Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Please direct me to an online store that will ship a SIG kit to Australia

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Please direct me to an online store that will ship a SIG kit to Australia

Old 01-27-2010, 05:56 PM
CustomPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please direct me to an online store that will ship a SIG kit to Australia

Hi,

I've decided that a SIG 1/5 Piper Cub will be my next project however SIG kits are very hard to come by here in Australia.

I usually order these sort of things from Tower however SIG seems to have dissappeared entirely from Tower's website.

So, if you know of an on-line SIG stockist who will ship to Australia can you please let me know.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:24 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Please direct me to an online store that will ship a SIG kit to Australia

Check with www.advantagehobby.com

I think they will ship to Oz for you, but I'm not 100% sure. A quick call to them should verify if they will.

Also, have you called Sig themselves?? They are shipping a lot of their own product since Tower stopped carrying them.

Ken
Old 01-27-2010, 06:29 PM
bubba153

Default RE: Please direct me to an online store that will ship a SIG kit to Australia

Have you tried www.sigmfg.com ?

I've bought directly from them in the past, and I don't see why they wouldn't ship to Australia, though it may be pricey.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:45 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Ok I just went on www.sigmfg.com and looked at their shipping information. Here's what it says.

International Shipments:
The shipping and handling charge is $8.99, plus the actual postage amount.
US Ground Shipments:
The shipping and handling charge is $8.99 which is subtracted when invoiced if the order total is over $150.
The USA shipping surcharge for large box items (noted on the order) will be added when invoiced.
Gallon size containers of hazardous materials such as SIG fuel and Supercoat Dope products, will incur a $25.00 per carton "Hazmat Fee", which will be charged to the customer.
They say $8.99 for International Shipments. So I'm pretty sure they would ship to you.

Ken
Old 01-27-2010, 06:46 PM
CustomPC

Thanks for the replies.

I checked the Advantage website but the 1/5 scale cub is not listed.

I can use the Sigmfg website as a last resort. I hoping a dealer will at least offer some discount (Atlanta's prices are 33% off for other SIG kits).

A clubmate ordered a Four Star 1.20 ARF from SIG and was charged full retail price + $300 shipping. I'm sure a kit will be less to ship.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:52 PM
dsteele234

Why not look at Ebay. The kit you want should be available quite frequently. Kits there usually sell 60 - 75% of retail cost, Most sellers will ship overseas, and Ebay strongly tries to prevent overcharges on shipping....to the point where I as a seller usually lose a buck or two on shipping costs. Furthermore, the USPS has a website (usps.com) that I use to calculate shipping when an ebay bidder asks about international shipping....you could check it out yourself to get an estimate of costs. I have never shipped to Australia, but shipments to several European coutries have worked well for me
Old 01-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Scooterpilot
My Feedback: (5)

Clarification:

Just to clear up Sig's shipping is an additional $8.99 added to the actual postage amount. There could be big difference between the actual postage and just the additional cost.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:45 PM
CustomPC

I got replies to my emails.

Advantage won't ship internationally.

SIG are out of stock and will want $190 to ship the kit in Feb. That's more than the retail price of the kit so i will have to consider it.

The other option is the Great Planes .40 size cub which is available here. It sells for twice the price that i've seen it advertised for in the US but it would still be $130 cheaper after shipping costs are factored in.

Is the SIG kit worth a premium of $130?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:55 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I just went to UPS's website to compute the cost to ship from me to you, and it comes out to just about $190. I thought I'd do a good thing and help you out by shipping it to you. Unfortunately that doesn't look like it would save any money at all. It would cost the same for me to ship it to you. Actually it would cost more because we'd have to pay for Sig to send it to me first. Sorry

Ken

Old 01-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Live Wire

CustomPC
Have you considered getting a set of plan's and scratch building it. Really not that hard once you get started. Save a lot of expense.
Larry K
Old 01-28-2010, 06:48 PM
CustomPC

That's ok.

Thanks for trying Ken.

I was thinking along similar lines. I have a Brother-in-law in Boston and considered getting him to send it but it looks like there will be no $$ saved that way.

I will go with the Great Planes kit i think.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:50 PM
CustomPC

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

CustomPC
Have you considered getting a set of plan's and scratch building it. Really not that hard once you get started. Save a lot of expense.
Larry K

No i don't have the time, inclination or skills to scratch build yet.

The laser cutting of the SIG kit is the big appeal for me.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:53 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: CustomPC

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

CustomPC
Larry K

No i don't have the time, inclination or skills to scratch build yet.

The laser cutting of the SIG kit is the big appeal for me.
Are there any kit cutters in Australia that could laser cut you a kit from the plans???

Ken
Old 01-28-2010, 07:26 PM
CustomPC

There is, but he charges an hourly rate to draft the paper plans into CAD so it would actually cost more unless he could amortize the cost of the drafting into several kits, but that becomes a copyright and licence issue because i'm sure SIG would not authorize anyone doing that.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:52 AM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My hobby guy will ship to you. 1-888-475-5082

Tell him Tom from Revelstoke sent you. [8D]
Old 01-31-2010, 06:12 AM
tassiemark

A couple of years ago I used to get SIG kits from RCwarehouse up in Queensland and at great prices too,its a shame they stopped getting them and of course they arent even trading as of a month ago.I doubt that any Australian importers will pick up SIG products (especially as they seem to have difficulties supplying even their domestic market at the moment)which is a real shame,that really only leaves Great Planes and Balsa USA in kitform coming to our shores these days.Excuse my rant but here in Australia it will become hard for kit builders just starting out to get a good 1st,2nd and even third kit to build up their skills with.I am just glad they were available when I needed them.Great Planes kits are WAY overpriced here, over $300 for an Ultrasport 60 kit is norm now which as our dollar nudges closer to par with the US dollar is a bitter pill to swallow! Especially as our local balsa from PNG is far lighter and of considerably higher grade than what I have found GP includes in theirs.So for me now that I have the experience behind me it is time to pick out some plans from the thousands available,buy some balsa,track down a canopy that will suffice and go for it and the money that I save from not buying an overpriced kit down here can go towards a new nifty bit of workshop gear or some scroll saw blades!
Of course a bargain on Fleabay is worth two in the bush however!
Just my five cents worth CustomPC, good luck and hopefully you get hold of your Cub kit!
Tassiemark
Old 01-31-2010, 08:20 AM
Sandmann_AU

I have to second Tassiemark's comments - I bought RC Warehouse's second last kit (a GP Super Skybolt), and I know they were having problems getting stock from their Canadian "parent store". The big problem with getting kits out of the USA at a reasonable price is that USPS (United States Postal Service) has a small size limit (80 inches I think?) on international parcels that's a few inches less than most kit boxes, and UPS/FedEx etc charge through the nose for international deliveries.

I may have found us Aussies a loop-hole... Canada's postal service has a much more generous size limit on parcels (120 inch from memory)... the problem with this is finding a Canadian retailer who'll ship overseas and who stocks kits. I found RC Warehouse's "parent" but at the time they were refusing to ship to us because they had a local franchise - maybe they'll change their mind now. Can't remember their name, but will see if I can find out.

If anyone's got any better ideas I'd love to hear them. I've thought about getting a bunch of Aussies together to buy a bunch of stuff, and trying to get someone in the USA to receive all the stuff and put it in a container to bring here - it might be worth it if we can get enough numbers, but it'd take a lot of trust etc and take a while to ship out here.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:37 PM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

I thing that most of Us take our kit suppliers in this country for granted (USA).
Old 02-01-2010, 05:24 AM
Merlin65

Try here. http://www.the436modelshop.co.nz

Prices and stock levels are on the website and the Aussie dollar is always way stronger than the Kiwi. Goods usually arrive in a couple of days.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:59 AM
CustomPC

Hey Merlin65, thanks for the link.

I've sent them an email.

The other option is that my company has an office in Auckland and there's always staff travelling between Sydney and Auckland. In fact i might even be heading over myself in a couple of months.

I'll definately keep them in mind.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:03 AM
Merlin65

Happy to help. If you are not successful with them, also try Airsail, another kiwi company that handles Sig kits.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Sandmann_AU

ORIGINAL: Merlin65

Try here. http://www.the436modelshop.co.nz

Prices and stock levels are on the website and the Aussie dollar is always way stronger than the Kiwi. Goods usually arrive in a couple of days.
Hey, excellent.. thanks I can see a 1/4 scale Spacewalker in my future - the perfect home for my now homeless twin cylinder 1.60 4 stroke.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:42 AM
CustomPC

I wonder if it would be cheaper to combine the shipping for both kits?
Old 02-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Sandmann_AU

I'm not talking immediate future... maybe foreseeable future but more likely distant future. I've currently got a Top Flite Corsair and a CMP DeHavilland Mosquito both waiting to be finished, a veranda being built on my house, and a trip overseas in just under two weeks on the go. You could call me over-stretched right now.