Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Bring Back the Bridi Trainer 60

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Bring Back the Bridi Trainer 60

Old 01-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bring Back the Bridi Trainer 60

I sure miss these, they were great airplanes. There have been several versions but the earley one with the full length elevator flew the best in my opinion. The vertical stabilizer and rudder was forward just a little and there was an angle on the rudder to allow clearence for the elevator.

There is a "request our next plane" button on the Grat Planes website. Please help me out by going there and requesting that bring back this kit.

I miss them.....
Old 01-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bring Back the Bridi Trainer 60

I'm with you on this. They were easy to build, fully symetrical airfoils and a better transitional plane than what is out there now. I had the 40 and the 60 versions
Old 01-14-2008, 05:04 PM
martenson

I have flown my original RCM Trainer all summer, and it's real aerobatic, a pattern trainer.
I have a pumped Veco 60 in it and it halls a??
And I have a NIB 60 kit to.
If any one is intrested in the 40 size, my dad has 2 or 3 kits NIB-

It's a great flier.

Take care
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56562.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	851146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82144.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	851147  
Old 01-14-2008, 05:37 PM
kbear

Suggestion made.

Here is the link for anyone else.

[link=http://www.greatplanes.com/suggest-a-plane.html]Suggest a plane[/link]
Old 01-14-2008, 06:15 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not scratchbuild one?

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/store/sto...lB9ZmgUwE3A4C1

Mark
Old 01-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Broken Wings

I tend to waste materials when I scratch build. It's bad enough that I bash just about any kit I buy....
Old 01-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Broken Wings

ORIGINAL: martenson

I have flown my original RCM Trainer all summer, and it's real aerobatic, a pattern trainer.
I have a pumped Veco 60 in it and it halls a??
And I have a NIB 60 kit to.
If any one is intrested in the 40 size, my dad has 2 or 3 kits NIB-

It's a great flier.

Take care
Hej
Jag skulle vilja köpa NIB 60 kit om du har det kvar
Annars går det bra med det 40 kit
Old 01-14-2008, 10:41 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

It's definitely on my "to build" list. I enlarged the .40 size plans for a sixty and had them printed out, I just need to start cutting wood.

David

Name:	Hf98041.gif
Views:	371
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	851537  
Old 01-15-2008, 01:17 AM
housedad

Great planes had the Trainer 60 old style. (NOT the PT series) Didn't they make their kit based on the Bridi Trainer? I always thought they did. I still have the plans for my Trainer 60. and it is a dead ringer for the pics you guys show, symetrical wing, but a different fin shape.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:16 AM
martenson

Broken Wings, I will PM you so we can talk.

Take care
Old 01-15-2008, 05:03 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

GP sold the Bridi version for a while and then improved it. To me, what they did was truly an improvement over the original version, for my purposes.

The original versions with the short rudder were difficult to make snaproll or spin while using a reasonable balance point (CG). The improved version by GP was not only prettier, but could be set up to snap and spin with ease. This was one of the few times that anyone "improved" a model and actually made it better. Of course, this is purely subjective, so everyone's opinion is right - for them.

I used to fly the original RCM Trainers as flying test beds and for fun fly competition, before the competition folks went nuts with the spindly little models that came later. Lots of other folks also used them for fun fly models and it wasn't uncommon at all to see them fitted with Rossi, Webra or OS rear exhaust engines and side exhaust engines with tuned pipes down the side, or slung underneath.

I now have all versions of the Bridi and GP kits, except the .20 sizes, which I would love to own. I'm using my kits as masters for producing clones (personal use - not commercial).

I agree with those that say that these models make the best trainers around. No one needs to start with a crippled trainer that has a flat bottomed airfoil. That is just baloney. When properly set up, the RCM Trainers were more than capable of slowing down adequately for anyone to land.

Ed Cregger
Old 01-15-2008, 07:08 AM
Mode One

This airplane was my second R/C plane. My first was the VK Cherokee. I never soloed the Cherokee but the RCM Trainer was the plane that I felt was the transition to almost any plane I wanted to fly. Actually, I built the original, crashed it, saved the wing and bought another and used the wing from the first for the second. Mine was the same plans as featured in the RCM Flight Training Manual, so it was the first design. The rudder had a radius at the aft bottom corner to clear the elevator. Mine snapped fine, however, I lost the first one from spinning into the ground. My opinion as to the reason for the crash was that in a spin the fin & rudder were completely blanked by the Horizontal Stab. I don't think I ever spun the second iteration. Both the ones I built were Bridi kits, before Bridi sold to Great Planes. I still have mine; but, haven't flown it since the early 1980s. No doubt, if you built one or were around when they were popular, you understand their contribution to the sport at that time. Flew great and was good looking. Yes, it should be brought back!
Old 01-15-2008, 11:10 AM
CrateCruncher

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

I agree with those that say that these models make the best trainers around. No one needs to start with a crippled trainer that has a flat bottomed airfoil. That is just baloney. When properly set up, the RCM Trainers were more than capable of slowing down adequately for anyone to land.

Ed Cregger
To underline Ed's point, trainers are for training but then what do you do with it? Most designs on the market today are based on the false assumption that the student doesn't know an elevator from an aileron and needs a hands-off stable plane to learn the most basic skills . However, many clubs offer training with furnished planes complete with buddy box and often students even have access to computer simulators to practice during the week. As a result the training environment is much richer and more accelerated than 20 years ago. Beginning to novice pilots need a "transition plane" that builds easily and can let them expand their comfort zone into basic aerobatics yet be able to recover easily land safely. The Trainer 20/40/60 line may have been a little advanced as a first plane when I learned but it makes more sense today. It will remain relevant and entertaining in their hanger for a much longer period than the other stuff.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Broken Wings

I think I found them. http://www.bridiairplanes.com/hangar/krafty60.html

It sure looks like the late model 60 with the split elevator. I emailed them to find out. If it is I'm going to snap up a couple.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:50 PM
glydrjocky

I have been flying my 1982 vintage Bridi trainer 40 that I built in high school for about 6 months now. Every single time I take to the sky with it I'm left awestruck and amazed at just how well this darn thing fly's. To say that it lands like its on rails would be an understatement. There's not a trainer in productioin these days that has the look or the feel in the air that these things do, and this was the standard in the 80's.

What on earth happened while I was away from the hobby for 20 years????????????????????????

Now I wont say it was easy getting it back to flying condition. 25 years in the loft at my parents house left the wood dry and the monokote brittle. I pretty much cut the tail off and rebuilt it from scratch. Seems alot of 2 stroke oil found its way into the seems around the vertical fin and the wood was worse for wear. I remember the fin began to wiggle one day while I was learing to fly it, my fix back then was to drip HOT STUFF (remember that?) around the fin base and keep flying. When it cam loose again I put triangle stock around the fin and under the stab.

So this time when I set it on the bench I was an 18 year certified airline mechanic and licensed pilot. Gave me a completly different perspective on structural repair. I looked at my high school repairs[:-], gave a long *sigh* , said something like " what on earth were you thinking" and started in on the repairs. I sectioned out the last 6 inches of the fuse sides to give the stab a fresh place to rest and added thin plywood doublers to solidify the tail. I then flipped it over and sectioned out the upper deck around the fin area to get rid of the oil soaked wood, added a 1/4 inch doubler plate under the deck and slotted it so that the vertical fine is held by a 7/16th inch deep slot rather than the 3/16 slot that was original. Cut out a new fin to fit the deeper slotted fuse. I belive the Great Planes 40 was redesigned with these mods. Once that was done I added some Monokote and Ultrakote, found a fresh OS .40 FSR on ebay just like the original, dropped in a JR radio with fresh batteries and off I went into the wild blue.

One thing that everyone is amazed at is how blistering FASSSSSSST she is. Crazy FAST for a trainer, yet completely stable at speed. I should mention that I pitched the 1/4 inch plank ailerons and installed 3/8 by 1 and 1/4 tapered aileron stock. They fit like they were made to go there and I think are part of the reason that she's now so fast. It never seemed like it was so quick when I was learning to fly it. I think the old ailerons were much more draggy. Anyway, if your building one I highly recommend the tappered ailerons!!!!

The fully symmetrical airfoiled Bridi and Great Planes trainers are not exactly the same like some folks believe. The GP has one extra rib bay on each wing for a longer wing span and the GP tail has split elevators and full length rudder at the tail. I'm told that mod was for better knife edge flight. The latest offering in a .60 by Bridi has a Semi Symetrical wing on it which doesnt make it a T-60 in my book.

I may retire my old Bridi 40 before something happens to it and just build me another from plans. She flies well but the sentemental side of me cant bare to crash it. My father and I worked on it orginally and he passed away some 20 years ago. I guess I just needed to revisit the memories and see if she really flew as well as I remembered. She does.

Hmmmm, RCM plans service does have the plans to a Trainer 60 and KAOS .60................Where's my credit card?.

Name:	Ol31439.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	873561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11062.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	873562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10887.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	873563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38554.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	873564  
Old 02-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Broken Wings

I bought one of the Bridi Krafty 60 kits and it ain't the same.

So,.... I purchased RCM plan #476 RCM Advanced Trainer as well as plan #1327 RCM Advanced Trainer MKII.

Does anyone know what the difference(s) are between these two designs? I haven’t received them yet. I’ve got the MKII plans on CADD and used Mastercam to Wire EDM and wing rib template out of stainless steel.

I added the lightening holes (just a habit from building control line stunt models)

One of the GP Trainer 60's just sold on *bay for $155 and the kitkutter version of the RCM MKII is $200 available in late 2009.......

I'm just going to make templates so i don't have to go through withdrawls again.

Name:	Xu62438.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	873592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66527.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	873593  
Old 02-08-2008, 11:00 PM
glydrjocky

WOW! NICE RIB PATTERNS JOHN!!!!!!!!!!

Isnt that RCM MKII trainer designed with the split elevator and long rudder empenage? I was trying to figure out the plans differences a few days ago. Now I'm confused. I'm sure they all fly fantastic though.

I did manage to score a Bridi T-20 on ebay for cheap that I'm gonna use for patterns to cut out a new one.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Broken Wings

The RCM Advanced Trainer MKII shows the one piece elevator.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:50 PM
glydrjocky

I just found an old photo of Bob Boess, my R/C flight instructor at the RC BEE's field. Bob always had a scratch built, 0 dihedral, highly modified, over powered and tuned piped Trainer 60 at the field. This one was a light ply fuselage, painted by his wife, who was an artist. She painted all his planes including the Christian Eagle biplane that he flew, and sadly crashed after this photo was shot (another student used his radio for a buddy box and reversed the ailerons![&o]). I'm guessing this was photo taken in the winter of 1982, showing the legend doing what he did best. He was the king of touch and goes and slips to landing, and always taught me that anyone can fly a plane but not everyone can land one well. He spent hours perfecting the latter and we watched his every move.

This was also the first day I took my Bridi 40 trainer to the field and Bob took her up for the maiden flight. He was doing the flying, but as I recall, my knees were still knocking!!!

Name:	Om32515.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	873647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28529.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	873648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67754.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	873649  
Old 02-10-2008, 11:11 AM
glydrjocky

Good morning Mode One,

After reading your post I decided to test the spin characteristics of my Bridi Trainer 40! YIKES!!! would be the best description for my experience yesterday!!!

I tried a few spin entries on my first flight but the elevator travel was a bit low for a real solid stall break into the spin. On landing I set up a high rate on the elevator and on the next flight I got the entry I wanted. No hesitation before the spin, just a solid wicked break. I think the character of this symmetrical wing gets progressively more wicked as the angle of attack increases. In fact, when I rounded the leading edges some 25 years ago, I may have left them a bit on the sharp side, a blunted leading edge would make for softer stall characteristics..............hence the experience I have written below...........................

I climbed up quite high so as to give myself some recovery room. The previous spins seemed to be pretty tame, but I only did about about 2 turns before recovery. This time I pitched nose up and when she snapped into the spin I heald the controls for as long as I dared. I must have counted about 6 or more turns when I decided the ground was getting a bit close. I released the controls to neutral to see what would happen..........nuthin!.................I gave opposite rudder.................nuthin...............Now I'm getting concerned because I've burned up my marin for error and she's still spinning.................With my mind RACING and the ground too close for comfort I gave it every thing I had and PUSHED FULL DOWN ELEVATOR..........THAT finally broke the stall!!!!! She straightend out hurtling straight for the ground and I pulled back for all I was worth! OMG!!!! I missed the ground by about 10 feet!!!!! WHEW!!!!!!! Played it off for the crowd like I "intended" to do that.

The only reason I recoverd, was because I used to spin a real Super Decathalon when I was getting my tail wheel endorsement and that aircraft really stopped on heading when you pushed the stick hard forward coming out of a spin. That is what popped into my mind as she was failing to recover and that's all I had left in my bag of tricks to save it! If I would have paniced and just kept pulling back on the stick when the ground got close I'd be the owner of a pile of sticks right now!!!!!

WOW! Guess I learned something yesterday.

T

Old 03-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Broken Wings

Here are a couple shots of the "soon to be" RCM Adanved Trainer MKII that I've been longing for.....
I bought three sets of plans from RCM and started gathering balsa.

I made this Fuse Jig out of a very flat peice red oak and some Delrin Blocks that I machined. I have a GP Wing Jig for the wing. I'm still making former templates out of aluminum sheet stock.

The fuse is built upside down on the jig. It's a perfect rectangle between formers F2 and F3. It ought to make a nice square Fuselage. Making fixtures to manufacture your models is probably overkill but I'm sure that once I'm finished
there will be others. I've found that once you set-up to make the first part you can make a couple extras just as easy so I'm thinking ahead. After the first one is done I want to build a "woody" like Cafeen Mans Rustick. Maybe inlay some very thin dark venier for trim.

I'll machine the 2* degree right and down thrust onto the engine mount.

One of the reasons that I like this design is the landing gear. With the Flutes Tooling dual strut nose gear and aluminum main held on with "break-away" nylon screws it should hold up pretty well to my limited flying (landing) abilities.

I've got a New HB 61 PDP waiting for this model.

Name:	Bz77252.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	892264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57174.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	892265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19885.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	892266  
Old 03-04-2008, 05:13 PM
baylordsmith

I suggested they bring it back also. Ilearned in 1973 on the 20 size and loved it. Excellent plane--baylor[8D][8D]
Old 03-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Ed_Moorman

Look at the plans. It's basically a Stick. OK, there are some differences, buy I could easily make one from an ARF Stick kit.

A Stick has a flat bottom with the stab on the bottom. The RCM Trainer 40 has a flat top except for the fake, built-up cabin and has the stab on top.

Flip a Stick fuselage over, fill in the old wing saddle & cover, built a new wing saddle/cabin on top, change the shape of the horizontal and vertical tails (make new ones out of 1/4" sheet, if you like) and move the fin slightly forward.

You'll also need to add a new main gear mount and maybe some cheek cowls.

Looks to me like that's it.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:19 AM
Broken Wings

ORIGINAL: Ed_Moorman

Look at the plans. It's basically a Stick. OK, there are some differences, buy I could easily make one from an ARF Stick kit.

A Stick has a flat bottom with the stab on the bottom. The RCM Trainer 40 has a flat top except for the fake, built-up cabin and has the stab on top.

Flip a Stick fuselage over, fill in the old wing saddle & cover, built a new wing saddle/cabin on top, change the shape of the horizontal and vertical tails (make new ones out of 1/4" sheet, if you like) and move the fin slightly forward.

You'll also need to add a new main gear mount and maybe some cheek cowls.

Looks to me like that's it.
I'd like to see you do that. Would you do a build thread for us?
Old 03-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Sir Crashalot

John
What was different about the Krafty 60? It’s hard to tell from the picture on their web site. I was interested in buying one of these also, thinking it was similar to the RCM, GP versions.

Also, I’m still confused about the difference between the RCM Advanced Trainer (#476), and the RCM Advanced Trainer MKII (#1327). They both are listed as having the same wing span at 58 1/2"

I have the kit plans for the GP Trainer 60. Thinking it might be my next build. But I don’t know what the difference in flight characteristics would be from the RCM versions.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.