Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Forgive me, for I have sinned.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Forgive me, for I have sinned.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 05:44 PM
GaryHarris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forgive me, for I have sinned.

I had thoughts of buying an ARF. [:@]

Whats your story?
Old 02-24-2010, 05:57 PM
qldviking

Default RE: Forgive me, for I have sinned.

An ARF???? Thats sacriledge [:@] [sm=lol.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=lol.gif] Seriosly tho after the last 2 (B)ARFs I wont ever buy one again[:'(] Altough I gotta admit I did enjoy browsing Composite Arfs website
Old 02-24-2010, 05:58 PM
huck1199

I buy arfs to play with as throw away planes.  I love to build and do.  But if I have the gear handy for a cheap arf that is something I would like to experiment with then I go for it. I buy the cheap ones - less than $100.  They give me something to fly while I work on a nice build.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Mako17

Now days their isn't much choice but to buy ARF's, all the good kits are NO MORE!!

Richard
Old 02-24-2010, 06:21 PM
tarvma02
My Feedback: (3)

I build a ton and keep planes I build for many many years (I have one that's 15 years old). ARFs are perfect as disposable airplanes. Go right ahead and practice those REALLY low inverted passes,etc. If you crash, who cares.

Mike
Old 02-24-2010, 06:33 PM
qldviking

While the hobbyshops are getting more and more patheticwith what they stock, its surprising how many new kit are slowly and steadily comming along offering new and better kits. Whilst admittedly the kits are more in the 60 size and up I have found that the more I look the morre I find. Even Fleabay seems to have more kits on in recent months although thats sporadic. The way I see it though, is that local hobbyshops are no longer interested in stocking anything for serious builders/fliers, they are only interested in what will sell before it even gets to the shelves so-to-speak. Its gotten to the point here that all my RC shopping is done online, and usually in the US or through a couple of reputable sites in Hong Kong or Singapore, and despite the shgipping I get it cheaper, and with good service both buying and after. What I do look for is a site/shop with live online service, to me thats shows they are there for you.
Are kits dead? Not by any means. What has changed is the way you find and buy them.

Just a thought, there seems to be a decent deand for kits, maybe if all kit builders spoke with some of the bigger hobby shops? Get them to stock some locally produced kits?
Old 02-24-2010, 06:34 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: huck1199

I buy arfs to play with as throw away planes. I love to build and do. But if I have the gear handy for a cheap arf that is something I would like to experiment with then I go for it. I buy the cheap ones - less than $100. They give me something to fly while I work on a nice build.

Thats kind of what I'm tossing around in that empty space of mine called a skull. I have all the extra gear sitting around including a Saito 100 doing nothing but gathering dust. Im flying a kit built 4*40 and have a BUSA Eindecker 90 on the board right now and probably won't be finished with that for another 6 months, so starting another kit right now isn't an option. But being the compulsive/addictive RCer that I am, I want another plane, and I want it now! [X(]

Something else my flying buddy and I were talking about last weekend. I mentioned how "Tight" I am flying my planes that I have built. Allthough I am fairly new to flying, I haven't crashed yet. I know eventually I will. That may be why I am seeking sacrificial balsa, I dunno.

Thinking of H9 Pulse XT-60. Not cheap though.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:34 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't tell anyone, I have one cheap foam Corsair that I throw in the truck that I can fly anywhere. The only ARF's I would consider buying are like this plane, something small just to throw around. I love to build too much to get into ARF's.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

Whats your story?
Do you still have the Hobbico Super Star and GP Big Stick ARF's....?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:15 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings

Whats your story?
Do you still have the Hobbico Super Star and GP Big Stick ARF's....?

lol, you pay attention! No.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: huck1199

I buy arfs to play with as throw away planes. I love to build and do. But if I have the gear handy for a cheap arf that is something I would like to experiment with then I go for it. I buy the cheap ones - less than $100. They give me something to fly while I work on a nice build.

Thats kind of what I'm tossing around in that empty space of mine called a skull. I have all the extra gear sitting around including a Saito 100 doing nothing but gathering dust. Im flying a kit built 4*40 and have a BUSA Eindecker 90 on the board right now and probably won't be finished with that for another 6 months, so starting another kit right now isn't an option. But being the compulsive/addictive RCer that I am, I want another plane, and I want it now! [X(]

Something else my flying buddy and I were talking about last weekend. I mentioned how ''Tight'' I am flying my planes that I have built. Allthough I am fairly new to flying, I haven't crashed yet. I know eventually I will. That may be why I am seeking sacrificial balsa, I dunno.

Thinking of H9 Pulse XT-60. Not cheap though.
Good morning biff...yep you have sinned,just trying to remember which of the ten commandments says it ain't a good idea to talk about yourself so much and if you took all the "eyes" out it would save some space!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:20 PM
gunneredwards
My Feedback: (4)

Can you list a few of the overseas sites to get kits?
dan
Old 02-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All you have to do is click on your name and go back and read a few of your posts...

I like to build as well but ARF's have thier place. Like in your case where you wanted to get back into the hobby so you bought a couple ARF's to "get your wings".

Now you build and that's GREAT but it's hardly a sin to purchase a model airplane of any kind.

Just my opinion...
Old 02-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Rudolph Hart

Spot on mate
Old 02-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mako17

Now days their isn't much choice but to buy ARF's, all the good kits are NO MORE!!

Richard
A lot of kits are gone but there are still a lot of them out there if you look. If not then build from plans. ARFs, I bought one once. I was the forth owner, it was a Creek 1/4 scale Extra 300. I bought it to get used to flying bigger high performance planes. Then I went from it to bigger planes and sold it to another pilot, he had the same reason as I did. It worked out well for me and if something happened to it I didn't care. I also got my money back from it. ARFS have there place in life. That was the only one I owned myself but I have assembled a bunch of them for others.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:01 PM
dhal22

i've spent 2 years on this plane (built from plans, not a kit) . in the mean time i have to have something to fly so i buy rtf arfs. it works well for me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19948.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1386141  
Old 02-24-2010, 09:16 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Whats your story?
You sinned? I bought an ARf last night. I have about 6 or more unfinished projects (kits), but nothing to fly. [&o]
Old 02-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Wolflord

I am sorry for I have too sinned and bought the "ARF"
My sin was 3 years ago when I bought a PTS p51.
Then when it crashed and I had to put it all back together and make it better I realized my error.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:42 PM
andrew66

im with ya. im thinking of an arf. mainly cause im in a hotel room, and want a new plane for the new season. its not all bad. but i would waaaaay rather build!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Gray Beard

Now see, it's not really a sin, maybe just stepping over the line a little to the dark side, just a little. This year I just built my first electric powered plane, that's almost a step over the line too. Sometimes wiggling a toe or two into the dark is a lot of fun!! Just make sure you go no farther then your knee cap!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:21 AM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Hobbico Twinstar ARF. I couldn't ask for a nicer plane to assemble and fly. A complete joy. ALL parts fit perfectly and exactly. But the one fault (my bad, but a good bad) I installed 2 ST 40 engines. Great power but I had to add a "baggage compartment" behind the cabin area to install the receiver battery to acheive balance. Just a great design all the way. BTW I do build from scratch and kits as well. That is stress theropy for me. Time to kick back in my own world and play.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77163.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	1386519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86518.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	1386520  
Old 02-25-2010, 01:32 PM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ARFs I have a 1/4 scale electric RV, a GP gas powered Curtiss Hawk biplane and a Electric Telemaster (40 size) all ARF all great models. Of course I am building a Fokker DVIII and rehabbing a Morane A1 1/3 scale at the same time, since I like to build, but when it is nice, I like to spend the time at the field, not in the shop:-) I think that peole that only use ARF's might be missing some fun, the same way that people that only build might. As I grew older I came to relize that ALL extremes are bad:-)

You have not sinned, it is called having fun!

Come to the dark side, we have cookies...

Gerry
Old 02-25-2010, 01:34 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: TLH101

Whats your story?
You sinned? I bought an ARf last night. I have about 6 or more unfinished projects (kits), but nothing to fly. [&o]
I realized that when you buy kits, they go th the "to be built line", when you buy ARFs they go straight to the flight line...
So, for me, the best thing to do is find the perfect mix, the ideal ratio, and that is subjective.

Gerry
Old 02-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

So buying or thinking of buying an arf is a venial sin and not a moral sin. The venial sin of buying an arf does not set you on a path of not kit building. With repentance you will kit build again. If you stop kit building and completely buy arfs, than it is a moral sin of kit building. Amen.

I gave up buying arfs for lent.

Jim

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Now see, it's not really a sin, maybe just stepping over the line a little to the dark side, just a little. This year I just built my first electric powered plane, that's almost a step over the line too. Sometimes wiggling a toe or two into the dark is a lot of fun!! Just make sure you go no farther then your knee cap!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Gray Beard

COOKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.