Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Tower Hobbies Uproar 40 build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Tower Hobbies Uproar 40 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tower Hobbies Uproar 40 build

Never tried a fillet like that but it is looking good! is that 1/2" Triangle stock? hard to hold I am thinking... might have to try that it looks sleek! I got the Rudder assy built and one aileron. Some of the wood is a bit softer than I would like but I try to use it for the smaller parts and save the stronger stuff for the long pieces. No flying this weekend as it was very windy here[:@]
Old 05-23-2010, 08:48 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

ORIGINAL: Daddyo57

Never tried a fillet like that but it is looking good! is that 1/2'' Triangle stock? hard to hold I am thinking..........
3/8" triangle stock that came with the kit. The OD of the 3/4 PVC has just a little bigger radius than the height of the stock but it worked out ok.

Indeed it was a pain to hold but I managed. I did not do it in this case. But, one could tack (glue, pins, small nails) some small scrap balsa blocks to the 2X4 to help hold the triangle stock.

later
Old 05-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rick, that really does look good. Seeing it reminded me that my wood shop/club has a shaper that would allow me to make up some nice sticks to keep on hand in that shape. The only machine in the shop that scares the peewaddle out of me. I have operated it a few times but never had to set it up. Or I could save my body parts and use the PVC/sand paper. Windy here too with a nasty looking storm blowing in, no flying at all sense last Wednesday and this week isn't looking very good.
Gene
Old 05-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Daddyo57

Gray Beards shaper made me think of the router tables, they arent near as cool as a shaper but I wonder how they work on Balsa? might grab the part and fling it. I am with you Gray Beard, the shaper is a mean looking machine! we had a giant planer at my high school and that thing would chuck the piece back at you at high velocity! fun with wood tools!
Old 05-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Gray Beard

Gray Beards shaper made me think of the router tables, they aren't near as cool as a shaper but I wonder how they work on Balsa? might grab the part and fling it. I am with you Gray Beard, the shaper is a mean looking machine! we had a giant planer at my high school and that thing would chuck the piece back at you at high velocity! fun with wood tools!
I live in one of those age restricted communities with all the rec centers and clubs. My friends call it the old folks home, it's great!! Anything and everything you would ever want to do is here!! The wood shop/club was formed by members only, no HOA funds at all. The equipment is paid for by club projects we do for area home owners. We do have master wood workers in the club so whatever you want we can make. Better equipment then any school shop I have ever been in. Equipment is always being upgraded as new items come up on the market. I cut all my own wing spars and hardwood parts there. If I need 8 foot hardwood spars of different thicknesses I just cut them as needed. The shaper is just a glorified router but for some reason I have never had to set it up aND ONLY OPERATED IT A FEW TIMES, it cuts so much and so fast it just bothers me. If I wanted I could cut my own crown molding though. We really have pretty much everything and it's top notch stuff. It may be age restricted but we have a lot of retired show girls here too!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Daddyo57

I think wood working is one reason I like RC so much... yeah I know it isnt the same but the tools are smaller! I LOVE woodworking and want to do much more of it. I would really enjoy a co op like that! good for you! it is like RC too I think, you cant really make alot of money building stuff unless you are a cabinet maker but it is fun. I am continuing my Uproar 60 build and am ready to start the wings, the wings themselves seem like thay are as light as the Uproar 40 but the center section seems like it will be heavy and add to that the heavy spar tube and aluminum spar, there is room for improvement. I am going to build this one fairly stock and wont make many mods except to make the rudder and elevator a bit larger, I also made the ailerons come all the way to the fuselage (well except the distance of the center section)I needed a bit more 3/8" square stock for this over the amount supplied with the kit. I might split the difference on the landing gear position between rough field (way forward) and smooth field (more rearward) this expalins the pictures of the Uproar 60s I have seen where the gear seems different. The gear appears a bit small in all the pics I have seen, I have never seen an Uproar 60 here where I live or ever, and am the only one I know who flies the 40 sized, their loss! I have a very different covering scheme planned for this bird, my son is making a .pdf overlay for the plans I had scanned of a bird skeleton, the backbone is all the way down the fuselage and the wings are of course spread across the tops of the wings, should be interesting to look at and hopefully accomplish he is very good at graphic design so it helps the old man out. A couple of pics of my not so fast building so far, I have a few days off so I hope to glue some sticks!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq49013.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	1443064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91157.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	1443065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94745.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	1443066  
Old 05-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Gray Beard

Go Daddy Go!!!!! I can see a big mistake already, your next trip to sin city I will have to teach you how to stand back 6 feet and squirt the glue onto the wood, that's just way too clean to ever fly correctly. Next photo could you show us the wing and center section. I have a thought running around from side to side in my head but want to see how the stock wing is built before I say anything. I have never built the 60 before. Flown them though.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:05 PM
Daddyo57

LOL I am not that good with the joints trust me!! working on it though! I plan to use transparent monokote red and or? so I want the inner structure to look good as well as work of course. Might get to the center section today, it is a busy little piece of work to be sure! as I said before, I think there is room for imrovement in the lightness of this part, in the future there be tha opportunity for just that! I will post pics of it when I get there for your scrutiny, I am totally open to any and all input from you guys 100 plus years or so of combined experience is a good thing!
Old 05-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Bonified Wingnut

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's another video of my Uproar 60.-BW

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO8B7RTZgTk[/link]
Old 05-27-2010, 08:10 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

ORIGINAL: Bonified Wingnut

Here's another video of my Uproar 60.-BW

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO8B7RTZgTk[/link]
BW-

Well, that ole TH75 is a screamer with that prop on it. But those thick wings just don't go fast. I'll be running 13X4 props on 40 sized uproars powered by ST51's.

Landing was smooth[sm=thumbs_up.gif]. I was hoping you were going to show us some stunts.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:14 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

............................I am totally open to any and all input from you guys 100 plus years or so of combined experience is a good thing!

Cliff????[] I've only been at it a couple years[sm=71_71.gif] Yeah Right
Old 05-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Bonified Wingnut

RICKSTUBBZ - I had the 13x6 on it for one flight and it had much better vertical. But it was mowing the grass and chipped it. It really needs a 14" prop but it just doesn't have clearance. I still take it easy with it until I can come up with a back up. I give you a quick roll and a small loop, next time I will try to get more on video.-BW
Old 05-28-2010, 08:42 AM
gunneredwards
My Feedback: (4)

What math formula should i use to magnify a set of .40 size plans to get a .60 size plane?
Old 05-28-2010, 08:47 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Bonified Wingnut,

If you are interested, on Post # 314, I posted, with some pictures, how I modified the stock landing gear to get more prop clearance. I found the stock wire very easy to work with. Only bummer to that is, easy to work with means eventually it will pancake out. I am sure the sixty size wire is very simualr if not the same stuff. At any rate with a small amount of bending I am sure you can run the 13" and it might even be possible to get the needed clearance for a 14".

Good Luck
Old 05-28-2010, 10:01 AM
Bonified Wingnut

ORIGINAL: RICKSTUBBZ

Bonified Wingnut,

If you are interested, on Post # 314, I posted, with some pictures, how I modified the stock landing gear to get more prop clearance. I found the stock wire very easy to work with. Only bummer to that is, easy to work with means eventually it will pancake out. I am sure the sixty size wire is very simualr if not the same stuff. At any rate with a small amount of bending I am sure you can run the 13'' and it might even be possible to get the needed clearance for a 14''.

Good Luck
The gear on the Uproar 60 is Aluminum. I could bend it but then it would be narrower than I'd like. I might start looking for some other gear for it when I get caught up with a few other projects.-BW

Name:	Ec89389.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	1443867  
Old 05-28-2010, 04:30 PM
tobydogs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey gang,i'v been lurking about following the builds.....just thought i'd share a few pictures of my roar today flew it twice and the slick 3 times. on the second roar flight i was doing and speed touch down and go when the lg snaped off and went thru the wing...ouch!! not really bad at all ,took me 2 1/2 hrs to repair it to what you see,but the design of ghost flames/smoke can't be replaced as i'm not spending $16 for another set .....or maybe i will,but thats the only part of todays mishape that bugs me.

beautiful weather to fly here in nj,so take it slow when doin the touch an go...lol...stu

Name:	Mk24906.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1444013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39534.jpg
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1444014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82611.jpg
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1444015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32735.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1444016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep85192.jpg
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	1444017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iy36174.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1444018  
Old 05-28-2010, 04:41 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

ORIGINAL: tobydogs

....................... on the second roar flight i was doing and speed touch down and go when the lg snaped off and went thru the wing...ouch!!

Stu,

That kind of deal usually makes me want to curse![:@], Glad to see the damage was not too severe and she looks ready to fly again.

Myself, a little at a time I am getting the covering finished up on Uproar #1. The sides of the fuse is all that is left. Man, did I ever mention how much I hate trying to cover a completely assembled plane. Even a 40 size is a PITA. Anyway, this thing just might be a reasonbly durable plane because I have not crushed, broke, or knocked anything off of it while beating it against the table, chair, floor, and anything else that could get in the way.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Gray Beard

Rick, you really didn't cover a plane correctly unless you break out a wing rib or two.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Daddyo57

LOL I was just marveling at the fact that I havent broken a rib or had to repair something yet! I always break parts with my clutzy hands... I did cut a couple of spar caps short [:@].Sorry you dinged your bird Stu!!! man you get your moneys worth out them!!! I have to say the quility of the wood is pretty good on this Uproar, my last 40 sized one had a couple of terrible pieces and like a dummy I used them. I have the left wing looking like a wing now, I like this construction method but putting the sheer webs on the front means the bottom sheeting will be 100% no access when I install it. I dont like that but nothing I can do about it but do a good job the first time. I took a couple of pics, the last shows the bottom ready to put the leading edge sheeting and spar caps on, then glue on the leading edge slab. If the wind blows tomorrow I will build the right wing and hopefully start the fuselage and wing center section. Going fairly quick really, cant complain and I used some of Ricks "Tooling' methods to keep the wing root rib perfectly square. I used a different camera and the images arent the best quality.[sm=49_49.gif]

Name:	Yw68165.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1444100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96683.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1444101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz67147.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1444102  
Old 05-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Daddyo57

I am pretty sure that is just flat aluminum stock BW, I am betting you can get some at Lowes or a good hardware store. Should have no problem bending it in a vice with a tap or two from a rubber or rawhide hammer to persuade it into shape. Wire would work great too and might be lighter... might have to use 3/16" though for an 8 pound bird. Depending on the poer plant I use I may have to do the same. i wouldnt mind a Saito 100 or at least a 90 2 stroke, I want this baby to have vertical.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Bonified Wingnut

The gear isn't as soft as stock aluminum from the hardware store. The Tower 75 is plenty but some of you power hungry people might like a 90 or bigger 2 stroke. I also thought about a 20 - 30 cc gasoline engine with taller gear, but there isn't much room for the ignition.-BW
Old 05-29-2010, 02:40 PM
gunneredwards
My Feedback: (4)

I used an aluminum door kick plate and cut it to my specs. The only thing that I have been thinking of adding would be a cross wire to make them a little more rigid. But if you land nice they don't bend and if you do have a hard landing, they give and can be rebent into position very easily. I'll post some picts in a few... cant upload right now.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Daddyo57

Not sure what the temper of hardware aluminum is but stock is 6061 (printed on gear), I am sure store stuff is 6061 (weldable) but probably not T-6 more like T-3 softer. I have used the hardware stuff with great success in the past, I would just say dont bend it too flat, meaning make the top flat mounting part a bit wider so you can have a more vertical downward leg and will be fine.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:25 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

SLAP it - FLIP it - and RUB it down. Thw #1 uproar is freaking covered...............................

Not the best covering job I've ever done. But I won't be worried about it coming loose and/or blowing off either.

Just got to put all the nuts and bolts on now along with a little radio set-up.

Name:	Fd92852.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1445090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20116.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1445091  
Old 05-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Daddyo57

Rick it looks great man!!! really sharp, I bet it will look really good sitting on it's tail in a hover too!!!!! Great timing too for Memorial Day!!!!! God Bless America!!!!!!!! [sm=shades_smile.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.