Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Dynaflite Butterfly build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Dynaflite Butterfly build

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 05:48 PM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom,
One way to get the engine more forward so you can get rid of some of the balance weight is to get a long motor mount intended for a rear intake engine. I used one that fit my little Thunder Tiger 18 and put the engine way forward on the mount. I'm sure if I didn't use a mount like that I would have had to add a bunch of weight to get it to balance proper.
Pete
Old 06-10-2017, 07:09 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Congratulations!!! Very cool man!

I can say these planes weren't meant to taxi much. Even if you installed a steerable tail-wheel it only takes a puff of a cross wind to tip them up due to the larger wing area.... regardless even with the stock skid (I have the stock skid).. they will tip up... I usually just set mine down, facing into the wind... and it's airborn in about a foot. Grass might take a bit more though... you did good regardless.

Are you sure you put a pound in that nose?? My plane built exactly to plans needed 3/4oz.with an OS .25FP... which is about the same as the .20's... Where exactly do you have the CG set at this point in relationship to the main-spar? I'm curious to see what's different there is all..

I've built 2 of these over the years now, and both needed very little nose weight.

They are a sight to behold though as they just rise off the ground... you had to be proud there, as you should be, again Congratulations.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:42 AM
sandal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

The Butterfly is back on my building table! After five years in an unheated shed some of the balsa looks strange, but I'll replace the worst parts. I have decided to build the wing without polyhedral, but with spoilers and ailerons. What I haven't decided is whether to use my SC FS30 or an electric motor. Both are good choices.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:14 PM
shoes53

Default Butterfly

Well I'm glad to see everybody's posting again about the butterfly my last post was 4 or 5 years ago still have not flown the plane although is ready to go. If anyone interested I have a ready to fly butterfly in the Chicagoland area. I am building a Pete and poke again seems to be coming along real nice covering and all
Old 09-04-2018, 08:22 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I decided not to use the lite ply for the fuselage and used balsa.

I used the lite ply kit fuselage for a pattern to cut the balsa wood sides.

Framed up plane ready for a couple of coats of clear dope.

Another view of framed up Butterfly

Here I have the Fuselage , stab, rudder and elevator covered with dyed yellow silk and a couple coats of clear dope.

The wings covered with dyed yellow silk with 2 coats of clear butyrate dope.

The fuselage taped off and Tennessee Red Sig dope applied.

Stabs taped off and Tennessee Red Sig dope applied.

Tape removed showing red trim on fuselage.

Wings with Tennessee Red Sig dope, ready for clear coating.

different view of fuselage showing the red trim. Fuselage is ready for the final 2 coats of clear dope.
I've been working on my Butterfly and have to put it on hold due to the heat. I have been waiting to spray the last clear coats of dope on it and it's just been to hot. But, I got her done today, last 2 coats of clear dope sprayed. Now I can finish construction and get her in the air soon.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:55 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love it! Can't beat dyed silk and color trim. I also like substituting balsa for liteply on the fuselage. Liteply just seems to shatter in a crash, I don't think it is very strong. In this application, much of the grain of the ply would be going the wrong direction and contribute nothing to strength. I don't put lightening holes in balsa because it doesn't save much weight and cutting across grain weakens it, however, this is a low stress airplane and I'm sure it will be fine. Nice work!

Jim
Old 09-13-2018, 09:26 PM
countilaw

It's finish with the exception of AMA and FAA numbers.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:28 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great!
Old 09-14-2018, 07:24 PM
DGrant

Wow! I really like what you did with that scheme, combined with your slight eliptical shaping of the tip areas on the tail and wings, and other subtle changes. Very tasteful touches, and should fly just as nice or better!

Congrats on a job well done, and now another Butterfly is born!
Old 09-16-2018, 12:56 PM
countilaw

Thanks guys, I only hope the grand kids like it .

Frank
Old 09-16-2018, 05:49 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Beautiful Butterfly!
Old 09-24-2018, 09:28 AM
sandal

countilaw, that is a beautiful plane!

There is still a lot to do before mine is finished, but a few hours every week should do it

The main parts of the wings are ready. Next: building the spoilers and ailerons. PS: It's really nice to see this thread come to life again!

Old 11-27-2019, 01:08 PM
Treetrimmer47

Default Another Newby

I've been at this since 1956. Started on Comet kits. My first was a Spad. I chucked it over a bridge. Flew pretty well for about 51 feet. Just for reference, the bridge is 50 feet over the river bottom.
In 2010 someone gave me a fuse for a Butterfly. I built a wing, slapped on an 0.10 and took her stalling. I'm trying to locate the pictures on the wing build. She never flew well. She's still with me and maybe I can figure out what is wrong with the wing. It doesn't seem to have any rigidity. I'm not sure what I used for plans. I guess I'll have to get her out of storage (read attic) and look at my design.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:59 PM
DGrant

If you've been at this since 1956 you'll figure it out. As far as a Butterfly wing having rigidity, they sure do when built and covered correctly. There's very little flex in the wing even with it being 99".

They fly like a dream, just easy as can be. If your wing is much different then a stock wing, therein would lie the problem.

I've built 2 over the years. The first one in 1986 or so, and this one in about 2013.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:04 PM
sandal

Smile

Made some progress today... The original fuselage looked like a banana after being left in the shed for years. I decided to build a new one from sticks. I hope it will work. Still quite a few hours of building before it's finished, but I'm closer than ever

Old 01-11-2020, 04:32 AM
sandal

Old 01-11-2020, 06:05 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That single wheel makes a lot of sense for a Butterfly which I remember always hand launching. Makes the plane even lighter. Good luck getting it back down!
Old 01-12-2020, 12:46 AM
DGrant

Interesting wheel placement. It should work for landing if you're running electric. I'm not seeing it would have much prop clearance for conventional take-off, so I'm guessing the intention is to hand launch. Although landing these things is very easy with conventional landing gear (although it does take quite a long slow final approach), I'm curious how that center wheel will work.
This is the first Butterfly I've seen with a landing wheel like that... It's pretty cool indeed.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:46 AM
sandal

DGrant and thailazer, you are right - I am going to hand launch the plane and use the center wheel for landing only. I used the advanced method of Looks About Right to decide where to place the wheel, so I hope it will work. Ideally it should balance and roll out on the wheel after landing ... time will show.

Today I finished the fuselage! I'm using a Turnigy 2217-20 860 for power and will put enough LiPo in the nose to get the CG right. Looks like I'll end up around 3300 mAh

Old 02-02-2020, 10:17 AM
DGrant

Hopefully your prop doesn't catch. If you're on grass it probably won't damage the prop, but if on pavement, you might get some scuffing. Just a thought. If you could set a brake on the ESC that might prevent something.. but still it's just a few thoughts is all. It's interesting. It's the first Butterfly I've seen with a single wheel. Very clever and cool.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:25 AM
sandal

Default Maiden flight today!

Old 10-09-2020, 07:30 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in the process of resoring a Butterfly. I really like your idea of building a new fuse out of stick! I just might have to copy that idea.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:37 AM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

This thread brings back fond memories. Roughly 35 years ago, I had one. I learned to fly rc on an Airtronics Olympic 650, then built and flew a Telemaster, then some Pilot kit trainer. But I was quite "shaky" on the Telemaster and Pilot, despite being both a full scale power plane and sailplane pilot back then. I built a Butterfly, loved it because it was so forgiving, and flew the living snot out of that thing. I wrung that plane out, did aerobatics that it shouldn't have been capable of, and eventually wore it out. I forget which engine I had on it.

Now I wouldn't mind building one again...if I could find a kit.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:47 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrider6
This thread brings back fond memories. Roughly 35 years ago, I had one. I learned to fly rc on an Airtronics Olympic 650, then built and flew a Telemaster, then some Pilot kit trainer. But I was quite "shaky" on the Telemaster and Pilot, despite being both a full scale power plane and sailplane pilot back then. I built a Butterfly, loved it because it was so forgiving, and flew the living snot out of that thing. I wrung that plane out, did aerobatics that it shouldn't have been capable of, and eventually wore it out. I forget which engine I had on it.

Now I wouldn't mind building one again...if I could find a kit.
If you can find one, they go for 150 to 200.00 now and then. I've been keeping an eye open as well.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:59 AM
ramboy

I have a NIB Butterfly kit I would be willing to sell for $150.
The following users liked this post:
Steve (10-29-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.