Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

if BTE Venture 60 was sold once again...would you buy it??

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
yes
77.60%
no
5.60%
maybe
16.80%
not really
0%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

if BTE Venture 60 was sold once again...would you buy it??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:06 PM
mxaexm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default if BTE Venture 60 was sold once again...would you buy it??

I'm just curious if the BTE Venture 60 was kitted once again, who would get into line to get this fantastic airplane?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52745.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1189182  
Old 04-29-2009, 08:42 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: if BTE Venture 60 was sold once again...would you buy it??

AH ha, I see somebody is trying the same tactic that I did to get the Ultra Sport kit back into production. A small piece of advice if you don't mind. You need to create a thread where you have everybody HONESTLY commit to how many they would buy if it was brought back. This is the number that Bruce is going to listen to. He's not going to bring a kit back if he doesn't see a number high enough to justify re-kitting it. That is what it took with Great Planes and the Ultra Sport. They saw the numbers that were committed to and the re-released the kit. In actuality the number was low, because the first run of kits sold out in 6 months and they had to do a second production run on the kits.

Now with that said, I would buy 1 kit of the Venture if he released it again.

Ken
Old 04-29-2009, 09:07 PM
mxaexm

RCKen,

thank you for your advice...I would love to see this kit back in production!
Old 04-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One for me too. Any kit put back into production is a good thing.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:40 PM
andrew66

I would rather see a 120 size kit. I am wanting to go all gas soon, so I wont really have any need for a 60, unless the G20 will fit.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:46 PM
chashint

Well this was one of those kits that was on the someday list when it was discontinued.
I would have to think about it, I have a Super Sportster 60 kit and an Astro Hog kit in the closet just in case my flying Sportster or Hog meets the expiration date, the Venture 60 might still be one of those someday kits even though I am much more likely to buy and stash a kit for the future these days.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:47 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely would buy another. It is one of my best airplanes and I only have the one. As the old saying goes, "Every airplane has an expiration date. We just don't know what it is." I would love to buy another one. Bruce has a lot on his plate, but hopefully sometime. My plane has a lot of flights. The last year has been using a Saito 125. What a performer. However, I know that the overpowered engine will eventually take its toll on the airframe.

Name:	Ge96496.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1189551  
Old 04-30-2009, 11:52 AM
airbusdrvr

[email protected] is Bruce's e-mail address. Send him a nice message expressing your interest.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:14 AM
jtsails
My Feedback: (2)

I would buy two if the price was reasonable. I gave my four star to a young man recently and would like to keep a plane or two around in case I run into another deserving young person.
James
Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 AM
GAP-RCU

Well... the price of the kit, with the optional wheel pants + shipping, was $151.37 eight years ago this past March.

I hope no one is under any illusion here as to what the price will be if Bruce should release it again.

Edit: I'll add, that I felt the price I paid was perfectly in line with the kit and service I received. I just don't want anyone to expect a Chinese type price or something.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had to vote a NO on this one. There are other kits/planes of this type out there now that you can buy and the price for a small kit like this is just a bit over the top for my pockets. When Ken was trying to get the US back into production that was a big YES for me, there aren't a lot of the old pattern style of planes offered today and the US is one of the better stunt plane designs. Sorry but this one just doesn't ring my chimes.[&o]
Old 05-01-2009, 02:30 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

For those who have not had the privilege to build from one of Bruce Tharpes kits, you don't understand the quality and time he puts into each and everyone of his kits. They are 10 times better then the typical Chinese kits that we seen coming from the big vendors. The wood is absolutely perfect and parts manufactured the old fashion way. Machine kit and hand sanded to a perfect fit. A great deal of manual labor is invested in each one of his kits and he stands behind each and everyone of them. He's a one man show which explains the delays in production runs. He's stated over the years that he really wouldn't want it any other way as it keeps the work consistent and the quality is at the level he would be comfortable shipping to his customers.

I've built 3 different kits from him and now find it very difficult to go back the the larger kit manufactures. Mainly because of quality being as poor as it is coming from them.

Put me down for a Venture...

Cheers,
Old 05-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not buy one, since that is now where my interest lies, but I surely would reccomend it to those who are just starting to build. I built a couple of them years ago, and they have to be the best building sport model ever.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 05-01-2009, 02:45 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I pledge to buy a single Venture .60 kit if/when it becomes available again.

In all fairness to Bruce, however, I thought he discontinued the Venture temporarily because it was too popular and meeting demand for the kits was interfering with other projects. I thought he was building Flying Kings/Super Flying Kings as part of a military contract or something.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:01 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

I'm sure it's an excellent plane and the quality is great, but the price is high by about 30-40 dollars. I jumped on a BUSA smoothie when it was re-relaeased, and they charged only 80 bucks. Now that's a deal in my mind.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree, I built one in the mid 90s and powered it with a Saito .72, it was a great combination. My Sig FourStar 60 kit is very heavy by comnparison. I have FlyinKing about 75% done.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:20 PM
airbusdrvr

ORIGINAL: tschuy

For those who have not had the privilege to build from one of Bruce Tharpes kits, you don't understand the quality and time he puts into each and everyone of his kits. They are 10 times better then the typical Chinese kits that we seen coming from the big vendors. The wood is absolutely perfect and parts manufactured the old fashion way. Machine kit and hand sanded to a perfect fit. A great deal of manual labor is invested in each one of his kits and he stands behind each and everyone of them. He's a one man show which explains the delays in production runs. He's stated over the years that he really wouldn't want it any other way as it keeps the work consistent and the quality is at the level he would be comfortable shipping to his customers.

I've built 3 different kits from him and now find it very difficult to go back the the larger kit manufactures. Mainly because of quality being as poor as it is coming from them.

Put me down for a Venture...

Cheers,
I've built four of his kits. 1)Delta Vortex, 2)Venture, 3)Flyin' King, 4)SIG Wonder. All are great kits. The quality is superb.

I wish there was some way to put a piston engine on his Reaction 54. I cannot fly "jet" powered planes at my club. But a large glow four-stroke or smaller gas motor would be great with that plane.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:39 PM
BruceTharpe
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, this is a pretty interesting thread! Thanks for all the compliments from past builders. It's truly appreciated.

Here's the skinny on the V60... I discontinued it for several reasons: 1) It's the most labor intensive to produce of all my kit designs, 2) I ran out of some items that are bought in bulk for volume pricing, like the kit boxes, and 3) I really wanted to free up some time to work on new designs (which is yet to happen). The UAV work was not one of the reasons. I've taken on some UAV building projects over the last three years that have cut into all the kit production at BTE. In fact, I'm finishing one up now and plan to get right back on a run of Reaction 54 jet kits that was put on the back burner.

So anyway, back to the V60. It just won't die! Requests come in all the time, and threads like this continue to spark interest. I've told people all along that there is a good chance that there will be another V60 kit run, but no promises and no timetables. I am keeping an email list of folks interested in the kit, and will notify everybody on the list if and when something happens with the V60. Feel free to send me a quick email and ask to be on the V60 notification list if you wish. My email is [email protected]
Old 05-03-2009, 11:06 AM
skyraider71

I'd love to build a Venture. I have .60 in need of a home, and always heard they fly great.
I wish I had room for a Flyin' King.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:50 AM
airbusdrvr

OK, Guys!! Sign up. I did. I would probably take a couple of the kits.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:45 PM
CellTech

Sent Bruce an email commiting to buying a Venture 60 if re kitted. May even buy two if the price is reasonable. I've heard the model is one of the best 60 size designs as a sport flyer. Not a bad looking model either. Kind of reminds me of a slicked out Four Star
Old 05-19-2009, 01:30 PM
rickiecronin

Best kit6 I have ever built... would buy another
Old 05-19-2009, 07:45 PM
airbusdrvr

I can't believe I was able to get a Venture 60. Check out 230342793587 on that auction site we can't mention. I just hope it makes it from CA toFL undamaged. WOW!

Old 05-28-2009, 04:55 PM
airbusdrvr

It was Christmas in May. The Venture 60 kit made it from CA to FL in great shape. Here is a post I made about its possible build, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...tm.htm#8806853.

Name:	Zx70222.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1207850  
Old 05-29-2009, 09:06 AM
Connery

ORIGINAL: CellTech

Sent Bruce an email commiting to buying a Venture 60 if re kitted. May even buy two if the price is reasonable. I've heard the model is one of the best 60 size designs as a sport flyer. Not a bad looking model either. Kind of reminds me of a slicked out Four Star
The Venture 60 IS a slicked out 4*60. IIRC, Bruce designed the 4* series, and when he left Sig, he designed the Venture to be what the 4* series should have been. I would definitely buy a Venture kit if he decided to re-kit them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.