Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Magnets v.s. Glass

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Magnets v.s. Glass

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 06:09 PM
p51 fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnets v.s. Glass

I have just finished my new building table and reorganized my spot in the basement. I have looked at different ways to build and I have decided that I want to go with either magnets or a glass type building set-up. But which is better?

I like the idea of the magnets but the fixtures would take some time to make. Glass looks like it would take less time to set-up, but removing your work from the galss could be a pain.

I am only building 40-60 size plans at this point.

I would like to hear from the people that are currently using one or both of these options. Which do you prefer and why? I hope you can help me hake an informed decision and provide other forum users with some reference material.

Thanks in advance...

I will try to post some pictures of my new table when I get a chance.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:32 PM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Magnets v.s. Glass

I made a magnetic building board a few years ago. Prior to that I was using pins in Forbo(composite cork-like material). The magnet system is the best move I've made. Making the fixture does take some time, but you more than make up for it when you start to build. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:27 PM
KitBuilder

Can you post some pics sometime if you have a chance on the magnetic fixtures? Did you just make the fixtures as copies of what's offered in the purchased sytems so you didin't have to reinvent the wheel?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:42 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I build with a magnetic system and there is no way I'd ever use anything else. If you look at my LT-40 build thread you can see the system in use. [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3439708/tm.htm[/link]

I built my system using [link=http:www.airfieldmodels.com]www.airfieldmodels.com[/link] as a guide. I build all of my fixtures off of his plans.

Ken
Old 01-18-2009, 05:05 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Glasstable! That way you can Ca glue the fuselage formers or whatever and just pray it away with a chisel when you have finished.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:42 AM
ppkk

I use a 1/2" thick glass table with a galvanized sheet metal on top of it. This way the table is as flat as it can get, and I can use a magnetic system to build on top of it.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:09 PM
p51 fan

RCKEN: I have previously read your "Build It Forward Thread". This is what really got me interested in building with magnets. Thank you for putting the time into recording your build it has been a great resource for me and others.

As for the flatness of glass I am using a solid 1.5 inch milled oak centre island top that I got from IKEA http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/40091673. This thing is dead true and heavy as you know what. I have built a 2x6 frame for it and covered the top with 4 coats of clear poly.

Dave Platt offers a video series called "Scale Modeling Black Art". I do not have the video's but I have been told the he uses only a glass table and CA to build his models and he does it in record breaking time.

I am still not sure what I am going to go with. It doesn't seem like many people have used both systems so it is hard to get an accurate comparison. Perhaps ordering a couple of these video's from Dave platt will make it more clear.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:30 PM
MasterAlex

I'll chime in with an opinion. I have 2 benches in my shop - one has a removable glass top (probably 24"x48") which I use for all my covering activities (cutting, measuring, etc). I really like it because it is the perfect surface to cut *cote on. Also, I just built a magnetic bench top for my second bench. Although I have yet to build an airframe on it, I'd suggest you can ease your way into the fixtures. I have made about 20 of various sizes and while it is time consuming, you can also use the individual magnets as fixtures themselves. Also, you might also look into getting some angle bar stock at the hardware store. You can use this for 90-degree fixtures too. This will allow you to get into the magnetic building without a major investment in building fixtures.

Best of luck!

-MA
Old 01-19-2009, 10:17 PM
yel914

I finally got around to taking pics of the magnetic hold downs that I made. Hold downs are 1/4" Baltic Birch x 5" high X 2.5" wide. The hold down arm is easily movable to any of the three recesses. I could gang up more magnets on the base for more holding power, but I have found it unnecessary thus far. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84325.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1114935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75665.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1114936