Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Any Stick Style .40 Sized Kits Available Any More?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Any Stick Style .40 Sized Kits Available Any More?

Old 11-04-2008, 10:57 AM
SpinnerRow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Stick Style .40 Sized Kits Available Any More?

I'm looking to get back into the hobby after a 20 year absense and I'd like to relive the "glory days". I had a DAS Little Stick that I modified quite a bit and put a OS46 and a tuned pipe on. Man, that was a fun plane! These days the Hanger 9 Ultra Stick 40 or a Goldberg Wild Stik 40 are about what I'm looking for in a kit but all I seem to find these days is ARFs. A .40 size with a new 55AX and tuned pipe should produce some giggles. Anyone know where I can get a kit like this?

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2008, 11:11 AM
draftman1

Default RE: Any Stick Style .40 Sized Kits Available Any More?

welcome back to the hobby. I was just like you, out of it for 20 yrs. Well most of the kits are gone and now we are stuck with a bunch of arfs, yuck! there are other options. scratch build of course, ebay for older kits, there are companys that will cut out a "short Kit" for you, that is close to a kit as you can get. there are plans on the net for a stick. Another option, and thats what I took was, SPADS, planes built out of coroplast (signboard) and gutterpipe. very cheap and easy to build. there are some sticks on that site, spadtothebone is the site. also very durable planes, they can cartwheel down the runway and still be able to fly
Old 11-04-2008, 12:42 PM
sgillmore
My Feedback: (50)

I'm not aware of any .40-size stick kits, but it's hard to believe there isn't something out there!

If all else fails, you might also consider a Great Planes Dazzler. It's sort of a mid-wing stick and very reasonably priced.
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJ591&P=7]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJ591&P=7[/link]
Old 11-04-2008, 01:51 PM
carrellh

The only current "stick" kit that I ever find when doing Google searches is the 'Bridi Stick' and it is a big plane.
http://www.bridiairplanes.com/hangar/bridistick.html
Old 11-04-2008, 02:18 PM
flying pastor

Have a look on the Vintage & Antique forum for a thread "Dos Little stiks". You may find it interesting.
Chris.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:46 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Welcome back. Man has a lot changed!

The Great Planes Dazzler mentioned above as well as Tower Hobbies Uproar are both modern day stick kits at inexpensive prices.

Speaking of the days of old. A couple buddies and I flew Scooters and Scat Cats with OS45FSR's on pipes using 10X7 or 10X8 props. That helped fill the need for speed......
Old 11-04-2008, 02:54 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

There are plans out there available for a 40 size stick....
Old 11-04-2008, 03:10 PM
SpinnerRow

Thanks for all of the replies!

I'm not the scratch build kind of guy - not yet any way. I've built 10 or so models in my life and all of those were 20+ years ago. I'm "only" 46 now so I should have some time to learn!

And yes, the technology has changed vastly in the time I've been out of it. One handy skill I have acquired over the years is dabbling in electronics. I've designed and built several circuits and circuit boards over the years and when I see something like voltage regulators costing $30+ and know that I can get the parts for to make one for less than $3 and have a board designed in a couple of hours, it makes me cringe and smile at the same time. I see some cross hobby action in my future.

My Little Stick I mentioned in my initial post looked a lot like the Goldberg Wild Stik 40. If I could find one of those, I might jump on that. I might move up a size or two as the winds here in the Dallas area are pretty relentless in the summer time. A bigger model (60, 90 or 1.20 size) might be better suited. I'm originally from Memphis and my club was the Memphis PropBusters. After 4:00pm in the the summer evenings, the wind was dead calm most of the time. A .40 sized plane was real fun to fly.

Another subject is radios. I saw a bunch of Spektrum DX7s at a field I visted recently so that may be a good choice for a plane like this. I can get into these computer radios since I'm part computer programmer / Network Security where I work now.

I've been lurking here a little while now and look forward to being around even more.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 11-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Campgems

Balsa USA has a 40 stick kit. I was looking for something else today and ran across it.

Don
Old 11-04-2008, 05:14 PM
TFF

I say scratch one. Very few parts to make; it was the arf of the 60s-80s. If you have to have a kit I would get a Sig 4Star; its like a low wing stick in a way. I fly at the Prop Busters now.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:03 AM
The Bluehead

I second the Balsa USA Stick 40. The current version of the Swizzle Stick. My buddy Dale down in Tennessee and I have built several. They are cheap, easy to build, and are great fliers. Search this site for the swizzle stick and you should find a few more threads. Especially the build Dale started about the double size stick he just started. Good Luck.

https://www.balsastore.com/store/pro...l.php?prod=434

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_24...2Cstick/tm.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69765.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1065841  
Old 11-05-2008, 08:39 PM
jkovar

Spinner I have plans for a 60 size rookie. Its a kit that I got from Roy's in Bedford. They dont make the kit anymore, to bad, its such a sweet flying plane. I know you said that you are not much a a scratch an build kinda guy, but if you change your mind let me know. I have an os 61 fx on it and its a rocket. Flying in the wind is not a problem with this thing...

take care..

Name:	Ol31562.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1066318  
Old 11-05-2008, 10:04 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: SpinnerRow
I'm not the scratch build kind of guy - not yet any way. I've built 10 or so models in my life and all of those were 20+ years ago. I'm "only" 46 now so I should have some time to learn!
I know what you mean about not being into scratch building but there is probably no better plane to start in than a Stik. While I have not personally built one, I do have the plans for the .40 size Ugly Stik and it looks like a very straight forward build with no intricate cuts or difficulties. One of these days I'll actually build it.

It looks like some laser cutters also offer cut ribs, formers, etc.: http://lazer-works.com/rcm.html
Old 11-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Lazer Works has a short kit and plans for the old Midwest Das Little Stick, as well as the Jensen Ugly Stick.

[link=http://lazer-works.com/misc.html]Little Stick[/link]

I've never tried their kits, so I can't vouch for them, but I found their site one time and marked it.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:27 AM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: Ed_Moorman

Lazer Works has a short kit and plans for the old Midwest Das Little Stick, as well as the Jensen Ugly Stick.

[link=http://lazer-works.com/misc.html]Little Stick[/link]

I've never tried their kits, so I can't vouch for them, but I found their site one time and marked it.
OK, this definately might be worth a look. I live close enough to them to drive up and check them out before I decide to buy. Thanks for the link. I might have to look into the BIG STIK as well.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:11 AM
sgillmore
My Feedback: (50)

Here's another possibility for you:

B&P Perfection
[link]http://bpassociates.homestead.com/perfection2.html[/link]

I know absolutely nothing about the company or the quality of their kit so I can't vouch for it. I just noticed the ad while browsing through R/C Reports Magazine last night. Describing their website as "weak" is an understatement, so you'll probably have to call them for more info. I can't even figure out how much it costs!
Old 11-06-2008, 11:09 AM
The Bluehead

I have built 2 short kits from Lazer Works and their work is good. I bought larger scale planes and can't vouch for those stick kits, but what I got went together perfectly. He used good quality balsa and ply, and the cutting looked flawless.

Good Luck, Will
Old 11-06-2008, 03:01 PM
flying pastor

Spinner, Sorry I didn't make myself very clear in post #5. The link that I suggested that you look at is about the Lazer-works Little stik. There is some good info on it. I understand that you don't get the plan for that price but the plan is still available. I am at present, very slowly, scratch building a Jensen Ugly stik and am really enjoying it. Lazer cut kits are usually very accurate and quick to build.....so how about going for both sizes!
Chris.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:01 PM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: flying pastor

Spinner, Sorry I didn't make myself very clear in post #5. The link that I suggested that you look at is about the Lazer-works Little stik. There is some good info on it. I understand that you don't get the plan for that price but the plan is still available. I am at present, very slowly, scratch building a Jensen Ugly stik and am really enjoying it. Lazer cut kits are usually very accurate and quick to build.....so how about going for both sizes!
Chris.
I will definately check that thread out. RCM has little stick plans it looks like for $9 plus about $8 for shipping (round tube packaging).

My old little sticks were not the stock kit. One one one of favorites I built I added an extra rib to each wing, shortened the nose a bit and enlarged the control surfaces some. It had a OS .46 ABC on it with a pipe. Fun, fun plane and would fly real slow. I think I had an 11x6 prop on it and I tried a 12x5 for a bit but the engine didn't make enough power to provide good throttle response. It would hang pretty good though.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:47 PM
SpinnerRow

Just ordered a Das Little Stick kit from Eddie at Lazerworks. Can't wait to start on it! Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:26 AM
Campgems

ORIGINAL: sgillmore

Here's another possibility for you:

B&P Perfection
[link]http://bpassociates.homestead.com/perfection2.html[/link]

I know absolutely nothing about the company or the quality of their kit so I can't vouch for it. I just noticed the ad while browsing through R/C Reports Magazine last night. Describing their website as "weak" is an understatement, so you'll probably have to call them for more info. I can't even figure out how much it costs!
I gota tell you, they state a "formed aluminum landing gear", but the one it the photo is wire. HUMmmm

Don
Old 11-07-2008, 07:40 PM
jrbmoto

ORIGINAL: SpinnerRow

Just ordered a Das Little Stick kit from Eddie at Lazerworks. Can't wait to start on it! Thanks for all the help guys.
You made a great choice! I did the "Dos Little Stiks" thread (Dos=Spanish for two...I built two at a time..not sure if everybody got that) The kits were very nice and include everything but a few odds and ends and hardware of course. I really enjoyed building them as I'm sure you will. Keep us posted on your progress.

-Johnny-
Old 11-14-2008, 11:34 AM
SpinnerRow

Cool, I got the kit in from Lazerworks yesterday. Man, the lazer cut stuff is the way to go these days. I've started to gather the parts that I need for the rest of the build. I'm a long ways off as I still need a radio, engine and everything else to get this thing in the air. The first one is going to be a bit expensive. I'm all excited though. I plan to make several changes to the plane so that it can support a .46AX or a .55AX with a pipe. The main thing is I'm extended the wing another rib on each side so it will be about 51-52" span. I'm going to change the tail feathers a bit as I don't like the round rudder that much but the rest of it will be all little stick. Going to cover it some kind of military scheme of some sort. Should be a fun plane. Since I've been out of it a while, I've got a RealFlight G4.5 that I've been playing with and can't wait to get the real thing in the air. It seems to have come back to me pretty quick.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:24 PM
SpinnerRow

Just finished my Little Stick. Thought I would post picks before it rekit itself!

It has an OS 46AX with a pipe on it and weighs just a tick under 4lbs. Should be a fun plane if I can keep it flying. I'm kinda putting the cart before the horse here as I need to buy a trainer first and get my thumbs back in order before I fly this thing.

Name:	Hf98221.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1141513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54091.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1141514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99519.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	68.8 KB