Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

Old 03-05-2019, 12:29 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Agree 100% with one addition. Many mature adults (read that 50+) are just as addicted to social media as the young people.

Another story and it relates to building though maybe not models. For the last couple of summers and for at least one more season to go, I have been rebuilding / remodeling and adding on to a family cabin in northern MN. The main part of the cabin was built in 1924 and added onto in 1956. Well back in the woods all previous work was done by hand powered tools as there was no nearby electricity. Though I have modern conveniences and tools today I'm trying to maintain the integrity and spirit of the old construction by using the same types of materials, construction methods, appearances, etc. In short, it remains a cabin and is not a house. These days I've acquired a nearby neighbor, he's in his 50's and is quite well off financially. Overall, he and his family are very nice people. In no way, shape or form can he even start to understand why I would put all that work into an old cabin! In his mind it is just a tear down property then you call a contractor to build a new one. In contrast, I want to preserve the memories and spirit of my pioneering relatives who built the place by their own hands. All of that would be gone if the structure went away.

This represents much of why building model airplanes is so out of favor among some people today. Many people just don't understand that creating something with your own hands imparts a sort of spirit and sole in the finished product that you just don't get otherwise. This is something you just can't buy! Yes I own ARFs but I still build some too though it is considerably more expensive to build something than to buy a similar ARF. I have several older planes I just keep around for their memories. Some are over 40 years old but they are treasures to me because I built them. No ARF will ever create that feeling of accomplishment that one gets from creating something from a pile of wood or parts. In the past most of the manufacturers in our hobby were also modelers who imparted a bit of that same spirit in their products. When we bought an engine, radio or whatever, it came with that pride and spirit that another modeler imparted into it. Many of us knew those people and considered them friends. Even if we didn't know them we often knew their story. When I buy an ARF, radio or engine today I get none of that as I don't know anyone in China.

Until people once again start to appreciate hand crafting and independence and that not all things in life are "social" I doubt we'll see much grown of our hobby. Building isn't a very social activity. Some of my grandkids can't understand what a workshop is. I've even been asked what tools are for and this was from teenagers! I just hope we can maintain what we still have! Sorry for carrying on ...... just too many things make me wonder where we as a society are headed.

DING DING DING We have a winner!!! Your hammer struck true! This is exactly the cause of the downfall. Throw away society! When I look at an old ornate building, with hand carve trim, sculpted plaster ceilings, carved stone fascia, I think back, that was all done by hand, and very few people now have that skill. I built furniture back in the 90's, wanted to make a business of it, but the work is not appreciated enough to be able to sell at a profit, let alone break even. I built an 8 foot tall Armoire out of Walnut, with hand carved ball and claw legs, raised panels on sides back doors, and dove tailed drawers using exotic woods, inset drawer pulls, carved goose neck trims, and turned spires. It took me nearly a year to build, and I should have been able to sell it at $8K, and was lucky to get $6K out of it.

True also on the old farts on SM, but at least with this SM of this Forum, we come here to learn, chat, etc. and give each other crap about things, but in a good manner. I hate facebarf, but makes a good place to stage pics to share.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:19 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 267 Likes on 234 Posts

I guess you could say we'll quit building when the pry the Xacto knife from our cold dead fingers and nail the box shut. And they better put some extra nails in to keep us from coming back to the workbench!
Old 03-05-2019, 01:24 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

One thing I still enjoy about the various internet forums compared to FB and other social media is the general attitude difference. Here, we can express different ideas and methods to achieve a goal or end product. I think most of us understand that there are often different ways to achieve the same end and we learn from different opinions. On social media such as FB, if you don't express the currently accepted opinion of the moment about a subject, you can face ridicule or worse. People today don't seem to understand that it is OK to express different ideas and opinions. Certain groups tell you it is OK and even encouraged but then condemn you for expressing a viewpoint that is contrary to theirs. So its good to express any idea as long as its their idea. Such is the way that dumbing down of our society goes.

I use to enjoy the various model shows where you could go and talk to the builders of the models on display. You could learn so much how they did things and whether their methods fit in with your methods. The same for going to pylon and pattern contests in years past. So much to be learned! Some of this still exists in the forums though even here, posts are getting fewer and fewer all the time.

What am I working on this winter? Mostly (2) bathroom updates at home but model projects include getting an old Andrews Sportmaster, Bridi T-6 and Bruce Tharp Venture ready to fly again after sitting a few years. Several gas planes need checking over but they don't require much maintenance. I watch Ebay and the various forum classifieds regularly for old desirable kits but dang, they are getting harder to find and the really desirable ones are EXPENSIVE! Even desirable glo engines are starting to bring more $$ than they did a few years back. Somebody out there is building or at least, collecting.

Last edited by Truckracer; 03-05-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:48 PM
acdii

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I guess you could say we'll quit building when the pry the Xacto knife from our cold dead fingers and nail the box shut. And they better put some extra nails in to keep us from coming back to the workbench!
Prop me up beside the workbench when I die. Lord I want to go to heaven, but not until I fly, fill my workshoes up with sand, put some balsa in my hand, prop me up beside the workbench when I die!

I have a few kits, one from National Balsa for a P-61 and one I have been searching for, a Liberty Sport from SIG. My problem is I lost my enthusiasm for building lately, with how the AMA screwed up and how the government is stepping all over our hobby making us criminals if we don't follow along, it took away my want to fly. That and members at my club have passed, and no new members have joined. Last time I was out, there were 2 guys who show, and half the time, no one is out. I used to fly at my friends house, but his flying field got cut in half by the local gravel company, so now he doesn't fly anymore either. He doesn't support AMA (don't blame him) since he flew at his house and didn't need it, so he won't fly where I fly, and we used to have a blast chasing each other around the sky. I still make fun of the time he flew his Cub through a tree. He rebuilt it, but never flew it.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:17 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I still enjoy building very much but don't as much as I once did. Mostly because I moved and retired (events not related) a few years back and no longer have access to a full mechanical shop or a place where I can paint easily. When I paint now I use a pop up paint booth set up in the back yard. Not overly convenient so just the effort limits what and when I can paint. Lack of a mechanical shop limits my engine and metal fabrication to what I can do with simple tools. It sucks when you have the ability but not the facilities to do things. As long as I have a toaster oven, freezer and small press I can still do most engine work though!

My main limitation on my building is simply the cost! Just collecting all the parts, pieces and materials for a build project costs a fortune these days. ARF alternatives are very attractive alternative in many cases when only cost is considered. I've had build projects where just the cost of paint, covering and other finish materials cost as much as a similar ARF.

I fly mostly at a friends field but civilization is getting closer so I see the old handwriting on the wall .... that site's time is limited. I hope progress holds off enough years that I will no longer care or I reach room temperature. Overall I have a good attitude about the hobby and try not to worry about the things I have no power to change.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:44 PM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello dirtdart,
Whew . . . sure took quite a while to read all of today's post on this forum. All I can contribute is we all are the forerunners of our society we see today. Kind of mirrors ACDC's comments.

Been seeing so much of the 3D printing stuff it boggles the mind (my mind anyway . . . LOL). Been wanting a replica of the antique Mercedes Dlll airplane engine to use with a BUSA Taube 90 kit. And the 3D "stuff" seems to be IT. This non-tekky old school guy did some internet looking and did get boggled for sure. Even bought a 1\48 scale plastic kit on line.

Is this something you might become interested in tinkering with ? ? ? BUSA has the 1\3 scale top portion kit, but their Taube 90 kit, looks to be about 1\7 scale in size.

Mike Brennan
T-man49 in Al
Old 03-06-2019, 02:01 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Truck, I need to get you building some scale electrics, then you can do nice paint jobs with a sponge and water based paints. Also there are some real good ways to save cash on covering ... we get you to swing over to the dark side (WW1 1/4 scales !!!)
Do you realize between 1/4 and 1/3 scale planes there are over 20 WW1 planes in the club?
I know of several still un-flown due to recent completion..
Old 03-06-2019, 03:15 PM
dreddbatfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a Top-Flite Gold Edition F4U Corsair that I just recently crashed and most of the plane survived but the wing,it was destroyed.Top-Flite is no more and Horizon Hobby(who bought Top-Flite)only has the wing kit for the giant scale version.I've got some of the parts to rebuild the wing but I need the pre-cut balsa and wood pieces laser cut,I tried to contact some laser cutting companies but nobody replied to me.I've got the instruction manual and a copy of the wing plans for laser cutting to be put on CAD files.I found the exact kit on ebay that's never been built but I can't afford it(I couldn't barely afford it the first time)they want $350 plus $16 shipping.I'm in a wheelchair from Rhuematoid Arthritis and on a fixed income from social security and by the time I pay my rent,get food,pay bills and get my medications there's not a lot leftover for me.I tried some of the links on this website but a lot of the kit cutters are no longer in business.I'm hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction so I can get the parts cut and start the wing rebuild.Thanks for anyone who can help me,I really appreciate it.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:27 PM
71iknowaguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have a bunch of kits trying to unload

i have a bunch of kits trying to unload as I am pretty much out of the hobby!!!
Old 03-06-2019, 11:15 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 71iknowaguy
i have a bunch of kits trying to unload as I am pretty much out of the hobby!!!
Have you listed them in the sales forum with prices? You might find that they go quickly, depending on what they are. Heck, I might even want one or two
Old 03-07-2019, 08:09 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by dreddbatfan
I've got a Top-Flite Gold Edition F4U Corsair that I just recently crashed and most of the plane survived but the wing,it was destroyed.Top-Flite is no more and Horizon Hobby(who bought Top-Flite)only has the wing kit for the giant scale version.I've got some of the parts to rebuild the wing but I need the pre-cut balsa and wood pieces laser cut,I tried to contact some laser cutting companies but nobody replied to me.I've got the instruction manual and a copy of the wing plans for laser cutting to be put on CAD files.I found the exact kit on ebay that's never been built but I can't afford it(I couldn't barely afford it the first time)they want $350 plus $16 shipping.I'm in a wheelchair from Rhuematoid Arthritis and on a fixed income from social security and by the time I pay my rent,get food,pay bills and get my medications there's not a lot leftover for me.I tried some of the links on this website but a lot of the kit cutters are no longer in business.I'm hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction so I can get the parts cut and start the wing rebuild.Thanks for anyone who can help me,I really appreciate it.
PM sent.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:25 AM
jayyak

Default Kits

We have a good one up in canada here eh. Lol . Greathobbies.com .Cheers
Old 04-12-2019, 09:56 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts

The Baron 1914 trainer still sells well in France. There's even a competition for them every year, La Coupe Des Barons or The Barons' Cup. Your humble servant stands to the right of the picture with his competition number "247" prominently displayed on the port wing. Two twin fourteen year-old girls kneel behind their white models to my right. The overall winner stands extreme right. Go to this link and scroll down to "Video Coupe 2018" to see what went on last year.: https://saffiotipatrick.wixsite.com/vl38/les-barons

Old 04-12-2019, 05:53 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

That's a really nice event, Telemaster, thanks for posting. The closest thing to the Baron 1914 here in colonies besides the Das Ugly Stik would be the smaller 46" span Hobby Shack The Real Thing. Never did myself but heard during its hay day that some clubs had sport fun events with TRT. What you have going on in France is the true spirit of aeromodelling, IMHO.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:10 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Yes and no GG. At our club's flying field the ARTFs are always in the majority. Having said that, I have shamed six of my of my clubmates, five Frenchmen and a Dutchman who lived in Belgium for most of his life, into entering this year's Coupe in September, thus we will make up nearly 9% of the entry. Several new Baron's are being built and some old ones are being prepared. I'll let you know how we get on.

This year the organisers have made two changes to the rules. The size of eligible fourstroke models has been increased from a 40 to a 52. I love my fourstrokes and will be campaigning a 52 in mine. The grey model in the Russian WW1 colours featured above, has been re-engined with a Magnum 52 and test flown. It has required considerable weight in the rear to compensate for the heavier engine, the Baron being originally designed for a 15-19 size engine. I am building a second Baron to be fitted with an OS52.I have shortened the nose on the second model and intend to fit the servos in the rear fuselage. You are not allowed to use a spare model to La Coupe but if I plant one while practicising I've got another one to use!

The second rule change concerns the waiting list.Last year eighty pilots subscribed and a further five were accepted on a waiting list in case any of the eighty dropped out. For the event sixty-eight turned up. This year the size of the waiting list has been increased to ten so we should get a bigger field in September. My clubmates and I are all on the main list this year.

PS. On 19th May we have invited local clubs to join us for a fly-in complete with four-course French barbeque. We will be staging a "Mini Coupe" for Baron pilots.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 04-12-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:37 AM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jayyak
We have a good one up in canada here eh. Lol . Greathobbies.com .Cheers
Bought a few in the past from them. Miss the Unionville kits they used to sell. Another great kit company gone!
Old 08-10-2020, 05:04 PM
rcpartsforless

Default I have found the kits!

RC Parts for Less has the kits. We do not have thousands of kits sitting on shelves waiting for so done to buy them. Our kits are made to order! If you have p,and and you want a kit made from them, contact us and we will make the kit for you. Don't have plans? No problem, we will find them and then cut a kit for you. We can scale up or down what ever you would like. Our turn arou d time to produce a kit is typically one to two weeks, depending on the ri e of the year.
give us a try.
we can be you d at www.rcpartsforless.com or you can email Scott at [email protected]

give us a tey!

QUOTE=RACE 66;8132568] This is for general discussion. I've got a few years of modeling under my belt, and I recall when ARF's were the rarity, example: Lanair's models, Jesters, etc. and kits abound of the balsa type. Now, because of "change" the opposite is true. Less kits verse's many ARF'S, ARC'S etc. availible.

Now my point of the discussion, It's hard to find a relative complete source for kits. You have to hunt and pick for viewing. My question, has someone assembled a resource of kits, kit cutters etc on the web where you can go to one resource or several, rather spending allot of time "surfing"- "window shopping" ? Yes I know I am asking for the "golden ring", but I gotta ask. Thanks for any suggestions.[/QUOTE]
I have found the kits
Old 03-06-2021, 07:54 PM
Rumva

Default lots os sites.. but am looking for a b-25 mitchell

been searching for one for w hile now an only for a 107in short kit. was loloing arout a 55 in full... has anyone seen one anymore... or they just stipped this particular aircraft?
Old 03-06-2021, 10:43 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Hello everybody.

Thanks for reviving this thread JimO.

I said that I'd let you know how our club got on in the 2019 Coupe Des Barons then forgot all about it. Jean-Luc and Gerard crashed in the first round and were out of the competition.. My engine cut in both the first and the final rounds. This was entirely my own fault. I was trying to screw the last ounce of power out of my OS 48 Surpass. I damaged the wing attachment point in the last forced landing and Roger and Francois both crashed in the limbo. Our youngest member, Ludovic took his model home undamaged but he was too chicken to risk his beautiful grey and red model in the limbo having seen what happened to contestants in previous rounds! Video of the event here: https://saffiotipatrick.wixsite.com/vl38/les-barons Pictures of our club entry below. I built both the model in RAF markings and the one in the black, yellow and red Belgian markings. The 2020 Coupe was cancelled due to Covid 19. This year's event is scheduled for 12th June and will be organised by the Jonnage Club whose flying field is near Lyon Airport. I expect that it will be flatter less picturesque country than Ste Marie d'Alloix but at least it will be seventy miles (112 kms) closer to my home.We are taking a team of seven down this year.

I'll give a shout-out to three British kit manufacturers, Ben Buckle Models, Pegasus Models and DB Sport & Scale.

Ben Buckle Kits is run by the son of the founder of the business, Colin Buckle.https://www.benbucklevintage.com/ It specialises in vintage/old timer kits. On 12th January 2019 I met a lady of my own age, Patricia "Trish" Martin aka "Miss Blue Eyes", in the English Library in Dun Le Palestel and two lives have changed for ever. She once asked me, "If I were a model aeroplane what would I be?" I said," A Super 60. A fine looking British classic." So I ordered one from Colin Buckle and we built it together. Pictures below.

The wind has been calm in central France recently so I've been flying my double sized Tomboy a lot. Our club has gained a new member, a Belgian called Frans. I've been flying the Tomboy with him on the buddy box. He finds it easier to fly than the four-channel ARTF trainers so he's ordered a Junior 60 from Colin Buckle. It should arrive next week I learned to fly on a Junior 60 so I'm sure Frans will manage. He has never built a model before but I've said that I'll help him. Pictures of my old Junior 60 below and what it looked like after I'd given it to another of my trainees. We lost radio contact on its first flight and it free flighted into a wheat field then it went through the front of a combine harvester. We'll build another.

Having said all of that the Junior 60 was not our first choice, I would have preferred a Radio Queen, the first model aeroplane to cross the English Channel, but Colin Buckle has been very ill recently and the Junior 60 was one of the only models he had in stock. I believe he's taking some time off from business committments while he recuperates but an email to him will certainly get a response. I believe that there is an American agent for Ben Buckle kits but I don't know who it is.

The second company is Pegasus Models of Norwich. They are famous for importing American kits but they also make a range of their own sports models, the Galaxy Models range. I wanted something a bit more lively than the vintage models and trainers I have been building just lately so ordered one of their Mystic kits to suit my 155 Laser. https://www.pegasusmodels.co.uk/prod...8#.YERuWJvTXcs It's an impressive kit for the money. When I ordered it their were four in stock, now there are none. I must have started a trend! Doubtless they will make another batch if there are more enquiries. Picture of someone else's Mystic below. I may copy the colour scheme.

The third company is DB Sport & Scale. https://www.dbsportandscale.com/db-a...kits-595-c.asp They offer everything from a 1/5 scale Hawker Hurrricane to small sports models. The company has been hit by a double wammy of an increase in balsa wood prices and export complications caused by the Brexit but be patient, their kits will become available again. I was lucky enough to get a Skyrider short-kit in 2020. It's to be Miss Blue Eyes' next build.

American modellers will have to pay postage and any local taxes on top of the prices shown of course but you will not have to pay British Value Added Tax.

Happy landings gentlemen!

Team Berry Marche Modelisme (B2M) La Coupe Des Barons 2019.

Team B2M.

Miss Blue Eyes reluctantly poses with her Super 60.

Nearly finished.

Miss Blue Eyes gets on with it.

Galaxy Models Mystic.

My old Junior 60. The model I iearned to fly with.

The Junior 60 in flight...

...and after an argument with a combine harvester!

Double Sized Vic Smeed Tomboy.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:31 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Telemaster - Nice hearing what you've been up to.
The following users liked this post:
Telemaster Sales UK (03-08-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 10:31 AM
acdii

If anyone is interested in short kits, send me a message, or check my FB page RC short kits and plans. I currently have two kits ready, Top Flight Giant P-47, and the 60 Corsair, and working to clean up the Giant Corsair at the moment. I have a Bear Cat in the works as well as the P-51 in both sizes. I also have the Goldberg Ultimate Bipe 10-300 in the pipeline. I can also scan and print plans, can up to 36" and print up t 44" which makes it MUCH easier for me to translate the parts into what the laser needs. I'm also curious what other planes would make for a good seller besides warbirds. It is a lot of work to put them into the computer so one off models would be at the back of the queue.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:23 PM
FlyerInOKC

If you ever start doing the TF Gold Edition ME-109 I can direct you toward a willing customer.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:20 AM
acdii

I can find no information on that one. Only thing I found is an ARF for the FW 190.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:30 AM
FlyerInOKC

Its been gone a long time.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:46 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

FW 190s are said to fly well in model form.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.