12-25-2007, 02:20 AM
vintageflyer

JLK, I love the part about the monokote, I Did The Same Thing! Couldn't wait to get started on a Mark's Model, Wanderer 99 That I picked up built but with no covering for $10! You didn't mention what kind of iron you were using. I had my mother's clothes iron. I had to work on it until my father would signal to me that shes driven up the drive way.

Jim, These planes do perform, I think that's why this kit has out survived so many others. It can be tame as a ***** cat, or it can haul butt and scream with the rest of them! My last falcon was a MK III with a flat wing also. I had an OS 45 fsr w/ a Mac tuned pipe. I loved that set up. The plane would be stable while inverted, full throttle, less than 2 feet off the deck. I friend of mine at the time said I sould build a wing with retracts on top for touch and goes! That would have been different!

Well, sorry I didn't finish the plane for this past weekend [&o] The weather wasnt too good here anyway. But I did a couple little things in between the shopping and the egg-nog gatherings . I managed to build the stab and the fin. I know the fin is just matter of gluing 3 pieces together, but try it when your baked on egg-nog! I also coved the center section of the wing.

I'm still not too sure on covering schemes. I think I'll go with the old original red and black. Does anyone have some good photos of that one? I lind of remember the black outlined the wings' T/E, tip and followed down the centersection. The stab mirrored the wing and the rudder also follow that same idea. I'll search some old mags for an ad.

DM

Name:	Tr49400.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	833608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88715.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	833609   Click image for larger version

Name:	He97361.jpg