Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
 THE BIG WING BUILD ALONG >

THE BIG WING BUILD ALONG

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

THE BIG WING BUILD ALONG

Old 12-20-2009, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default THE BIG WING BUILD ALONG

There is a small group of Builders that have formed who intend to build large wing power gliders,slope soarers and Gliders There will be no posting of any work on a models till after Christmas,as some are under the Christmas tree. You are invited to post your intention to build along with us and nominate the type and name of your big winged aircraft. The purpose is to support and help each builder complete and fly their models. If you're young or old and on your first build this might be the right place to join the fun that we are going to have with photos and reports . There is no time limit to when you start or finish or the number of models you build we just ask that it has a large wing. Please note that ARF are out KIT AND PLAN BUILDERS only

The list of builders
1. QUIGLEYWINS........... 76"" Marks model.. Wanderer .............72'' Craft Air... Piece of Cake ............. 72'' The Big ''T''
2. EJAM ...................... 72'' Craft Air ......Piece of Cake
3. LIFTDUMP
4 planebuilder66 ............118'' The Bird of time
5. Scooterpilot...............132'' OLY111
6. Dumorian...................150'' Merlin
7. skylark flier.................118'' bird of time
Old 12-20-2009, 11:44 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: THE BIG WING BUILD ALONG

Hi everyone, My experience as builder is beginner with one build under my belt. I built the Dynaflite Butterfly. I have been flying rc for about 2 years now and own 7 or 8 planes.

My big wing build will be a Dynaflite Piece O' Cake that has a 72" wingspan. Hope that everyone from the butterfly build and others can join in on the fun.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:10 AM

Sounds like fun. I'm not much into gliders bt will love watching the excitement!

I'm subscribed to see this endeavor. Good luck!!! (I'll be watching!)

Brian
Old 12-21-2009, 05:50 AM

''Ilikebipes'' a warm welcome I hope your a man of your word . I intend to build a Marks model Wanderer 76'' wing span I have others to build on this thread but this is the first cab of the rank. I was a modler in the late 50s early 60s giving up for 40 years (not long if you say it quick) but I'm back. I'm still new to flying but not to building my major reason for this thread is to encourage modlers young and old to take up the challenge of building what they fly. Yours Paul T
Old 12-24-2009, 11:50 PM

Merry Christmas builders! I hope more people will join our big wing build! It dont need to be just a glider, just Big Wings.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:02 PM

Earl Building has started and like the time before I have started on the same as you the Piece of Cake which from this point on will be refered to as The Cake. I have in the last few minutes left the shed to post the first building post (the glue still wet) being boxing day there is lots on but the weather is windy so no point in thinking of flying,so back to the shed to have a solid day with the smells I love (glue).I will post some photos in the next break I have. The cake Kit arrived 2or3 days before the big red bloke . If any one wants to join us please do so. Yours Paul T PS I hope all had a great Christmas.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:30 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Hmm, I have a bird of time, and a MEN Gobbler, but the gobbler is kind of a trophy plane, I want to take my time building that one, making sure it's right and straight. So if I did join, it would be my BOT, in at 118" WS.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:31 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Does the OLYIII qualify?

http://www.skybench.com/index.html?h....com/home.html

Wing Span 132"
Old 12-25-2009, 11:05 PM

planebuilder66 The Bird of time Is most welcome. In fact I have one in a box over here which is on the list to build on this thread.
Scooterpilot With a wing span of 132'' I think it might just make it the one I started is only 72'' I'l put you on the list of builders,remember lots of photos and chat about your builds.Earl had far to much Christmas lunch or he'd be into welcome you as well. Lift dump been Gater hunting as he has'nt made the required appearence yet.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:05 PM

I'd say so, it's above my BOT or Gobbler. I need a sailplane for next season, the last time I flew sailplanes was in '95, so it would be nice to take a silent bird to the field once in a while.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:45 AM

Id like to welcome planebuilder66, and Scooterpilot to the big wing build.[8D] I havent started yet, due to lack of sleep. Christmas eve, got 2hrs sleep befor my kids woke me up to open presents. Then had to run to family diners. I got back home at 9pm and was going to fly my heli in the living room for a min and then start the build. But I only made it to a cup of coffee and the sofa and I was out. Woke up 3am and made it to the bed and out again. Today was spent taking my boys to exchange some games. So I maybe will start Sunday night on the Cake.
I will have to make a trip to the lhs for some glue.
Hope to see some pictures tomorrow night! p.s. Quigleywins, sorry about the heli talk, I know you are never going to give me a brake on that!

Have fun and joking is welcome!
Old 12-27-2009, 02:13 AM

I here you, the holidays wreck you inside and out, time is always going faster than you want it to. Take a deep breth and relax, there's no sense in rushing to enjoy building a plane.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:53 AM

Well I put some glue and balsa together and yes half the wing is formed . I have just loaded some photos of my Cake wing as I did make some alterations I hope you can see where I joined the top and bottom spars with light ply to form a box to allow a joiner to slide in side I'm yet to take a photo of the finished wing. I hope all had a great Christmas ,I did and the belt is now to small. I'l make more entries soon as I will start the build on the Wanderer As soon as the wing plan is of the building plate.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78143.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1342605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27985.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1342606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80025.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1342607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97697.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1342608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65328.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1342609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66181.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1342610  
Old 12-27-2009, 09:20 PM

The Cake Build
Well it's been a good night as the wing is now well under way, only the sheeting to complete and the method of joining the 4 sections. Sanding is completed on about half. Its 1pm so there is still lots of time but that temperature is on the rise. Yours Paul. T

Name:	Nk27979.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1343156  
Old 12-27-2009, 10:03 PM
My Feedback: (5)

At the speed you're building, it will be done be the new year is here.

Very nice
Old 12-27-2009, 10:17 PM

ejam, I might be a bit on the start of the BOT, currently I'm resheeting my topflite P-47 from top to bottom and glassing it. But I seem to be haulin azz in the resheeting phase. So like you said, if someone else or you have one as well, I'll build it as a duo. I got a few other big wing birds as well, but they are not gliders, warbirds, bipes and high wing classic kits from years ago.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:43 AM

planebuilder66,
Well, I dont have any warbird big wings. The only kits I have are the piece o cake, and the wanderer. We would like to see some pictures. I had planed on working on the cake, but my computer crashed. so the last 6 hours have been spent working on getting my computer going.
Well maybe I will have better luck tomorrow.[]
Old 12-28-2009, 12:54 PM

No, what I ment was I will be starting the BOT, just not yet, in the middle of redoing my old "47", then I'll plop the BOT on the boards.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:32 PM

Oh ok, sometimes I read too fast and get the wrong idea. I hope that I will be able to start tonight. My computer got a worm and was unable to remove it, so I had to format and new install.
Quigleywins, I see you are moving along pretty good!
Anybody hear from liftdump?
Old 12-29-2009, 01:15 AM

Wanderer build
Well I put the cake to bed for one or two days and have made the start on the old wanderer. As the kit I have had been played with before I needed to re-cut the ribs as the holes for the spars were to large. Anyway heres a look at the progress

Name:	Ec88862.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1344134  
Old 12-30-2009, 12:25 AM

Quigleywins, Im just starting the fuse! Will get pictures up shortly. What type of power plant are you going to use in the cake? I have a .049 cox or a parkzone 480 brushless outrunner. Thinking about going with the outrunner. I get tired of cleaning up the oily mess. I wonder if the cake will suffer from being tail heavy like its big brother butterfly? Well if it does, the outrunner and battery should be engough to balance it out, I hope.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:08 AM

Earl. I will be going with electric now as to what size, that question will be answered later. I posted more photos up the page on the wing construction. What I intend is building the 4 sections of wing and doing the covering then join them as is the method with ARF s I hope you can see what happning in the photos I'm yet to make the braces to Join the wings. I feel that will be stronger than the light ply braces they supply in the kit. This will also help with the covering as they will be a lot smaller and with the problems I'v had in the past I may be able to use some of the TF covering that I have so much of. Paul T Its 6:30 pm and the temp is still 34 C
Old 12-30-2009, 03:37 AM

Quigleywins, I need some of those orange rib guids you have. Who makes them, and where did you get them? I have been cutting the fuse formers. Im running into troubles with the stock wood, will need to make a trip to the hobby shop to get better wood. The fuse sides are good, its the sticks and ribs that are old and brittle.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:52 AM

The Wanderer Build
One great thing about building in the heat the old balsa glue drys real fast ,as you can see from the photos there is a fair bit completed . I made some larger braces in the centre to increase the wing strength in the centre

Name:	Xv64542.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	1344969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97080.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1344970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43606.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1344971  
Old 12-30-2009, 01:47 PM

Quigleywins,
At this rate, Im never going to be able to catch up. lol
I have three kits to last me all year long, the cake, the wanderer, and the skeeter. I may add one more kit to the list when taxes come in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.