Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Extra 260 manual

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Extra 260 manual

Old 10-24-2009, 07:42 PM
SticknRudder
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra 260 manual

Howdy,
Irecently purchased a 20 year old 33% Extra 260 standoff scale kit - manufacturer was "Extra R/C" from Sergeant Bluff, Iowa. Does anyone have an assembly manual for this kit? I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:34 AM
gzkpez

Default RE: Extra 260 manual

I believe what you have is the Extra 230 33% with a 96 inch span designed by Jim Van Loo The 260 was derived from the 230 by going from a 4 to 6 cylinder and adding carbon on the ailerons along with other refinements. If so the original appeared in a construction article in Model Aviation in May 1986. It was latter kitted by Extra RC, then Ace took it over. There is a material substitution of the Mahogany (wonder if they specified night cutting) to spruce. Also the canopy mounts a little differently.

The magazine is available online at the AMA website for members. There are a lot of pictures along with plans in the article. There might of been a 260 design later also.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:24 AM
SticknRudder
My Feedback: (2)

gzkpez,
You are absolutely right, and the original owner did actually note that material change on the drawings. Headed to the AMA site now.
Thanks

Old 02-25-2010, 03:19 PM
Maness8282
My Feedback: (3)

Need help,

I recentlywas givena Ace Extra 230 kit with 96 inch wingspan. I do not have a set of plans in order to build. The box did not have plans. Can anyone help me??

The kit was manufactured in 1993 by Ace. Thunder Tiger later bought out Ace and they did not keep any of the old plans from Higginsville, Mo.

Lee

Old 02-25-2010, 08:19 PM
gzkpez

The plans for the version in May 1986 Model Aviation mention above are the same as the Plans that came in my Ace kit, other then some Spruce substitution for the Mahogany 1/4 stingers on the fuselage. Also the hold down for the hatch is different, Ace made it more conventional, without the Nyrod and by having an inch of the top attached to the firewall. If you are an AMA member you can download the original construction article. The construction article shows the plans fairly clearly.

I have compared the Magazine Plans to the later Ace ones. They are the same plans except as noted above.

Even if you are not an AMA member you can get the Plans. They may even include the construction article. They also sell the foam as does some others.

What will you power it with. I intend to start building mine late year.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Maness8282
My Feedback: (3)

Gtzkpez,

Thanks for your response to my email, concerning plans for Ace Extra 260 kit. I am an AMA member and will try to download the construction article. If you know of anyone wanting to sale the construction manual, I would be willing to buy. The kit was produced in Oct of 1993 by Ace R/c with foam wing panels and a foam turtle back. The foam wings has plywood spars to be built in place.

I plan on using an Evolution 26 (gaser)as my power plant. I hope that is big enough. This will be my first 1.60+ size r/c plane.

Please let me know if you know anyone that would be willing to sale the plans or at least reproduce a set for me at a price. Thanks

Lee
Old 02-26-2010, 04:19 AM
gzkpez

I have the same kit. I like the lines it is much closer to scale of the real ones then most of what is sold today. I have seen some really made to scale with fuse windows scale fittings etc. and they were nice. I would build mine a flyer though.

I checked the price of the Plans from AMA they were $27 and shipping. That is pretty cheap, it would cost much more to reproduce them. Last time I bought plans that big they cost me almost twice.

As far as the manual, I have attached mine (a poor copy of a poor copy), the magazine article was more descriptive, but the method was a little different. If you get the AMA plans and need help on the new method that they use to attached the cowl let me know. Other then that and changing the name to ACE there are no differences that I can see on the plans

While I think a Evolution 26 is a nice engine I do think it would not be a good choose for the plane. It is 26 cc which is about 1.5 cubic inches. The recommended power that Ace stated was 2.6 to 3.2 Cubic inches. I was told to put a big engine in it by people who use to fly it. One suggested put the G62 62cc (3.8 cubic inch) Zenoah in it. Others said just a 75 cc Quadra. I do appreciate how well and trouble free the Zenoah is so that would be my first choose, today if I was ready for the engine. The Evolution 58, 50 or 45 would be good if you want an Evolution.
[b]
The Most Important thing in building this and the smaller ones is that the right and left wing spars are not symmetrical in how they attach to the fuselage.[/b Read the plans several times and check when you build, I have know great builders who have gotten it wrong and they had to fix their wings. Fixing the wings I am sure is difficult and I am not sure if I could do it well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Wu59438.pdf (557.8 KB, 94 views)
Old 10-05-2010, 08:20 PM
mwhar760
My Feedback: (18)

i just became the owner of the 30% 230 complete kit but no instructions can anyone happen to have a set??????
Old 10-05-2010, 11:41 PM
JHays

If it help, I am building the 25% version of the Ace Extra 230. The building is the same, just smaller.
Building log link below.
Good luck

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_95...tm.htm#9529879