Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Which Trainer kit ?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Kadet Sr.
36.96%
Lt 40
36.96%
Eagle II
13.04%
Other {your favorite trainer to bash}
13.04%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Which Trainer kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which Trainer kit ?

I need to build myself a new trainerand have a Magnum 52 4 stroke for it. I,m going to use it for training but also want to install bomb drop ,flaps , taildragger / floats, ski,s, litesand maybe a camera .
I have built 2 LT 40,s for myself and loved the plane . Have assembled and flown an Eagle II arfor a freind , handled much like the LT 40 , just smaller.
I really like the looks of the Kadet Sr. and the 78 in wing. Would like to build one but want to mod it so it handles much like the LT 40 , 4 channels. Out of the 3 kits listed in the poll, which one would best fit what I,m looking for.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:03 AM
GaryHarris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Trainer kit ?

LT-40 with a Magnum .52 is just right!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63817.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	1299193  
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Revy
My Feedback: (1)

Kadet Sr offers a better more stable platform for your cameras and a larger payload. Doesn't get shoved around by breezes. I liked the one I buddy boxed on. It had ailerons added to it.
My first "trainer" was a FZ Cessna 182. Learned everything NOT to do with that lil' foam job. My .02.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Nice LT 40, Here,s a pic of my first one . Hmmm, maybe I,ll just bash a LT40 .I had a ST gs.40 on it tobegan with , but switched to the Madnum 52fs ,which was a great combo. I put floats on it to fly off the snow , but they really made the plane sluggish . Maybe a lite pair of ski,s would work out better . Guess I could go with a Magnum .70 4st , but did,nt want to buy an engine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67933.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	1299220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94833.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	1299221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80506.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	1299222  
Old 10-21-2009, 12:09 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LT-40
Old 10-21-2009, 12:19 PM
huck1199

You could get a 40 size tower trainer arf to bash. They are a great deal at about $80.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCAS2&P=7
or a 60 size for $120
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCAS1&P=7

I have built a Kadet MKII and LT-40 kits and both are good, but at the prices of these ARFs why bother. I bought the Tower 40 size on sale last spring and the quality of the ARF is very good.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:01 PM
eagledancer

telemaster 40 makes a fantastic trainer
Old 10-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Eganwp
My Feedback: (1)

Wow, those LT 40's look IDENTICAL to the Flightstar 40 my brother and I put together as a beater plane last weekend. With an OS 40 and a 10x6 @ 13,400 on 10% that plane really moves. I would throw on an 11" but ground clearance is the issue.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:43 PM
cmartin_3d

Eagle II all the way! I learned on my Eagle II ARF, beat the **** out of it. Love that plane so much that I bought the kit version last month to build my float plane project. To this day I never seen a "trainer" plane fly as stable, yet be as manuverable as the Eagle II!
Old 10-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Mr67Stang

Seems like a no brainer. You already said you like the look of the Kadet Sr. Hands down it has the lowest wing loading so it has more room to put all your add ons in it. You could likely double the wing loading and still fly it with a .60 size engine. I have one of these kits and have plans to build it in a way that no one has ever seen here... I hope.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Don41

ORIGINAL: huck1199

You could get a 40 size tower trainer arf to bash. They are a great deal at about $80.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCAS2&P=7
or a 60 size for $120
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCAS1&P=7

I have built a Kadet MKII and LT-40 kits and both are good, but at the prices of these ARFs why bother. I bought the Tower 40 size on sale last spring and the quality of the ARF is very good.
It actually costs you more to build the kit. Of course the kit will allow you to strengthen and make changes (such as wing bolts) as you build. We flew a LT40 converted to a tail dragger and a O.S. 46 two stroke for power. Really nice flying plane.

Regards
Old 10-22-2009, 08:49 AM
Insanemoondoggie

I do like the looks of the Sr. , would it fly like the LT 40 if it had barndorn ailerons on it ? I,ve read thru the forums and most reference it to flying a kite . My LT 40 would fly inverted and do basic manuvers and if I can bash the Sr. to fly like the Lt40 , thats what I would prefer to build . Last nite I browsed thru the members photos of Kadet Sr. . There are some very nice Srs. out there , many on floats and ski,s .
I have built 12 kits , but none of the have been a stick built fuse. This might be a good one to try. My biggest concern , is how the Sr. flys, since I have,nt flown or seen one fly .
ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

Seems like a no brainer. You already said you like the look of the Kadet Sr. Hands down it has the lowest wing loading so it has more room to put all your add ons in it. You could likely double the wing loading and still fly it with a .60 size engine. I have one of these kits and have plans to build it in a way that no one has ever seen here... I hope.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:03 AM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ugly stik is great
Old 10-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: Insanemoondoggie

I do like the looks of the Sr. , would it fly like the LT 40 if it had barndorn ailerons on it ? I,ve read thru the forums and most reference it to flying a kite . My LT 40 would fly inverted and do basic manuvers and if I can bash the Sr. to fly like the Lt40 , thats what I would prefer to build . Last nite I browsed thru the members photos of Kadet Sr. . There are some very nice Srs. out there , many on floats and ski,s .
I have built 12 kits , but none of the have been a stick built fuse. This might be a good one to try. My biggest concern , is how the Sr. flys, since I have,nt flown or seen one fly .
ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

Reduce the dihedral, install barn door ailerons and you will have a nice sport flyer that can carry your payload.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Called Sig today to order a kit and was told it would be 2 to 3 weeks before they had their back orders filled. Said they had been having trouble getting balsa. Very, very nice people at Sig , I hope they get their supply problem worked out.
Looks like I got some time to clean up the shop and finish off a few repairs. Winter has hit Mn early this year , my weatherlady says it,s going to be a long building season .
Mr67Stang , when are you starting yours ?
Old 10-22-2009, 06:33 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: Insanemoondoggie

Called Sig today to order a kit and was told it would be 2 to 3 weeks before they had their back orders filled. Said they had been having trouble getting balsa. Very, very nice people at Sig , I hope they get their supply problem worked out.
Looks like I got some time to clean up the shop and finish off a few repairs. Winter has hit Mn early this year , my weatherlady says it,s going to be a long building season .
Mr67Stang , when are you starting yours ?
Well, I had not given it much thought, as to when I would start anyway, until your thread popped up and got me thinking about it again. Perhaps we could do a tandem build thread. Are you interested?
Old 10-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Yes Sir, very interested . I would also like to bash the heck out of one. What engine are you thinking of using? The Magnum .52 fs may be a little on the light side for what I want to do. I do have a new old stock OS .60 FP, a ST.61/.75 or a Saito .72 that could be used.
This will be fun, and make a great winter project.
Looks like the Kadet Sr. wins, lol.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Mr67Stang

Probably about a .72-.82 Saito but that is up in the air. I even concidered twin .40's. By the time I figure out all I plan to do with a build I have just finished it I am going to build it as a single though as someone else has already done a 4 engine version so the multi engine angle would be tough to beat.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Berta

Hi…

Have a look at this kit. BTE Flying King http://www.btemodels.com/flyin_king.html
It is a SR look alike from a gent who worked at Sig and designed a few of their planes.

Quote from his site!

“My years at Sig were fantastic. While there, I designed five kits: the 1/3-scale Spacewalker, the Four-Star 40 and 120, the Mid-Star 40, and the Wonder. I worked there for eight years, made lots of friends, and hated to leave, but there was still a passion burning within. I wanted to be in the model airplane business and I wanted to do it on my ownâ€

It is, where it sounds like you want to be when you are finished bashing your SR.
Good luck with your search.

bert
Old 10-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Insanemoondoggie

I did look at the FlyingKing, But Bruce has already bash that one,. I am on his Venture .60 list and heard thru the grapevine , they may be coming back soon.

I thought about this engine http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ke_Glow_Engine_ I have the 1.20 4 stroke and am very pleased with it. Think a 61 4 stroke would be enough for floats ?
Hers an artical on flaps http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aerostuff/kadflap.htm