Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Adhesive information needed

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Adhesive information needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:19 AM
bigal126
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adhesive information needed

After a 30 year absence from this hobby, this old dog has decided to build. I have purchased my kit, a midstar 40. When talking to the LHS about adhesives, all I get out of him is CA this and CA that. CA didn't exist 30 years ago. I practiced with the CA a little pon some scap wood, but the only thing that got glued was my finger to my thumb. Needed the exacto to get free.

Unfortunately the RC guys in my area seem to fly only ARF and RTF. They have no knowledge base on modern kit building techniques. Can someone give me an outline on which adhesives to use and where? Please list the type of glue and where it should be used, and where it should not. Also, if you can link me to some other sites that I can read up, on it would be appreciated. I've already got a lot of info from this forum which has been helpful.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:11 PM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Adhesive information needed

You can do the majority of your build with yellow or white wood glue. These are alphilatic resins.
Elmers, Titebond, lots of brands available.

You will need 30 minute epoxy for a few things:
Landing gear blocks
Joining wing halves together
Attaching stabilizer and fin to fuselage

RCKen (one of the moderators) did a build thread for a SIG LT-40 using wood glue almost exclusively. Here is a link to the thread. Even though your kit is different you can see how he did the construction. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3439708

He and minnflyer also created a site geared toward beginners. Even if you're not a beginner there is a lot of good content.
www.gettingairborne.com