Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Painting Solartex

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Painting Solartex

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 01:02 PM
chris-s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Solartex

Hi folks,

I am recovering a wing with yellow Solartex, but would like to add some stripes and stuff using paint, most likely plasticote/krylon aerosols.

If I mask the areas, is the paint likely to bleed anymore because it is a fabric covering than it would if it were, say solarfilm? A little bleeding could be covered with thin black trim tape.

Finally, should I apply a lacquer to the covering to help keep it clean? Will a simple polyurethane varnish in an aerosol be ok?

Cheers,

Chris
Old 03-13-2002, 01:15 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have and am currently painting solartex with rustoleum. There will be a little blead but I usually solve that by spraying a light misting of spray paint along the tape seams thats the same color as the base color. Then if there is any bleed, its the same color. Since its colored solartex I would recomend using a clear cause you might not be able to match it perfectly. Then again it might be a neat highlight along the edge, dunno, your call. I usually buy all white then put a base coat on and paint the whole plane. This gives a pretty decent edge, not PERFECT. It'll hold up for a loooong time.
Edwin
Old 03-13-2002, 03:14 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just buy a can of Rustoleum, PlastiKote, and Krylon and see what you like?

I can tell you that the PlastiKote Acrylic Laquer is fuel proof to about 15% nitro with fresh fuel much higher for exhaust, dries fast but may get brittle after several years. Some say Rustoleum is fuel proof, you could test for this after drying by putting a few drops on a test piece and wiping off after a few minutes. Krylon is definately not fuel proof, it is basically a fast drying enamal, dries faster than Rustoleum, but slower than laquer.
Old 03-15-2002, 07:36 PM
Jon Mead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,

I have had good results masking and painting Solartex. I used regular paper masking tape too. However, a couple of tips:-

1. I use a straightedge and hobby knife to trim a new edge to the masking tape - this gives a sharper edge to your paint line.

2. I run my thumbnail along the edge of the masking tape once it is applied to the plane to seal it down properly. This does more to stop paint creep than anything else I know.

3. When removing the masking tape, peel it back along itself, so that you aren't lifting the edge of the paint. This is hard to describe, but easy to do.

Your pre-coloured Solartex will stay cleaner if you spray it with polyurethane varnish, but these can yellow over time, so you might get better results with a proper fuel proofer.