Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Unionville Beaver 8' Kit tips

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Unionville Beaver 8' Kit tips

Old 01-08-2009, 12:58 AM
zbmw25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unionville Beaver 8' Kit tips

Hello all,

I am pretty new to the kit building scene but have my eyes set on the Unionville 8' Beaver radial kit. My brother and I have been working on a SIG Extra .40 kit and have been progressing fairly well. I have read on here that the Unionville Beaver kit is a little more challenging (vague instructions and so on) but I was hoping to get some input from anyone who has built it before.

I have a few questions:

Is the kit die cut or laser cut?

Is the wing fully sheeted? Any foam involved, or is it all balsa?

Is the estimated weight of 9 ILBs fairly accurate?

Are there any major hangups in the build process that one should be aware of?

And is this thing as much fun to fly as it is to look at...

Also what was your covering choice, and any ideas for a cool color scheme?

Thanks for your help, post your pics if you have any.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:17 AM
Ram Jet

Default RE: Unionville Beaver 8' Kit tips

Color schemes abound. Do an internet search for DeHavilland Beaver. I have some I could download for you but it may be a bore.

Bill
Old 01-08-2009, 02:35 PM
yojoelay

zbmw25,

Have a look in the Seaplanes section of RCU. Do a search for 'Show us your Beaver' for some good pictures.

I built the Unionville Tiger Moth about a few years ago and the Beaver would be similar. Unionville kites are builders' kits - more challenging than the SIG kit but not out of this world. I hadn't built a kit for 20 years and managed to get through without any major errors - it flew quite well until a mid-air with a 150cc IMAC plane turned it into balsa snow. It was a very rugged plane, there were plenty of tough landings that would have torn the landing gear off of an ARF but it always stayed together.

Unionville kits are also quite proudly Canadian - how good is your Terrance and Phillip (South Park) impersonation?

Good luck,

Joel
Old 01-08-2009, 03:20 PM
zbmw25

Yojoe,

Sorry to hear about your accident. I think we will be OK with the build, I mean I think we both have a fair understanding of how most of these things are put together, plus I have quite a bit of woodworking experience, not that building furniture prepares you to build airplanes, but I am fairly handy with a saw and bottle of wood glue. I am really interested in hearing about the particulars of this build, and if anyone has pics of a Unionville Beaver build in process that would be great.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:37 PM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

I have built two of the 6 foot versions and Unionville Kit is definitely a builders kit. Nothing that if you have a couple of kits built, you can't handle. The kit is all balsa and is die cut. Most however is stick built. The wings are not fully sheeted though you could if you want. I have installed the optional flaps and while really not needed, sure is a lot of fun to land slow fly with the flaps down and land really SHORT.

I have not flown off floats, yet, but have seen one fly off a lake and really impressive. Thinking of skis, if we get any appreciable snow here in NJ.

Only problem I had was some of the sheeting was really brittle. Had to purchase some replacement balsa locally.

JimO
Old 01-08-2009, 09:24 PM
ISGUNN

I'm just about to start one and one thing I'll be changing is the wing mount system.Order in a set of SIG wing joiner blades so you will have strength as the wing struts,as designed,are functional.This way it also makes it easier to put together at the field and if a strut should fall off,you will save the plane.Also,I'll be sheeting the wings and fuselage as well as mounting the servos in the wing panels.
Ian Gunn
MAAC 25307
Old 01-09-2009, 04:03 PM
fredsedno

Visit-DHC-2.com. Literally a 1000 different color schemes.

Fredsedno
Old 01-11-2009, 12:08 PM
zbmw25

Thank you all for your replies. I still have a couple of questions. Has anyone here fiberglassed one of these birds? Think that would add too much weight? Also, has anyone here ever had any dealings with hobbieville.com, and if so what was your experience? Thanks again.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:45 PM
tigermeet

I sheeted and glassed my Beaver, weighs around 12 1/2# , It has an OS 90 FS and I fly it around at 1/4 throttle. It's a great kit and you shouldn't have any trouble building it, I built mine with- flaps and also installed the aileron and flap servos in the wing. I like it so much that I am getting the 6ft Beaver to build next. The only thing I don't care for is the way the wing struts are basically built into the fuslage.
That I will change on the next build so they are removable from the fuselage
Old 01-11-2009, 11:47 PM
zbmw25

Sounds good, share some pictures if you have any.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:51 AM
JimO

This is my 6 foot version. Aileron servos in wing, used strip aileron linkage for flaps. Used Magnum 52 FS with flex extension for exhaust.

JimO
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12817.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1109167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12119.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	1109168  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:11 PM
zbmw25

Good looking bird...err beaver you got there. Has anyone here ever had any dealings with hobbieville.com?

Keep sending the pics!
Old 01-13-2009, 04:37 PM
zbmw25

Just ordered the beaver today, ordered from great hobbies. Total came to $195 USD shipping and all. Will post some pics when it arrives.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:04 PM
khelsea

I built one last year. The show us your beaver thread is great info. I put wing tube, removable landing gear, pull pull rudder, corrigationsin the movable surfaces,drooped wing tips and aluminum airfoil for the struts,solartex with nitrate and Brodak for color. By far my most enjoyable build and a nobrainer flyer. Full flap landings are a blast. I did go with custom landing gear from TNT as the wire just wouldn't hold up. It is a bush plane after all. You'll have some questions as the manuel is alittle ?? but remember it's really a scratchbuild so just build it, wings on top wheels on the bottom. Any questions please feel free to PM me. This years build Pitts M12 26% w/50cc gasser. More fun. Lanny Khelsea
Old 01-14-2009, 03:08 PM
perpetualrepair

Hoping to get my kit from Great Hobbies this week, looking forward to the build, could the posters who have done this build post more details on the improvements they made, I want this to be a "Special" build. PR
Old 01-22-2009, 03:56 PM
perpetualrepair

Received my 8' unionville Beaver here today, opened the box and checked the contents, wing ribs are very well produced no crushing at all,
wing tips are plastic or similar material, cowl is strong and well finished, and all the Balsa is of good quality.
After making copies of the plans, I like to have a set filed , a set for working on, a set for hanging on the wall as a reference and a set to cut if needed, cost $20 to copy, great security measure,
After reading the instructions through, and setting up the wing plan on the table (8x4') covered with saran wrap, I started the build,
I realize now that the instructions are vague, and that is being generous, this is a real builders kit, but with patience and a lot of reading and re-reading I am sure it will come together, though I must admit to being a little terrified by the project.
I will post some photos as i go (hopefully)
Old 01-22-2009, 05:05 PM
JimO

Perp, You are correct this is a builders kit. My suggestion to you is plan ahead and look at the next steps before you glue. The build is really straight forward and the rewards are great when you are done. There is a lot of measuring and cutting, take your time, measure twice and cut once.

JimO
Old 01-22-2009, 05:17 PM
khelsea

I'll echo Jim O read and reread the plans and the instructions, they are alittle vague but it keeps you thinking. I couldn't use those plastic jug wing tips so carved my own in a droop tip. Wing tubes are easy if you plan them ahead and really strengthened up the cabin area. You "could" fly it without struts but they add to the look. Removable gear is easy just plan ahead. Don't forget to put in servo arm supports in the ailerons and flaps before you close them, they don't mention or give you stock for that. Don't ask how I know that. Other than that have fun, you will. Lanny Khelsea
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43168.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1116933