Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Tower Hobbies Uproar 40 build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Tower Hobbies Uproar 40 build

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2023, 06:00 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Talk about coverings, the original Monokote on my CG Extra 300 is now 28 yrs old and still going strong. The fuselage is stored on a wall rack in my workshop while wing is in a bag in the main house. Our annual temps hover between 55-90 deg F range so that might have helped a bit with its longevity.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:35 PM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Love that this thread is still going! I actually just found another Uproar 40 kit , Time to build another one! (Its been a few years!)
Old 02-01-2023, 08:40 PM
DMehalko

Originally Posted by RICKSTUBBZ
Our favorite fun fly airplane kit is on sale again ---$36.99

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LW4891&P=1

Miss these days..... haha, I paid $100 for my kit, but will be worth it to re-live. Thinking an OS .35AX this round
The following users liked this post:
RICKSTUBBZ (02-02-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 02:27 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default covering repair - patches

The Red Uproar had accumulated several packing tape patches over the last couple of years. While I had no worries about the tape patches. They work just fine. They surely don't look very well. Even though I did not do a good job of documenting with photo's, here is a few low quality pics. There was also one on the back of the fuse.

In this picture you can see the four holes in the wing after removing the tape. heck the hole in the left wing near the tip and aileron I poked into the stupid thing getting ready to fix the other holes. I had already patched the fuse..

A close up ....

Three of the holes patched. You can see the "stitches" that I put across the hole using strips of covering upside down attached to the inside using Top Flight Trim Solvent. I did a detail post on this earlier in this thread on this same plane. Of course, for now, all those pictures are gone.

patches complete

needless to say, the old plane shows it's battle scars but at least it has a little more class versus the ugliness of packing tape patches....
Old 02-26-2023, 03:35 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Smile Old pictures are back

All the old pictures are back...

THEY'RE GREAT
Old 02-26-2023, 08:45 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Rick, thanks for that welcomed news.
Old 02-26-2023, 06:07 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Yay! Now just give me some decent weather.
Old 10-07-2023, 03:29 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Default Reciever Battery Replacement

I just can’t let this old thread die as long as there is some little story to tell…. It’s hard to believe that these things were built 13 years ago. Granted they still have not been getting flown much. In fact the last time I had them out was in March of this year.

The batteries in all three of my uproars have reached the end of their useful life. I have already replaced the batteries in the transmitters but replacing the batteries in these planes, the way I built them requires a little surgery. For anyone not familiar with my builds for these, they were built with a lot of experiments to keep weight down and really never expected to last more than a couple years. First four years they were flown a lot…

Anyway, here is a few pictures showing the process of replacing the battery in the purple plane.

Bottom view showing where the battery is. Front triangle support for battery already removed

side view of battery location

cut out a section to slide the battery through

out with the old

I was fishing a wire with a flex rod. Just showing this picture to give overall perspective

Old 10-07-2023, 07:28 PM
DMehalko

Love it!! I've been working on a few other airplane projects but still have an uproar kit staring at me wanting to be built
Old 10-08-2023, 12:47 PM
tobydogs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ricky !!! Your killing me !!! Lol. I have an old ,original uproar kit in my garage mancave and haven't built any balsa kits
since building quads to FPV. BUT NOW, seeing your post may have motivated me to build in the NJ fall weather before it gets to cold to hang in the unheated garage. This has been one of my favorite forum threads to be part of. Glad to see ya still around Rick. If I do my 4th build of the Roar....I'll post a completed picture. Best part is I'm retired and it should take to long to complete. Here's a picture of my last roar.

Last edited by tobydogs; 10-08-2023 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-08-2023, 01:06 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Originally Posted by tobydogs
Ricky !!! Your killing me !!! Lol. I have an old ,original uproar kit in my garage mancave and haven't built any balsa kits
since building quads to FPV. BUT NOW, seeing your post may have motivated me to build in the NJ fall weather before it gets to cold to hang in the unheated garage. This has been one of my favorite forum threads to be part of. Glad to see ya still around Rick. If I do my 4th build of the Roar....I'll post a completed picture. Best part is I'm retired and it should take to long to complete. Here's a picture of my last roar.
Holy Cow TOBYDOGS..
Haven't heard from you in a while... I still remember your electrified Uproars...
Hope to see a picture of your newest version of the UPROAR in the not so distant future

I am not retired yet. But I am getting close enough that I can see it...
Once that happens (retirement) I am hoping to build quite a few airplanes...
Old 02-03-2024, 08:04 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

I had a few minutes before getting motivated to do what I should be doing….
Figured what the heck, give this old thread a bump with some trivial updates.

I did get all three of the Uproars in the air in the middle of last November, after changing the receiver batteries. Managed to bring them all home in one piece.I had intended to make the NEW YEARS day outing… but missed it this year. And just for grins (certainly not anything extraordinary) Here is the flight history on these three plans. The white is Total flights of all three.

Middle of last month I changed over the other two Airtronics RDS 8000 transmitters to LiPo battery packs. Picture shown below. Those familiar with Airtronics know that the wires had to be flipped around on the plug. I also had to do a little careful trimming of the plastic shrink wrap and hard fiber reinforced, cardboard like, wrap material to get the leads to fit properly in the space. Not to mention some foam spacer were needed to support the battery.

Because you never know with me…. I plugged the charge cord plugs on the transmitters with a piece of fuel tubing in case for some stupid reason, I have a lapse in memory and try to plug in the normal charger. When I charge my Lipo’s for these I monitor the voltage and only charge to 12 volts and stop. I tried to find actual – reliable info as to what the transmitters could handle for input voltage and could not find any legitimate claims over 12 volts. Other than a little bit of a pain when charging, it is no big deal. Charge last plenty long enough. Obviously to charge, I have to open up the battery cover to plug in to the charge lead.

Last But not least, I was recently gifted a new-old-stock UPROAR kit untouched, in the BOX. Obviously, it’s at the bottom of a very long build list – that is not moving very fast. But it’s not going anywhere, if for no other reason, because it was a gift.

Hopefully there are still some out there, still flying some old uproars.....

Last edited by RICKSTUBBZ; 02-03-2024 at 08:06 AM. Reason: formatting text and picture