Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

soldering landing gear parts

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

soldering landing gear parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 06:04 AM
Ronplanes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soldering landing gear parts

My kit tells me to solder these meatal U clips to my under wing landing gear[music wire] to hold on my wheel skirts later on, how do you do this without taking the hardness out of the music wire?? you can answer here or email me , [email protected]
Old 04-22-2003, 06:39 AM
CafeenMan

Ronplanes - You don't need to get it that hot. You won't remove the temper from the music wire unless you way over heat it.

Sand the music wire where you want to solder using 600 paper. Do the same with the clip. Apply rosin to both or acid if you want.

Put the clip in place and put your soldering iron against the clip where it contacts the music wire. The soldering iron should be below the clip.

Put the solder to the metal and it should flow out nicely.

Lastly, clean the wire well using a toothbrush, soap and warm water. The rosin or acid will cause the wire to start corroding. You should probably spray it with silicone protectant or oil it if you don't plan to paint it.

The idea with solder is to get the metal heated quickly, apply the solder and then let it cool.

Also, let it cool naturally. If you cool it with water the solder joint will crack.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:37 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A torch will make the process much easier, but it can also over heat the metal, so it must be used more carefully.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:13 PM
Ronplanes

thanks cafeen man and miniflyer, I did it with a real hot heavy duty iron and a acid core solder , thanks
Old 04-22-2003, 10:29 PM
CafeenMan

Ronplanes - that acid is dangerous to your landing gear. After you think you've cleaned it up as well as you can, it can still linger in the crooks and crannies. I suggest you clean it a couple times just to be sure and then protect the gear with something as I mentioned before.

Glad it worked for you. I have an old Stanley soldering iron that I inherited from my grandad. I couldn't begin to tell you what wattage it is, but it's huge and still has a braided cord. I'll have to replace that because the plug is starting to disintigrate and it's becoming an electrical/fire hazard. For general purposes I also have a small soldering iron.

I use a butane torch sometimes, but it's a pain to find the cartridges and by the time I'm done with it I don't use it again for a while and it's usually all leaked out.