Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

X-Acto vs Hobbico Blades.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

X-Acto vs Hobbico Blades.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 06:05 PM
J.Paul Saure

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Acto vs Hobbico Blades.

Just finished a package of 100Hobbico #11 blades. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXL447&P=ML
I noticed this X-Acto packages:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDUC0&P=SM
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKY51&P=ML

Double the price.... ....but are they double the better? The hobbico's go like water while doing a monokote job!

Thanks for the input.

Saludos,
Jean Paul
Old 07-22-2009, 06:11 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: X-Acto vs Hobbico Blades.

I buy 100 packs at a local hardware store. Not sure what brand, I think it may have the store's name on them. Unless the cheaper blades are clearly not that good, I would not buy the expensive ones. In my experience, Monokote dulls any blade very quickly and there is no use spending more than necessary.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:23 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Ditto,

Something about Monokote really tears up the blades. I'll go through a dozen of them on one airplane.

Cheers,
Old 07-22-2009, 06:54 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

IMHO all those brands of blades are pretty much the same. I wouldn't be suprised if they are all made in the same factory. But Monokote dull ALL blades quickly, regardless of the brand name.

Ken
Old 07-22-2009, 07:02 PM
J.Paul Saure

ORIGINAL: RCKen

I wouldn't be suprised if they are all made in the same factory.

Ken
I wouldn't be either!!!

Does anyone know why monokote dulls blades so quickly???
I feel that cutting hard-ply doesn't make them that bad!!!

Thanks for the replys.

Saludos,
Paul
Old 07-22-2009, 07:36 PM
qldviking

I dont know why monocote and coverings dull blades, but for most of my covering I have gone over to using a wheel cutter, I also use them on balsa and light ply too. I find them a lot easier to use and to get a straight cut and they outlast normal blades by a wide margin. I also resharpen the cutting wheels and have found they are made of a better quality steel over blades. I have both the 45mm and 63mm Olfa wheel cutters, and find I only use standard blades now for cutting notches etc. The 45mm will also cut curves quite well, as in cutting wing ribs etc. But yes, covering does make a noticable dent on the life of the cutting on these too. I am wondering if the plastics have some metal oxide in the content?
Old 07-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I keep a fine sharpening stone on the bench. When your blade gets dull, spit on the stone and give the blade 20 or 30 strokes on each side. Good as new!!

I've sharpened some blades a dozen times or more before finally tossing it in the trash. Makes that pack of 100 blades last a lot longer.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tschuy

Ditto,

Something about Monokote really tears up the blades. I'll go through a dozen of them on one airplane.

Cheers,
One usually last a couple planes for me. I keep a small Arkanasaw stoneand give the blade a couple swipes after each cut. I'ts quicker than changing a blade, and I think the sharpness is better using this method. In fact, I give a new blade a couple swipes also. I think the buildup of the color/adheasive is what dulls the blade more than wear, and a couple drops of acetone on a rag and wipe the blade on it cleans it off nicely.

Don
Old 07-22-2009, 08:56 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found the X-acto blades to be sharper then anything else I have tried, so thats what I stick with.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:06 PM
ArCeeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Polymers are notorius for being hard on metal cutting edges. Ask somebody at a plastics company where they cut and extrude all kinds of plastics. It really wears out the blades faster than other conventional materials like wood or even metal.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Don41

ORIGINAL: tschuy

Ditto,

Cheers,
I too use a lot with monokote work however they are still more than sharp enough for other work so I just place them in a container for later use rather than the trash.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:53 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not so much that covering is hard on blades, it's more that covering needs a VERY sharp blade because it will flex toward the pressure exerted.

Same thing goes for Foam Rubber

Plywood, on the other hand, is stiff, so you can exert a LOT more pressure on it. So even a dull blade can still be pushed through it
Old 07-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Jim Clausen

I have not used an exacto blade in years. I bought some scalpel handles and buy the blades in bulk. They are sharper and last longer. I have found that Monokote does dull blades however. JMHO
Jim Clausen
Old 07-23-2009, 09:20 AM
shd3920

I don't use X-Acto or any other type #11 blades for my covering.

I use single edge razor blades from my local Carr Hardware store for $10 or less for a package of 100.
And when they are too dull for the covering I put them in a jar to be used for household chores and scraping jobs.