Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Balsa USA 75" Mustang Kit

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Balsa USA 75" Mustang Kit

Old 09-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Balsa USA 75" Mustang Kit

Anyone got one of these, yet?

http://www.balsausa.com/store/produc...id_product=842

Looks pretty good. I'm wondering if the old Robart retracts intended for the Pica P-51 would work.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:34 PM
leepord geko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Balsa USA 75

I plan on getting one for the winter build and will stick a mld-28cc gasser in it for power.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:06 PM
crazy8s
My Feedback: (21)

C'mon guys. No one has built this kit yet?? This is a re-released kit from several years ago, no one built it back then either??? Anyone out there??? My son and I have been flying WWII warbirds together for years (all ARF's, some of them modified) and he wants to build a Mustang from a kit with me and this is the size we want. I built several Balsa USA kits about 25 years ago and remember them as a lot of wood blocks that needed a LOT of sanding to get them to the proper shape. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the $350 price of this 75" kit and was wondering what the quality of it is for that price??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 10-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Mustang Fever

crazy8s:

Use the forum search engine on this subject. I did, but I'll stay mum and let you draw your own conclusions. After augering in about my 15th scale outline P-51, my next one (if there is one) will be a Meister Scale.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:21 PM
crazy8s

Actually I did that exact thing before I posted and although I sometimes have problems with RCU's updated search engine (it seems picky at times) I was only able to come up with 3 hits after searching 3 different times. I got this thread that you started, another from 9/6/09 and one from all the way back in 2004 during the kits first release. NONE of the posts got any kind of a reply so I'm assuming that not many of them have been built and flown. Makes me wonder why they re-released it. Did I miss something or were your results the same? In your opinion do you find the price excessive?? I would love to build a Meister scale one day but my field is not large enough to accomodate large scale Warbirds very easily.

thanks,
Steve
Old 10-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Mustang Fever

Steve:

The consensus I got from the search was that the quality was very poor.

If Meister is to be believed, the wing loading on their P-51 is so low that it should be manageable in a small area.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:33 PM
LunaSea

I am not sure they ever really shipped any of these from the "original release". I had ordered one when they first announced way back when... After a couple months waiting, they sent me a letter advising that there was some sort of issue with their "rights" to the design and that the plane was being withdrawn... I liked it then, and think it would be just as good now (although smaller than I build now)...
Old 10-14-2009, 03:08 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Just curious,,.......how does this somewhat smaller kit differ from the Top Flight full kit? More scale outline??
Old 10-14-2009, 03:43 PM
crazy8s

GarySS,

I'm not sure which Top Flight kit you are refering to when you say 'full kit' (65" or 84" wingspan) but to me there has always been something odd looking about either kit from Top Flight from the canopy forward. Something is off but I can't pin point it. Maybe someone who is really into scale outlines can chime in here. I recall reading a thread about it a long while back in the Warbird section about the modifications necessary to the front end of the Top Flight kits to make them more scale like. As far as the Balsa USA kit goes who knows?? We are still trying to locate someone who actually built one!!!!

Lunasea,

thanks for your input, that's an interesting situation. I had wondered why they
stopped advertising it back then.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Mustang Fever

I think there's some issues with the shape of the upper nose, and the cowling. Too subtle for my old eyes, though.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:15 AM
pmarcie

I received this kit in '98 for Christmas. I don't know what my lovely wife paid for it back then, but I sure the heck wouldn't pay $350 for it today. It was a decent kit from what I remember. I never quite completed it - got stuck jacking with the retracts as the ones they recommended don't really retract all the way and I couldn't get the doors to close right. I will eventually finish it. I'm planning on powering with a Saito 150.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:02 PM
RDonovan

I personally have not built this plane. I live close to BUSA and have seen the prototype model on several occassions. It is quite impressive close up. I'm a sucker for the Mustang looks. I am a stand-off scale modeller, way-off; 50 feet or 50 mph. This model appeals to me. If I didn't already have a TF GS P-51 ARF on the work bench I would consider this one. BUSA quality is good and their planes fly well. I think part of the reason it didn't sell well originally is its' size. 75 inch is below the IMAAs' 80 inch for giant scale. I think there was a magazine review in the late '90's. I don't remember which magazine. I agree that $350 seems high but everything is high today especially balsa wood. That's my $0.02 worth.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:16 AM
crazy8s

ORIGINAL: RDonovan

I personally have not built this plane. I live close to BUSA and have seen the prototype model on several occassions. It is quite impressive close up. I'm a sucker for the Mustang looks. I am a stand-off scale modeller, way-off; 50 feet or 50 mph. This model appeals to me. If I didn't already have a TF GS P-51 ARF on the work bench I would consider this one. BUSA quality is good and their planes fly well. I think part of the reason it didn't sell well originally is its' size. 75 inch is below the IMAAs' 80 inch for giant scale. I think there was a magazine review in the late '90's. I don't remember which magazine. I agree that $350 seems high but everything is high today especially balsa wood. That's my $0.02 worth.
RDonovan,
I have no doubt that it may be a good quality kit or that it might fly well, I have built various BUSA products many moons ago including the 1/3 scale Mauriane Saulnier (spelling?). My problem is with the pricing. $350 for a box of wood for a 75" plane? No spinner? No retracts? Sure, I realize that everything has gone up but when I can get a Top Flight GS Mustang kit for $210 plus free shipping with my membership at Tower Hobbies then this kit just looks silly.

Anyway, thanks everyone for their input. It may have been the size I wanted, but I'm not going to pay that kind of a price.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Funscaleflyer

I have the Meister P-51 plans. I think I will take them to my favorite copy shop (Fedex Office) kinko's and reduce them to 75". That's how Dynaflite came up with the 81" Spitfire. Someone must have a canopy of that size. Maybe BUSA will sell me one! Retracts...Yes. Four stroke 1.20 should be hidden well. Can't wait to start...anyone else up to the challenge?
Old 02-13-2011, 11:27 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

I realize this thread is over a year old but I had a friend ask me about a picture I sent him of a new airplane storage shelf I just built. He wanted to know what the unfinished wing I had on one of the shelves were and it is a Balsa USA Mustang. I had the kit since the late 90's. There were many issues with it and I didn't even realize they re-released it. Some of the issues were that they spec'd out the wrong Robart mains for the plane so you'll be sending back the first set after you call them and they tell you the manual is wrong. When I first started working on the kit, I had only built two or three kits so my experience level was not too high. When I laid out the wing half drawings, one wing half was a half inch longer than the other half! When I called for some tech support they said just build it to the wing spar length that was provided. I said the wing spars were not precut so I have to cut them too the drawing. Then they said "well the guy who designed is out on vacation. Call back in a few weeks. They also said that the printing process that they use can shrink or expand so it my not be too precise. That's great for building over the plans! Every few years I put it back on the bench and get a little further then get frustrated and put it back on the shelf. Maybe someday....

Marty
Old 02-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Printing can shrink the paper but a half inch is way beyond normal. Printing presses have a thin film of water flowing over the plate and the water is absorbed by the paper then it tends to shrink a bit. If plans are copied by using a blue line machine the paper is coated and it develops with ammonia and no shrinkage should accrue. Unless there is a very big run of over a 1000 or more of the plans are usually printed by the blue line machine. The plans can be either blue or black depending on the paper coating. When printed 1/64 is about the ammount of shrinking usually found. A half inch would be the person doing the drawing making a mistake with there ruler.
Old retired printer!!