Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Ultra Sport 40 or TRACER ??

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Ultra Sport 40 or TRACER ??

Old 05-28-2008, 08:28 AM
HFrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Sport 40 or TRACER ??

Hello, I want a good sport plane in the .40 - .46 class, capable of fast, smooth and precise performance, but I'm confused, can you tell me please in your oppinion what are the pros. and cons. of the US40 vs. the TRACER ??

Thanks.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:45 AM
bigugly

Default RE: Ultra Sport 40 or TRACER ??

Ive never flown the tracer other than the sim. but I have a US 40 and its a great plane. I think it will do what your asking plus its much prettier than the tracer.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:31 AM
XTOL

Ive flown both the Ultra Sport and the Tracer and while the Tracer is a
pretty good plane in its own right it doesnt compare to the Ultra Sport.

The Ultra Sport is truly the best sport plane ever.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

My vote would go to the US 40 I have flown both and agree the U.S. 40 -60 or 1000 is one of the best planes ever designed. Heres another thing to consider the US is a side mounted engine while the tracer is a inverted mounted.
The one I flew had to be started upside down to keep it from flooding at start up.
Both planes flew well but as I said I think the U.S. will out perform the tracer hands down.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:16 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Go with the Ultra Sport 40. The Ultra Sports really are just about the best flying sport plane ever made. Once you fly it you'll be spoiled for life. It's such a sweet flying plane that you'll wind up needing to ALWAYS want one in your hanger

Ken
Old 05-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The US 40 is a fine plane (haven't flown the Tracer). It becomes even finer if you lower the stabilizer an inch so that it's on the thrust line. And it's a very easy modification.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:54 PM
kirknik

I ve had both and both are excellent. Tracer is faster and more precise, the Ulrasport 40+ will do more but less like a pattern plane. Tracer is harder to fly. Had os .46 and retracts in both as well.
cant go wrong with either.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig10968.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	959231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91282.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	959232  
Old 05-28-2008, 09:02 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

kirknik,
The Ultra Sport+ isn't a true Ultra Sport in my opinion. I've had a US+ and it doesn't fly nearly as well as the Ultra Sport 40 does.

Ken
Old 05-30-2008, 08:07 AM
HFrank

Thanks for your replies, guys, and this question is for XTOL : you have flown both planes, could you please explain why the US40 is a better plane ? is it smoother ? or more precise ? or tracks better ? ... I'd like to know more about the performance of these two planes.

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:02 AM
ILove2Bld

I have not personally flown the Ultra Sport 40+ but every one that I have talked to that has says it is not worth it. They do not like it and say that the changes from the standard design have taken out some of the very things that make an Ultra Sport so great! Again this only applies to the 40+ Not the regular US. I have the tracer 40 kit that I will build this winter and we shall see how it flies in the spring.The Ultra Sports are literally world renowned and are some what pattern style planes and not for beginner fliers or builders. If you have some experience in both though you should be alright with the Ultra Sport 40. I would try getting the plans for the 60 size though as it is a much better plane and is a bullet in the wind. You can get the plans online and have a laser cutter cut you a long kit for a reasonable price. The Great Planes Ultra 60 builds heavy but you can lighten it up easy enough or leave it and it will just need to be over powered with a 65 or even a 90 size engine.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:04 PM
XTOL

ORIGINAL: HFrank

Thanks for your replies, guys, and this question is for XTOL : you have flown both planes, could you please explain why the US40 is a better plane ? is it smoother ? or more precise ? or tracks better ? ... I'd like to know more about the performance of these two planes.

Thanks.
Well...that question is a bit subjective. It amounts to personal preference.
They are both excellent planes but designed for different purposes.

The Tracer is more of a pattern type plane while the Ultra Sport was
designed as an advanced Sport Plane. If I was flying in a pattern contest
I would be more apt to go for the Tracer. If I was flying at our club field
on a fine Sunday afternoon it would be the Ultra Sport. It has no bad habits
thus its reputation as the best sport plane ever.

The Tracer flies faster and you need to stay on top of it. The Ultra Sport
flies so smoothly and effortlessly its almost like flying a simulator.

You would be happy with either plane. If I had to chose one
over the other the nod would go to the Ultra Sport. There is
a reason why every one that flies one raves about it.

Mike Hammer
Old 05-31-2008, 07:55 AM
HFrank

Thanks XTOL, BTW, is it worth to install retracts to the US40 ??
Old 05-31-2008, 10:01 AM
XTOL

Thanks XTOL, BTW, is it worth to install retracts to the US40 ??
Personally I wouldnt bother with retracts on the 40 but if
I ever build another US60 it will have retracts.

When I built my US60 I decided against retracts mainly
because our club field is a bit rough. Thats pretty hard
on retracts. I dont regret that decision. The Ultra Sport
flies wonderfully...retracts or not.

So give your field some consideration before you decide.

You should also build your Ultra Sport as a tail dragger.
It handles very well as a tail dragger and avoids the weight
and drag of the nose gear. Plus its a lot easier if you decide to
go with retracts. Space for a retractable nose gear is limited.

Mike Hammer
Old 06-03-2008, 10:54 AM
kirknik

Just to jump in on the us40+ vs. the original Ultrasport. The original flew better. It was very forgiving, fast and would do just about anything. It was probably the best sport flyer kit out there. I have had both but prefer the look of the 40+ especially in the air. To me it looks more like a real plane and it flies very very well on its own. As far as retracts, we have a paved runway and wheels up just looks great at full throttle right on the deck. I have used the mechanical ones on both planes. My Ultrasport had a fixed trike set up. The Tracer needs a lot more speed on landing and is so slick going through the air it takes forever to slow down.
Once again, both are excellent, but go with the Ultrasport. Either one.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:07 AM
jeffk464

In my opinion nothing flies like a pattern plane, if the tracer is a decent pattern plane I would highly recommend it. What about the Great Planes Venus, its not a kit, but its suppose to be a great 40 sized pattern plane.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:45 PM
catspaw

so, was a decision made? I built and flew US 40's back when they came out, in novice pattern. Using a Saito .65. First one had retracts, second fixed gear cause the retracts kept ripping out even on smooth landings (riiiighhhtttt).

anyways, I've had a framed up Tracer sitting on the shelf for a few years now, and a original US 40 kit in my stash (2nd US was shot down by newbie), so I can't give a direct comparision, but you can't go wrong with the US. I used the US as my general purpose plane after I quit pattern. I could just groove with that plane.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:30 PM
plumberdeluxe
My Feedback: (208)

Without a doubt the US performs friendlier than the Tracer in almost every respect.

Tracer lands faster and needs longer approaches, US lands softer, slower, and easier.

US is more aerobatic, Tracer likes to fly strait and fast.

Any Ultra Sport you build except the US 40+ will be your favorite plane.

The Tracer will not be your favorite plane unless you also have a US .40+
Old 09-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Bernard
My Feedback: (1)

I know you were looking for a 40 size plane but I have built and flown both the US 40 and 60 and I like the 60 size better. It is bigger, easier to see, flys smooth and ha a bit more weight on those windy days. The US 60 will fly with a 2cycle 60 or 75 engine quite well. If you are still deciding, I really would look at the 60 size.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:30 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Hello, I want a good sport plane in the .40 - .46 class, capable of fast, smooth and precise performance, but I'm confused, can you tell me please in your oppinion what are the pros. and cons. of the US40 vs. the TRACER ??

Thanks.
I've owned and flown several Ultra Sport 40 planes over the years and I agree with plumberdeluxe, it's an all time favorite, tracks right where you expect it to track in turns, inverted, and really can out-perform most planes in it's class without just being a left turn type racer.
It's also a pleasure to build.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Cdallas2

I have all three. Tracer 40, US 60 & US 40.

I would disagree that the Tracer is harder to fly. It is harder to land though. It has a tendency to tip stall at lower speeds so you need to grease it in. In the air though it is a beauty. I've got about 40 flights on mine and it's the straightest plane I've ever flown. It's a pattern plane and flies as advertised.

The Ultrasports on the other hand are a blast to fly. The 40 has retracts and is a rocket ship. They will fly noticeably slower but the small one is hard to slow down so I need to grease it in as well. The 60 is powered by an MVVS .77 and vertical is near unlimited. It's not as fast but is very powerful in vertical maneuvers. The major complaint I have for both is the lack of rudder authority. Even basic stall turns are tricky and knife-edge is not really possible.

The Ultrasports I bring out when I just want to blast around and hot-dog. The Tracer is good for more precise flying.

Similar aircraft but both fly differently. You really can't go wrong with either.

PS. If you go with the Tracer be careflu of the fuselage wood supplied in the kit. Heavy and not quite the right size.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57343.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	1032583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27894.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	1032584  
Old 02-24-2009, 11:33 PM
dptp9lf

Cdallas2,
I see you have fixed gear on the fuse of your Tracer rather than the wing gear. Do you happen to have any pics of how you beefed up the fuse to support that gear?
I have wing retracts and want to remove all that and replace it with the fuse mounted fixed gear. As it's built now it has a removable cover so it's really weak.
Any input would be appreciated,
Cheers,
Lyle
Old 02-25-2009, 12:20 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

All my US planes knife edge easily, throw in more rudder, you'll need longer horns.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Nito Pilot beat me to it ,I was going to say my US 40 and 60 and even the 1000 did knife edge with out any problems rudder only in fact, It could be as simple as not enough throw, I would try that first. Lateral Balance,CG, Engine thrust and incidence plays a big role in good KE performance also.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Cdallas2

The modification is pretty straight forward actually.

Originally we had used a 1/16" lite ply over the bottom of the front fuse and added a 1/4" Aircraft Ply block the same size as the gear over top of that. It worked great for about 50 flights then after one too many hard landings it ripped itself out. I modified it by pinning the fuse sides to the bottom edges with bamboo skewers and tri-stock but that wasn't enough as the lite-ply just ripped out after 2 or 3 flights. I've finally seemed to fix it by removing the lite-ply and using aircraft-ply and tri-stock and it has held together for about 15 or so flights since then.

As far as knife-edge goes I haven't really played around with CG and rudder throws on either US but I may do that a bit this season, we'll just have to see.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:23 PM
dptp9lf

Thanks Cdallas2,
Thanks for the run-down on gear. Is yours nose heavy? I have 3oz. in the tail now and am worried moving the gear forward would make it worse. Earlier in the thread a guy mentioned checking the wood before building which i didn't do but you shouldn't have to.
Anyway,
Thanks for the info,
Lyle

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.