Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

B Usa Dviii

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

B Usa Dviii

Old 04-15-2003, 09:45 PM
TomCrump

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default B Usa Dviii

I have a Balsa USA Fokker DVIII on the way. Does anybody have any hints or tips for the construction of this model?
Old 04-15-2003, 10:25 PM
BingoFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B Usa Dviii

Check the wood in your kit, Balsa USA has been known for inconsistent wood. The good thing is that they are very good at replacing it but I hate to wait for new wood to come if I have already started the kit.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:51 PM
TomCrump

Default summer in TC

Give me a call if you are in Travers this summer. I'm in the book. I fly with a small club in Buckley. I should have some progress on the DVIII by then.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:56 PM
Terror Dactyl

Default B Usa Dviii

Please feel free to post your progress as a friend (does not have internet access) has one of the kits that he will be starting in a month or so.

Take care Jim
Old 04-23-2003, 08:01 PM
TomCrump

Default progress

I got the kit on the 17th,and started it the next morning. So far I haven't run into any problems, allthough I had to take it over to afriend;s house to join the three sections of the wing. My building board isn't long enough to join it the way they prescribe. The only other problem I had is the soldering. I need to learn how. So far, the wing is sheeted on the bottom, and the fuse is framed up,ready for the turtledeck formers. ps. Check out Glenn Torrance Models for some really cool DVIIIstuff. He has covering,cockpit kit,an ammo box, and more. Prices aren't too bad.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:53 PM
TomCrump

Default DVIII update

I finished sheeting the wing and got the cabanes made. The incedene is set. So far so good. Still no problems. From what I've seen so far, I'd reccomend this kit.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:02 PM
hookemut
My Feedback: (3)

Default B Usa Dviii

Hi Tom,
My flying buddy has taken over the construction of my BUSA Fokker D-VIII, following my heart attack.
I have included some shots showing progress on the model. The wood in my kit is excellent, as is the building manual and plans. BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE MANUAL CAREFULLY!! The cabane concept is very accurate and strong, I will post a shot of them as well.
Would be interested in further discussions of your progress,
Sincerly,
Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	79753_6018.gif
Views:	12
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	42980  
Old 05-19-2003, 01:11 PM
hookemut

Default Re: DVIII update

Originally posted by TomCrump
I finished sheeting the wing and got the cabanes made. The incedene is set. So far so good. Still no problems. From what I've seen so far, I'd reccomend this kit.
Hi Tom,
I sure agree, this kit is a winner-can't wait to see it airborne!We have selected our color scheme and here is the promised cabane shot. If you go to http://www.pilots-n-planes-ww1.com/C...D8/Fok-D8.htm, you can look at shots taken in WW-I of the D-VIII's as they were then!
Regards,
Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	79755_6018.gif
Views:	12
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	42981  
Old 05-19-2003, 08:21 PM
TomCrump

Default B Usa Dviii

Jim, looks like I better get moving! You are catching up to me. I have the wing sheeted,now, and one aileron left to build. Then it's on to the wingtips. The tailsection is also completed. I'm gonna have to order the covering soon. I plan on powering mine with a G-23. What are you going to use? Have fun.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:03 PM
hookemut

Default B Usa Dviii

Hi Tom,
Well, my friend Max is a real builder, so it is his effort that is bringing about the results!
We will use a G-23 as well-one of the latest before the G-26 was released. We measure around 13-14 # of static thrust, which BSA agrees is just fine for this model.
You mentioned ordering fabric-from GTM? (Glen Torrence Models) If you haven't done so, a visit to his web site is well worth your time: http://www.gtmodels.com/
Enjoy sharing notes with you,
Best Wishes,
Jim
Old 05-20-2003, 01:00 AM
TomCrump

Default covering

Jim, I think I have the GTM site memorized. They have a lot of great DVIII stuff. Since I'm not going for an exact scale model, I'm using his airshow pictures of his DVIII as my documentation. I plan on getting a few items from GTM, but I think I'll order my covering from Arizona Model Aircrafters. I think it will be easier to put on. I haven't doped a model in 30 years, and don't really want to get into it now. You got me motivated, tonite, and I built the other aileron and hinged it. I'll hinge the other one tomorrow and start shaping the tips then, too. Thanx for posting the pics. I'd like to see more as you guys get father along as well as the finished bird. Thanks again.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:46 PM
TomCrump

Default update

The framing of the model is complete. No real problems during construction. I thought the cowl, as supplied, was flimsy, so I glassed the inside with heavy fiberglass. It makes a big difference in strength. I changed my mind on power and ordered a G-26 from Hobby Barn. Should be here tomorrow. When it arrives, I can mount it, and then look at servo and battery placement for correct balance. I'd like steerable tailpost so I have to figure something out, there. So far, so good.