Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great Planes 40 PETE N POKE Sport Build!

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great Planes 40 PETE N POKE Sport Build!

Old 05-16-2010, 10:59 AM
shadwest1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes 40 PETE N POKE Sport Build!

well i have flown my pete n poke with weels it fly so nice and stable. and thats with an 11*6 prop i think ill have planty of power. just have to put my floats back on and whate tell my 11*6 teflown props to get here ill let u all now how it goes when i get it in the a with floats. ........................west
Old 06-03-2010, 10:00 AM
antiquefer

Still flying my Pete. The only thing I would do different if I were to build another one is invert the engine. Looks way better. I am building a set of taildragger type floats for mine......................antiquefer.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:15 PM
mkharv3

Well all I have not chimed in here in a long time. After all this time I finally flew my Pete n Poke. Long story short I had engine problems and was getting ready to convert to electric. But I am glad I did not. She ran great and and flew perfect without even trimming. How great it is to see something you built to fly.

I plan on flying again this weekend so hopefully I can get some good photos.

Mark
Old 10-21-2010, 12:15 AM
spadeng

Wow, after almost 3 years that thing had rather fly good. Just kidding I am glad you got that thing in the air
Old 10-22-2010, 11:17 PM
mkharv3

Todd,

You would have to bring that up! Hey at least while it sat I manage to build and fly 5 other planes!!!!! Oh well that is what I get.

I also added some flair to the covering. I will post photos later tomorrow.

See ya TODD!!!!
Old 10-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Smashmaster

I have several planes I have been working on longer than I care to mention. It is a hobby. When it gets to be something you HAVE to do,it starts to be more like work. I fly to relieve stress from work,not create it
Fred
Old 12-16-2010, 07:21 PM
mkharv3

Here is a short maiden video! Hope that you enjoy! Also after I shot this video I realized that the throttle was only opening 3/4. She really flies great now.

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3wBMTEXsI0&feature=related[/link]

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqPZoRH6PjE[/link]
Old 12-17-2010, 10:18 AM
jakester007

Here is some pics of my poke.................
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84969.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	1535258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79272.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	848.1 KB
ID:	1535259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46273.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	715.9 KB
ID:	1535260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39156.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	777.5 KB
ID:	1535261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc41450.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	876.2 KB
ID:	1535262  
Old 12-25-2010, 04:57 PM
hy flyr
My Feedback: (27)

Nice!
Old 10-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Joshsubmec
My Feedback: (2)

Hi, 
Im new to building flying models..ive built a couple guillows but never in larger scale. I was wondering what some essential tools would be for building these kits. Also if there is a forum about this please let me know.
Thanks Josh
By he way i have the Pete'n Poke, looks like its gunna be a good build.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:03 AM
mkharv3

Josh,

To be honest this build is going to be requiring a lot of your patience. There is a lot of shaping and sanding but I will turn out great. After all these years mine is still running strong. You should start at the beginning of this thread to see what I am referring to. Also you look at the manual to see the listing of required build items. Good luck and feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Mark
Old 12-30-2012, 06:27 AM
Smashmaster

Glad you got it flying. I have been subscribed to this thread since close to the beginning.
But don't feel bad,perfection takes time. I have been working on a Hog biplane off and on since November
of 2009. It will fly (or crash) this spring. The important thing is to finish them.
Looks like the .52 is a perfect match for that plane. I have one of those motors that I have been flying
at least 4 or 5 years. I have no idea how much fuel I have put through it,but it's a lot.
Fred
Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 AM
FlyingGreg
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys. I have been working on a PNP for a couple of months.

I noticed a while back that Tower was selling them for about $75 and not having anything on the bench, went ahead and bought one. Probably should have looked at a few of these posts first. Having recently completed a Sig 1/4 scale cub, I did not think I would be interested in building another kit that would take so much work; and man, the Cub had lots of sticks, sanding, cutting, gluing, matching, cussing, head scratching...well you get the idea.

I think the PNP is just as much work as the Cub, just a little smaller plane. At any rate, I've got the stab, elevator, rudder, fin complete and the wing almost done. That center section was a load of work.

I have plenty of stuff to fly, so I am not hugely motivated to build, but am looking forward to my second covering job using Sig Coverall, dope and paint to finish. My first expereince with coverall was to recover an old Kadet Senior. I like it better than iron on covering. After the work to apply, fill the weave with dope, sand, and paint, the covering has remained taught as the day is was shrunk, and it has the nostalgic look of fabric, because it is. I used Solartex on my cub and on other planes, and I like that as well, but on the PNP it's Coverall for me.

I too will be powering with an OS .52 FS. Once I get to point of covering, I'll post some pics, but for now there is not mush to see. I appreciate the tips seen here and the other PNP build thread. I realize this thread is quite old, but what the heck, somebody will be interested. Right? Right?
Old 01-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Sharpeye22

Always interested. My PNP took the deep plung in a big lake and by the time I was able to recove it had become non airworthy. I am thinking of building another. And like the firest bash it into something more to my flavor. The first was changed to be a float plane. (No bottom hatches, engine inverted with hatch covering it all the way back to the wing struts. And cub style wing struts going from the bottom to the middle of each wing panel. This one will be a PNP biplane.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:11 AM
Tiffoso

This old Brasilian is going to get married April 27th...and one of my friends will bring me a kit o the Pet-n-Poke as a gift...nice!!!
Hope to start building on May...and as I'm much more a builder than a pilot I believe It'll be flyng in 4 months or a bit more.
Power will be a OS 52 FS, ASP. 61 or maybe a OS 46 FX. I believe PNP askas for a 4 Stroker, don't you Gentlemen agree?
I'll be folowing this tread and posting some info about my project as soon I have something to report.

Blue skies to all!!
Old 04-02-2013, 05:57 AM
FlyingGreg

OK guys, I said earlier that I would upload some photos of covering with Sig Coverall, if any one is interested. Using Coverall is easy, but different than using iron on covering. Like everything else in this hobby, there are many different ways to accomplish the task. I use nitrate dope and coat the bare wood structure with it thinned just a little. I use a single coat and do not sand afterward. Others will apply several coats and sand between each. Next cut a piece of Coverall slightly larger than what you are covering as I have done in the first photo to cover the vertical fin. Next, begin dabbing with your brush on top of the frame where you want the covering to stick. It will go thru the weave of the Coverall and soften the dope you applier earlier underneath. When it dries in about 15 minutes, it will be stuck very well. I don't dope where it covers the braces or ribs on a wing untill after shrinking. The third photo shows the fin prior to trimming which is done with a blade, scissors or with a sanding block. the fourth and fifth pics show the wing with the Coverall prior to sticking and partially stuck. The next photo is the bottom of the wing with the Coverall completely stuck prior to shrinking and last photo is the top of the wing, again prior to shinking. I will do that next and post photos later (if i get any responses to this post). One of the nice things about Coverall is you can cover the entire bottom or top with one large piece and any areas that do get completely covered, such as the ends of ailerons, or where they are cut out of the wing, gets plenty of fuel proofing with the dope. No need to clean your brush after working each time, either. Simply set in your dope next time and it will soften in a few minutes. At the end of the project you can clean it or throw it away.

The next step in the covering process is to shink the wing covering and apply at least two coates of nitrate dope to fill the weave. After that, I will sand lightly, prime with Krylon and then apply the color. I would not go thru this amount of work for every plane I build, but for the right model, such as the Pete N Poke, it's most appropriate, IMO.

After the wing, I will cover the fuse with a single pieice for the bottom and then, hopefully a single piece for top/sides. BTW, Coverall is not very expensive and come in large pieces of 67 x 129" that I bought at Hamilton Hobbies for $18.99 and a smaller package of 26 x 67" for $6.99. A quart of dope is about $18 and a quart of thinnes is $14. More than enough material for the Pete.

More later.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61672.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1869384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96505.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1869385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98475.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1869386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq43518.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1869387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi60670.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1869388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ct17788.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1869389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vx44775.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1869390  
Old 04-02-2013, 10:59 AM
dwreel

Maybe i"m wrong, but I've been told Nitrate Dope is not fuel (glow) proof. Use the Butyrate Dope for fuel proofing.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:00 PM
FlyingGreg

I think Dwreel is correct. Although I have not used it, I am told butyrate dope will adhere to nitrate, but nitrate will not stick to butyrate. And nitrate is better for sticking down the fabric. I use Krylon over the nitrate which has performed well for fuel proofing.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Sharpeye22

You are correct FlyingGreg.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:27 PM
the.master.link

What is wrong with the photos you are putting on this build? Have you reduced the size of the photos?I have tried them all, but he ones that are taking so long just a too long for me to wait on them all.I do like the shop and think you are off to a great start. Later, Richard Link
Old 04-08-2013, 03:08 PM
goirish

I have the PNP kit but the plans got a can of paint spilled on the Fuselage sheet. Can any one make a copy for me. I have paypal, MO or what ever way you want me to pay for it.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:58 PM
the.master.link

Sorry I do not have one of the PNP planes. If I did I would send it to you FREE!Thanks for the message, how did my reply get from message 1 to message 11??Sorry, The Master Link
Old 04-09-2013, 04:08 AM
FlyingGreg

What is wrong with the photos you are putting on this build? Have you reduced the size of the photos?I have tried them all, but he ones that are taking so long just a too long for me to wait on them all.I do like the shop and think you are off to a great start. Later, Richard Link
Richardis this directed at me? The photos were not very large at 400-500kb and they look fine on my screen. Anyone else having difficulty?

Greg
Old 04-09-2013, 03:09 PM
the.master.link

Greg, I was just letting you know how some of the photos in your posts are acting. Maybe there is something wrong with my equipment, I'll have it checked out, Later, Link
Old 03-01-2014, 01:21 PM
mkharv3

Goirish, no this is an old post but do you still need plans?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.