Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

RCM CESSNA 0-1E/L-19 BIRD DOG Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

RCM CESSNA 0-1E/L-19 BIRD DOG Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 04:47 AM
corsair647

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCM CESSNA 0-1E/L-19 BIRD DOG Build

Thanks very much for your reply. I have looked at the Vailly kit and understand your suggestion. As much as I would, I have to stay away from larger engines. I ordered the cowl but had a question about the windows? Do you have to mold the plastic into shape or is there a place it can be ordered? If not, can someone explain how to accomplish this task? Sorry to bother you with questions, I guess I'm a leach when it comes to the L-19. I will be building a jig, thanks for the suggestion!

Best regards,
Fred

Old 10-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Nergall

I bought flat plastic from Balsa USA and just held my covering iron close for a couple seconds where it needed to make particularly sharp bends.

And, yeah, I built this one to avoid the large plane cost and transportation hassle myself. But, I kinda regret not taking the plunge anyway.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Mooney_driver

ORIGINAL: Nergall

Well, I wasn't planning on posting this build until I saw someone here complaining about most of the build threads being the same small set of kits. (Guilty! I have a 4*, an Ugly Stick, and a Kadet Senior!)

Plus, this built looks considerably more complicated than I've done before, so I might need a little help!

Anyway, here's a link to the plans:

http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=2003
Nice build thread. Ihave posted wantes for this plane from time to time. Flying Models had a plan about a year ago but it was for a 1/2A electric.

One of my first planes was an L19 that another club member built and sold to me. Ithink it was made from a Sig kit. It might have been a J3 that he converted but do remember it as from a Sig kit in the late 70's.

Thank you for the build thread.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Nergall

Old 10-11-2011, 09:54 AM
corsair647

I have the Bob Rich 72" Bird Dog short kit coming.  What I need to know is where can I find DECALS or tranfers with the correct font,style, color & size for the MARINES  version?  Or is there any particular person that actually cuts out special orders?

Fred

Old 10-14-2011, 06:17 AM
Nergall

I built the Army version, but I still laid out the decals myself and then had a fellow club member cut the vinyl for me.

There are a ton of online services that do this - some of which may have the designs already on file. Check the advertisers in Model Aviation?

Good luck on your build!
Old 10-17-2011, 06:19 AM
corsair647

Does anyone know where I can find an RCM back issue April 1995 featuring Bob Rich on the front cover with his Cessna L-19?  I would be willing to pay a reasonable cost for this back issue.

Thanks,
Fred
Old 10-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Nergall

RCM should have sent you a xerox of it with your plans. If not, send them an e-mail. Many of the plans services forget.