Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP Patriot 40 Kit Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP Patriot 40 Kit Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:30 AM
UkerDuker
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Patriot 40 Kit Build

I'm sticking with my OS 46 for now. I have been trying to get the tail control rods installed. WHAT A PAIN!! The connectors were quite challenging to hookup. I doubt these will ever come off. Now that I have this portion is done, I can move on to finishing the upper fuselage. I'm in no hurry to build. The weather here has been terrible lately.

Has anyone added gear doors to the main gear? If so, post some pics.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60440.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	859645  
Old 01-24-2008, 08:14 PM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

UkerDuker, make sure you get all those control linkages, rods, etc. on correctly as it is hard to get to once the planes is finished. I just remember one error I made in building mine. I must have gotten the hardest, heaviest balsa wood in my kit that I have seen to date. I didn't have enough sense to discard it and get liter balsa and this lead to a heavier than normal plane. Another thing to consider at this point is switch placement, I tried all that I could to put the switch in the rear of the plane but couldn't ever get it to work like I wanted. The oil from the motor kept getting on it so I put it back on the side under the canopy. I placed battery on rear hatch cover with heavy velcro and it worked good there.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:39 PM
brenthampton79

I have a patriot as well you can see it in my models page, i put a rossi 46 on mine with the mini pipe that came with it, i have no idea how fast it its but i like it so far. Lands fairly slow compared to what i was expecting, i put the 3 gear mechanical retracts on mine as well. planning to put gear doors on it this winter to help clean the model up some. I think you will enjoy it with the 46. I'm mostly into aerobatics (extra 300) So im not the most experienced about speed planes, but all in all its fun to fly every now and then, the one thing i found on my plane is that i needed a lot of elevator to get it to rotate on take off, might want to be aware of that.
I lost my torque rod over the years of moving and stuff before i finished it, so i had to cut a way to get it out to the rudder, but i would say get it right like buzz says because your not left with a lot of space back there to work on later.
brent
Old 01-24-2008, 09:54 PM
UkerDuker

I'm just starting with an OS-46AX. This will change as I "grow into" the plane. TOnight I damn near killed myself. Let me explain....

I started to assemble the upper fuselage. I installed the small formers and the 1/4" stringers I cut and installed the 1/16" sheeting. I sanded everything level as per the instructions, then glues the top cap to the up fuselage. I began to sand. And sand, and sand...... I had so much balsa flaoting around my shop I started to cough.....this turned into being choked..... it was ugly. Damn near threw-up because the air was so polluted with balsa dust. In the end, my fuselage looks real good. I uess I could have gone out and purchased a razor plane, but I prefer to do it my way. Sanding takes longer, and I prefer the end result.

Everything is coming together great. It's definately not a plane that will be built in a short span of time. Once I got the tail fin installed and the linkage hooked up, everything was dead on. It took some real patience to get the rudder linkage set before gluing everything in-place. I still dont have a clue how to cover this one. The tail is covered with some scraps I had laying in my junk drawer. It looks good, but I'm not sure where to go from here.

Here's the latest build pics.
Mike

Name:	Wt59048.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	860220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94180.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	860221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41946.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	860222  
Old 01-24-2008, 10:11 PM
brenthampton79

Well thats not good but i seem to have the same issue with myself, I tend to get a little bull headed about doing things my way even though its probably not the best for my health, but hey its not like my career path is much safer oh well
i covered my vertical neon red like you did there in blue and then covered the rest in black i just liked the idea of the whole tale one color and different than the model,
Old 01-24-2008, 10:15 PM
brenthampton79

by the way the model looks great wish i had one to start over and do right again i started on mine when i was 17 and finished it last year at 27.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:17 PM
buzzingb

UkerDuker, once I was flying my Patriot and lost radio control after takeoff and all I could do was watch the thing go downa to about a 35 degree angle at about 1/2 throttle or more. I thought it was a goner for sure. I had to get a man with vehicle to take me over to it because it was about 3/4 of mile away. I was very surprised when arriving, the only thing wrong was firewall and cowl was damaged. With about a hours work it was ready to fly again. The wing was ripped off the plane with no damage to wing or fuse except the threaded holes the wing bolts go through. It is built like a tank. I have seen several other crash over the years with little damage also. Those old balsa plane withstand crasher much better that the newer planes.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:23 PM
UkerDuker

I am building my very strong. Currently I am installing the fuel tank. I hate the way this is permanently out of reach once its installed. If there is a fuel plumbing issue, I will have to cut into the fuselage. I have also started sheeting the top tail portion around the rudder.

Anyone using a tuned pipe? How did you install the pipe mount? Did you install it in the lower wing? I'm curious about this.

Mike
Old 01-25-2008, 03:13 PM
SpeedBoy

ORIGINAL: UkerDuker
Currently I am installing the fuel tank. I hate the way this is permanently out of reach once its installed. If there is a fuel plumbing issue, I will have to cut into the fuselage.

Anyone using a tuned pipe? How did you install the pipe mount? Did you install it in the lower wing? I'm curious about this.

Mike
Hi UkerDuker:

If in something help , I made a piece in fuselage above the tank of gasoline with 4 screws I hope you can be appreciated in the first pic , easily you can remove it or check it if in case.....

I like use pipes in my airplanes and yes I install the mount of the pipe in the lower wing and in the fuse I add some pics of the mount , I hope this can help you in something

Name:	Mk25135.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	860693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57117.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	860694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76441.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	860695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey69587.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	860696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep86333.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	860697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yp94192.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	860698  
Old 01-25-2008, 03:47 PM
UkerDuker

Speedboy,
Your planes look great. I love the way you covered the blue one. I plan on mounting my pipe the same way. I wasn't sure if you were putting the mount before the wing or on the wing.

Thanks!
Mike
Old 01-25-2008, 04:27 PM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

Glad you got the linkages done. Looks likes it coming together nicely... makes me wanna start
building mine

Name:	Eb87011.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	352.0 KB
ID:	860768  
Old 01-25-2008, 04:36 PM
UkerDuker

I got most of the tail sheeted. I also installed the fuel tank. I moving along nicely now.

Mike

Name:	Db86317.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	860782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86493.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	860783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm22166.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	860784  
Old 01-25-2008, 05:28 PM
gunfighterII

Uker,
Looking good. Your pictures are bringing back alot of memories of my build. The fuel tank hatch is a nice addition, I was lucky and never had any tank problems.
This plane fly's like it's on rails, once it get's up to speed. Brent's correct, this plane needs some speed to rotate, so plan on using plenty of runway.

Speedboy,
That is one sweet Patriot. I was checking out your thread with all the speed discussions, I never got the chance to clock my plane, but it was fast with the pipe and correct prop.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:17 PM
UkerDuker

It's looking good now....

I am nearly done with the fuselage. I just need to finish the area around the left-side of the engine. I am not going to put the fake intake ducts on the side. This should cut down on some drag while in flight.

Mike

I'm so sick of choking on balsa dust!!![:@][:'(]

Name:	Rp43439.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	861173  
Old 01-26-2008, 02:42 AM
SpeedBoy

ORIGINAL: UkerDuker

I wasn't sure if you were putting the mount before the wing or on the wing.
Was on the wing , I only make sure that under the mount there is hardwood and no balsa , then jam the screw and I remove it to add CA and this way to harden threads hardwood , and again jam the screw , that has worked very well to my .

UkerDuker and gunfighter thanks for yours comments about my airplane

Old 01-26-2008, 07:36 AM
Flying Foot Doc

Nice build going on. I had one that I flew so much I actually wore the threads off the tires...I was actually kind of proud of that. It is truely a go fast and turn again plane. If you're not turning again or about to turn again it is waaay too far away from where you want it. That said, my flying buddy built one and put a OS 60 size motor on it. The balances were so out, it required so much more lead to get it to balance that it made it into an overloaded high tourque pig, lost all of its sleek nimbleness. If I wanted to put too much horespower on one again( is there such a thing as too much hrespower?) I would seriously think of a Jett or Nelson engine for it. I had a Jett 50, weighed less than a smaller OS and turned about 1/2 again as many RPM's. It was a thing of beauty, just a beautifly made machine. Then you get to start it up ....Then that beauty comes alive. It came out of the box spinning (screaming)about 16, 500 and ended up broken in running around 17, 200 to 17, 500. Keep that Patriot light, different colors on top and bottom and bright red in the tail , looks very cool on Victory climbing rolls, going WAY UP ! Have fun, keep us posted. As I said, the build looks nice. FWITW, I had Monocote blue & white wings glassed center section. Doc
Old 01-26-2008, 11:40 AM
buzzingb

You are right on about the fuel tank not being accessable. If you could figure a way to put a tank hatch on the bottom it would come in handy someday. I had a fuel delivery problem due to fuel line kinking and had to cut a hole in the side to get access. With your retracts though there probally isn't a way.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:49 AM
buzzingb

A tuned pipe makes this plane come alive. With a side exhaust engine you will have to mount header and pipe to get an idea of locaton for pipe holder. I mounted a hard balsa block under the wing sheeting somehow to help hold the screw during the building process, but now I can't remember just how I did this. Most of the flying with this plane will be full throttle or not less than half throttle so that is where the tuned pipe helps the most. The extra sound of a tuned pipe is nice also.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:21 AM
UkerDuker

And the covering begins! I'm using a simple base cover of white and blue. I will add some distinctive markings when I'm done. I used some chrome covering to simulate the engine afterburner. So far so good. No gap with the tail control surfaces.
\
Mike

Name:	Wu59839.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	862112  
Old 01-28-2008, 02:32 PM
buzzingb

I like that white and blue. Mine is red on top with yellow wingtips and a white bottom. Make sure to use different color on top and bottom and maybe some stips to help you see it. I added the yellow wingtips just last year and it helped a lot.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:18 PM
UkerDuker

I finished the fuselage. For now, nothing fancy. I will add contrasting colors once I finish covering the wing. I like this simple color scheme.

Mike

Name:	Yw68659.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	863985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95032.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	863986  
Old 01-29-2008, 12:57 AM
hummingbird111

Nice build UkerDuker...,, Can't wait to see that thing flying,, let me know when you maiden , i would love to see.., still working on my fuse,.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:09 PM
UkerDuker

The maiden flight will be early Saturday afternoon, as long as the weather is good. So far the forecast looks good!!

Mike
Old 01-29-2008, 06:15 PM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

you have to let us know how the maiden went. Also a final picture or two would be awsome.
Good Luck
Old 01-29-2008, 06:24 PM
gunfighterII

Uker,
Good Luck on the maiden. Get some video if possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.