Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Citabria Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Citabria Build

Old 02-02-2020, 03:09 PM
Starwolf2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready to cover the wing

It was a beautiful day today so I was able to get out in the garage and work on the Citabria. I started preparing to cover the wing by measuring the center section to cut a door in the bottom for the servo bay.

Next, I cut the opening and found that I was a little conservative and could have made the door a little wider. Therefore, I widened it a bit with my trusty x-acto knife.

My last task was to ensure the points of attachment

The lines drawn for cutting.

The cut door. You can see that it can be opened up more.

Points of attachment for jury struts.

Blocks for struts.
for the struts and jury struts were ok.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:46 PM
Starwolf2

Today I was able to start covering the wing! I started with the white color that covers the majority of the wing. I will add red to the wingtips later. I had a pretty good sized wrinkle in the top that I was concerned about. I thought I might have to redo the center section. However, I was very pleasantly surprised that the dryer got rid of it!

Marching on to the red!

This is the bottom of the wing.

This is the top view. No wrinkle!

Old 02-15-2020, 08:09 PM
Starwolf2

Default Covering the wing tip

I was able to cover the first wingtip today. This wingtip is more complex that the Sig 4 Star 60 that I previously built. The Citabria wingtip requires more patience and care when covering.

I started out by covering the bottom with red Monokote. I used an iron to attach the inward portion, and then went around the edges. After that, I cut tabs in the Monokote near the wingtip that I pulled on while I used a heating gun to apply the Monokote around the wingtip. I was very happy with how that worked.

Next, I repeated the process with the top portion of the wingtip. It went OK, but not as good as the bottom. The Monokote got a little stiff toward the end, leaving some ugly ridges. Also, I managed to put a nick in the Monokote when I was trimming the excess.

I hope to do the other wingtip tomorrow, hopefully with more success!

The top of the wingtip.

A closer view of the top.

The bottom of the wingtip in which the wrinkling/crackling of the Monokote and the cut are visible.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:14 AM
acdii

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Almost finished the wing on mine last night. Monokote is a joke after using Ultracote and the Hobby King covering. It does not stretch well at all and wrinkles way too easy. Same issues as you had with the edge wrinkling, but it came out 10' perfect and that's all that matters. I tried to use the monokote adhesive, made a mess as the color squeezed out, so went back to ironing it on. Now I have to get some acetone and clean up where it bled, bottom of the picture you can see it.

Old 02-16-2020, 05:06 PM
Starwolf2

ACDII, your wing looks good! I see that you have also installed the aileron hinges. My job for the coming week (?) will be to add the ailerons and the remaining stripes.

This is only my second kit. I think I used Monokote on the first one (a Sig 4 Star 60), but am not sure. That was more than 10 years ago.

Does the ultrakote use a lower temperature? Is that one of the things that makes it easier to work with?
Old 02-16-2020, 05:10 PM
Starwolf2

I added the red Monokote to the other side of the wing today. I started out using the same method as yesterday. I first tacked the covering on the bottom of the wing. Then, I used the iron to secure the perimeter of the covering and rolled it over a somewhat straight part of the wingtip. Next, I cut several strips to use as tabs to pull out the covering as I heated it with the dryer and pulled it around the curved portions of the wingtip. I was pretty satisfied with the end result.

Finished securing the perimeter.

Wrapped the covering around a straight portion of the tip and cut "pull tabs."

Top of the wing after I finished the bottom covering.

The bottom of the wingtip.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:22 PM
Starwolf2

I moved on with the project to attach the covering to the top of the second wingtip. I tried an experiment as I did it. In an attempt to reduce the amount of hardened, crinkled covering that wrapped over the bottom, I tried to attach the covering only using the iron. I did it, but I am not satisfied with the results. The surface of the tip is not as smooth as the first wingtip.

I have decided that I will not try this method again!

The completed wingtip from the side with the bottom of the wing facing up..

This is an enlarged version of the previous picture. It looks like the top covering looks a little better where it overlaps onto the bottom.

The top of the wingtip. You can see some wrinkles towards the front of the side.

An enlarged view to show off my mistakes!

My next plans are to attach the ailerons. However, I need to think about how it will be done as the ailerons will not be horizontal. The plans state that they must be angled upward and that they are to be installed towards the top of the aileron. Wish me luck!
Old 02-16-2020, 05:58 PM
acdii

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, the Ultracote is lower temp and the adhesive remains tacky once activated, unlike the monojoke. It also stretches much easier and doesn't crinkle like the plastic on packaging. From now on, either Hobby King or Ultracote for me, no more of the monokote.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:46 PM
Starwolf2

I have loosely attached the ailerons! Now, I can line up the rest of the red striping.