Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
 RCM CESSNA 0-1E/L-19 BIRD DOG Build >

RCM CESSNA 0-1E/L-19 BIRD DOG Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

RCM CESSNA 0-1E/L-19 BIRD DOG Build

Old 05-20-2010, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCM CESSNA 0-1E/L-19 BIRD DOG Build

More progress!

I laid out the left flap on the building board. The tricky part there is making the trailing edge piece that goes on the wing in front of the flap. It starts as a piece of triangle stock, then gets trimmed on the bottom, beveled on the top, and rounded out on the angled face. I've got the first two steps done. I'm going to pull up the assembled flap and shape the leading edge of that at the same time I round out the trailing edge of the wing.

Second picture shows some old progress. I added some cross braces and installed the flexible pushrods. (The kind with a little carbon fiber so that it expands and contracts with environmental changes like the surrounding wood.)

Everything is dry fit right now and still needs glue.

Last weekend, I took on the main landing gear. (3rd picture) After installing the plywood block, I epoxied in two short pieces of 1x1 hardwood. (Probably should have used 1x1/2, but I had 1x1 on hand.) Then drilled it out for the wire gear and epoxied the gear in place.

Picture two and three are all details I have to deal with before I can start sheeting the bottom of the fuselage. Next step there is the tail wheel mount.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lj23636.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	1439590   Click image for larger version

Name:	nk27854.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1439591   Click image for larger version

Name:	lj23177.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	1439592  
Old 05-31-2010, 10:34 PM

I've been bad about posting, but I've managed to keep some slow but steady work going.

First picture is the center section of the wing. This involved making a hardwood block to fit directly in front of the trailing edge.

Next pict is the port wing being attached to the center section. Had to finish sheeting the bottom of the wing before I did this though.

The clamps on the outer trailing edge are me adding a reinforcement block where the hinges go.

Name:	Xv63963.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1446119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24387.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1446120  
Old 06-06-2010, 06:55 PM

One step back for every few forward with this build. I keep having problems with the fuselage formers separating. Here's the latest, the firewall! Plan to re-epoxy it tonight and then add some pegs (dowels) to hold it in place.

Name:	Xu62576.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	1449105  
Old 06-08-2010, 08:55 PM

I feel I should post my general complaints on the design here. Most of this would be easy to adapt to - so long as you know what to expect ahead of time!

1. I epoxied the doublers onto the fuselage sides. Once you do that, you have a fairly strong and stiff pieceof material. However, the formers on this aircraft create some very awkward bends that those reinforced sides really don't take to well. From looking at pictures of the real aircraft, some of those bends don't even seem necessary. The worst area is the bottom of the fuselage from the firewall to the former just behind the landing gear. It pinches in sharply there, placing stress on the firewall joint and the former just behind the gear. The stress there first broke the top of F2. There was too much stress pulling apart the top of this former caused by the pinch on the bottom. It snapped off. (There wasn't much wood there to hold it.) Next, the sides separated from F3 at the bottom where the pinch is at its worst. I had to re-sand, and re-glue that area twice, and I expect it finally held only when I added the landing gear block nearby. Finally, I got around to re-attaching the top of F2. I had to use clamps to pull the top sides together again, and that stress popped the firewall joint. (This joint, I think was one of the formers I initially installed at 90 degrees, so it was being pulled every which way by this point.) At this point, I expect I'm done with these issues, but it has been a little frustrating. Probably partly me not being used to making planes that aren't boxes, but I could see so many areas where the design could have been made easier.

2. The magazine article has you attaching a couple of the formers to one side at a 90 degree angle to start. This is a mistake! Most of the formers do not end up at 90 degrees, so this just puts more stress on the joint. You really need to make a jig to hold it upright while you glue both sides to one former at a time. One forum poster used a kit box, which I'll definitely try next time.

3. The formers have tabs in the center. This is nice, but no where near as nice as having tabs at the top and bottom. Tabs in the center help position them, but you still have to be very careful to keep them straight while attaching them. Tabs on the top and bottom (like on many modern kits) would have locked them into place perfectly without any fuss.

4. For some strange reason, the plywood center wing main spar doublers extend through the wing sheeting? Why?

5. There is no accounting for the fact that the bottom spars will stick out below the wing in the center. You either have to bend it, or shave it down a bit. With those generous doublers, I just shaved mine.

6. The horizontal stab install to the fuselage is awkward. The fuselage sides should have been extended up to support it.

7. The bottom of the vertical fin is just sheeting extended down past the lowest rib?

8. The rear edge of the wing in front of the ailerons is really too thin to support a hinge. I placed short doublers at the hinge locations, but I did forget this on the tail surfaces. Still haven't decided what to do about that.

9. I'm not a fan of bellcranks in the wing, but many designs feature these, so this is the least of my issues.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:34 PM

OK, my solution for the problem two posts above was to dowel the bottom. After the photo, I sawed them off flush and sanded them even with the side.

Name:	Rp42398.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1452616  
Old 06-13-2010, 06:38 PM

Last week, I epoxied the wing halves together. The picture below shows the front main spar doubler/dihedral brace being epoxied into place. After that, I framed up the short section of wing between the main spar and where it joins the fuselage. (The leading edge chunk of the center wing section is on the fuselage since the canopy extends into it.)

I'm now able to set a 70% finished wing on a similarly finished fuselage and sort of see a plane!

Name:	Bz77392.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1452618  
Old 06-21-2010, 08:41 PM

Yep, definitely plane like - finally.

I sheeted the front half of the wing, and otherwise, I have been attending to details like installing the piano wire between the elevator halves and working on the aileron electronics. Next big steps are sheeting the bottom of the fuselage and attending to the weird shaped trailing edge in front of the flaps.

Name:	Hf97937.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1456710  
Old 07-04-2010, 11:55 AM

Been slowly working on wiring up the wing. Here's how the aileron servos fit - from both sides.

Name:	Qn38215.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1462928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82204.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1462929  
Old 07-04-2010, 11:57 AM

Also, just starting on planking the bottom of the fuselage today.

Name:	Qo40675.jpg
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	1462930  
Old 07-06-2010, 10:54 PM

Yesterday, I finally got around to finishing up the shaping on the rear edge of the wing in front of the flaps. In order to get scale motion, you have to create a rounded out cove. On hardwood, I'd use a router for this shape, but that seemed like a bad idea for balsa wood. I decided to whittle it close and then use a large dowel with stick-on sand paper to get the final shape. Worked good, but it was too much work!

Today, I made my final decision on how to install the hinges. The plans call for a custom fabricated brass piece. I just figured that would be a bad idea for me, so I decided to try and use Robart hinges instead. Unfortunately, I need the hinge point to be pretty far aft of the trailing edge. I decided to install some small hard wood blocks that will hold the hinges out that far.

Name:	Sq48373.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1464400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94508.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1464401  
Old 07-12-2010, 03:36 PM

I built up the other flap, and I'm adding the sheeting to the flaps now. I also added three little chunks of wood to accept the Robart hinge. I was going to have the hinge angle back into the leading edge of the flap, but that meant the hinge would have to rotate more than it was capable.

Name:	Om32291.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1466730  
Old 07-13-2010, 01:24 PM

And, just over a week later, I put the last piece of planking on the bottom of the fuselage.

I learned a bit doing that. I started out assuming the planks would all be constant width, and finished up having to taper almost every single one to get them around the weird curves on the bottom of this plane.

Pros and Cons of planking?

Con:
1. Time consuming to do. Almost every piece has to be custom cut.
2. Planks will never align to a smooth surface. At best the surface will be faceted. At worst, you may get huge ridges where the pieces don't quite align.
3. Heavier than a sheeting.
4. Probably will need to use some balsa filler to get it smooth.

Pro:
1. Can do any combination of gentle curves.
2. Can sand down fairly smooth. (I expect you could get near perfection if you glassed over them.)
3. Not as hard to clamp in place as wider balsa sheeting can be.

Alternatives:
1. Blue foam (Not structurely strong, but easy to shape, still needs some kind of thick filler or sheeting on top to avoid a foam look.)
2. Solid balsa (Strong, but heavy. Relies on builder's carving skill.)
3. Composite (molded fiberglass - very time consuming, but probably the best results as well.)
4. Anything I missed??

I've been using my X-acto knife to whittle away at the ridges. It looks like despite my inexperience with this, it should come out looking nicely.

Name:	Pn37017.jpg
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1467369  
Old 07-16-2010, 08:18 PM

Think I finally figured out a pushrod setup for the flaps. I'm trying the red/yellow sullivan flexible rods, but holding and gluing it in place was a nightmare.

I normally hate those plastic rods, but in this case, all their cons seem mute and the pros seem to work perfectly. (I really really hate bellcranks.)

Name:	Sq47056.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1468868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16552.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1468869  
Old 07-25-2010, 09:18 PM

Been a little bad about posting progress on this, but things have been moving forward.

1. I've mounted the engine onto the firewall. The picture shows the round shim I installed to give the engine a little right thrust.

2. I've installed the fuel tank and some servo rails.

3. And, I installed the tiny 2-56 T-Nuts (Blind nuts) that accept the bolt for the wing strut. I should read the instructions better - because I clearly should've installed those long before now!

Wing is moving forward as well. I finished the flap pushrods on both sides - including adding one more wood bracket two rib bays inboard to hold the flex cable in place. I'm ready to start putting the last bits of sheeting on the wing tonight.

Name:	Bz77586.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	1473457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39065.jpg
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1473458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76305.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1473459  
Old 08-01-2010, 02:42 PM

My weekly Bird Dog update:

1. Wing is sheeted. I epoxied on the solid balsa wing tips I cut from a 1" x 2" block using a xerox'd template. The wing needs a few final details - a little center sheeting, wing bolts, port flap area TE, blind nuts for the wing strut, and carving and sanding.

2. I started planking the top of the forward fuselage and working on the cowl. I taped off where I need to trim the rear of the cowl. Now to guess where the engine pokes through. Anyone know a good technique for this?? Anyway, fuselage is even closer to finished. Just need to do the wing mount (dowels and bolts), the stab saddle (I carved one, need to epoxy it on), a little solid balsa around the tail wheel mount and I'm basically ready to cover. I was thinking I'd also spray some OD green on the wood near where a cockpit would go if I had planned to do one.

Name:	Pn37001.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1476469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84753.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1476470  
Old 08-04-2010, 09:05 PM

Got my fiberglass cowl mostly cut to shape with appropriate holes for the engine.

I was hoping for a tighter fit around the head of the engine. However, I honestly don't see how I'd be able to get it on and off with the hole even a tiny bit smaller.

Name:	Pz77689.jpg
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1478237  
Old 08-14-2010, 03:53 PM

Been working on final fit of the wing control surfaces and lots and lots of sanding. The wing tips are shaped, and I installed the wing bolt and dowel.

Name:	Nk27812.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1483878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15452.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1483879  
Old 08-15-2010, 07:38 AM

Woke up early and got onto a couple things I've been putting off for a while now.

In assembling the wing, I forgot to add a small piece of 1/8 plywood to which the wing strut attachs. Sigh,... But, I can usually count on making a couple mistakes like this per build.

However, it turns out it probably would not have helped to do this earlier anyway. See, 1/8 plywood is flat and the bottom of the wing is not. In fact, had I added it before sheeting, I would not have noticed that the blind nut would end up about 1/8 shy of the sheeting.

So, now, I have to cut out the slot in the wing sheeting, cut the plywood piece, drill for the blind nut and figure out how to make the plywood shaped like the bottom of the wing.

I opted to stack two pieces of plywood, sandwich the blind nut (holding it in!), and then add some 1/8 balsa filler to the most curved area that I can sand to shape. Here are the first few pieces ready for assembly:

Name:	Vt56143.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1484158  
Old 08-21-2010, 12:54 PM

Wing is nearly ready to cover! Just need to fill a little and sand a tiny bit more.

The wing strut attachment points blended in great.

I'm also doing some tweaking to the flaps to get the leading edges to the right shape to match the swing arc.

Just got the next short kit in the mail, so it's time to get it done!

Name:	Cz79742.jpg
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1487698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60983.jpg
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1487699  
Old 08-21-2010, 01:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Nergall

And, just over a week later, I put the last piece of planking on the bottom of the fuselage.

I learned a bit doing that. I started out assuming the planks would all be constant width, and finished up having to taper almost every single one to get them around the weird curves on the bottom of this plane.

Pros and Cons of planking?

Con:
1. Time consuming to do. Almost every piece has to be custom cut.
2. Planks will never align to a smooth surface. At best the surface will be faceted. At worst, you may get huge ridges where the pieces don't quite align.
3. Heavier than a sheeting.
4. Probably will need to use some balsa filler to get it smooth.

Pro:
1. Can do any combination of gentle curves.
2. Can sand down fairly smooth. (I expect you could get near perfection if you glassed over them.)
3. Not as hard to clamp in place as wider balsa sheeting can be.

Alternatives:
1. Blue foam (Not structurely strong, but easy to shape, still needs some kind of thick filler or sheeting on top to avoid a foam look.)
2. Solid balsa (Strong, but heavy. Relies on builder's carving skill.)
3. Composite (molded fiberglass - very time consuming, but probably the best results as well.)
4. Anything I missed??

I've been using my X-acto knife to whittle away at the ridges. It looks like despite my inexperience with this, it should come out looking nicely.

Hi Nergall,
You asked "anything I missed". There is a thing called Liquid Sheet that can be applied over foam and will produce a very smooth and ding resistant surface that can be painted with any kind of paint including solvent based paints. Since it is a liquid, compound curves are no issue.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:14 PM

And where would one find this Liquid Sheet???
Old 08-21-2010, 02:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Mako17

And where would one find this Liquid Sheet???
Here is the link http://www.wowplanes.com/product_inf...8c798c40861047

Old 08-21-2010, 09:44 PM

Thought I covered that with, "1. Blue foam (Not structurely strong, but easy to shape, still needs some kind of thick filler or sheeting on top to avoid a foam look.)"

Liquid sheet would qualify as "thick filler" I believe? I was thinking of you, I just didn't want to get into specific product placement.

I haven't used "Liquid Sheet", but it sounds interesting.

Btw, has anyone put some noise makers in that large B26 model of yours? The special thing about twin bombers for me is listening to those two engines harmonizing together! I know electric means not worrying about an emergency landing with one engine, but the sound is just too disappointing for me.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:26 PM

So close I can taste it!

Here's the nose end complete but for a little sanding. The red line marks where the windshield should land

Name:	Sq46200.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	1490859  
Old 08-27-2010, 09:41 AM

Hey thanks for the links, might have to give it a try

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.