Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Citabria Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Citabria Build

Old 10-17-2021, 04:49 PM
Starwolf2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the fuselage stripes done today! I also added white covering over the top of the cockpit. Next up: Windows and Cowling.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:43 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

It just keeps getting better and better looking!
Old 10-19-2021, 06:34 PM
Starwolf2

Yesterday, I used canopy glue to attach a strip of Monokote to a spare piece of window plastic to see if it would work. I tugged on it this morning, and it stuck, but I was able to pull them apart. Later, I looked at the glue directions and found it is supposed to cure 24 hours. I guess I have to try another experiment!

I already cut up the original cowling to fit a glow engine. My switch to electric meant that I had to purchase and assemble a second cowling. I was able to attach it to the fuselage today. Now, I need to find some paint for it! When I took the picture, I noticed that some of the covering is already lifting from the front edge of the hatch. I will need to see what I can do about that.

Old 10-30-2021, 12:25 PM
Starwolf2

I glued on the side windows, but I am not happy with how they turned out! The CA fogged the plastic in a couple of places. I need to find some paint for the cowling, once I find some, I will also paint over the windows to cover the frame and the fogging. However, I am having problems finding pain that will match the covering. Can someone provide me with some advice?

I am contemplating how I will install the front window. I would like to avoid the fogging. I am starting to think that I might be able to use epoxy.

Old 10-31-2021, 09:55 AM
Russmall

I like to use Pacer 560 canopy glue to glue windows and canopies. Also, you can use strips of covering material about 3/8" wide to trim the edges.

Old 11-04-2021, 05:08 PM
Starwolf2

Russmall, your plane looks great! I have some Zap Canopy Glue Formula 560. However, I tried gluing the canopy plastic to some covering and it did not stick well. That is why I ended up using CA. I take it the Pacer 560 works better.

How did you wrap the plastic around the pieces at the top that match the wings? When I cut the plastic following the template, it asked me to cut out that area.

I appreciate the help!
Old 11-05-2021, 12:08 PM
Russmall

Originally Posted by Starwolf2 View Post
Russmall, your plane looks great! I have some Zap Canopy Glue Formula 560. However, I tried gluing the canopy plastic to some covering and it did not stick well. That is why I ended up using CA. I take it the Pacer 560 works better.

How did you wrap the plastic around the pieces at the top that match the wings? When I cut the plastic following the template, it asked me to cut out that area.

I appreciate the help!
Zap and Pacer are the same company so your canopy glue should be the same as what I have. I like to lightly scuff the surface of the covering where the glue will be used with a small piece of Scotchbrite or steel wool followed by a good cleaning with alcohol. Run a small bead of the glue around the perimeter and then tape the window in place with masking tape and leave it over night or longer until the glue completely dries.
The windshield on my plane was preformed in the kit (Great Planes) so I didn't have to do any cutting. Hope that answers your question.