Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

unusual servo connectors

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

unusual servo connectors

Old 03-25-2010, 07:38 AM
Scratchie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unusual servo connectors

I bought a plane built in 1991 with unusual servo connectors - see pic. Any thoughts about cutting off the connector and soldering on Futaba so I can re-use my servos from another plane?. Wire colors are orange, green and yellow, does anyone know for sure which one's go with the Futaba red, black and white?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71479.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1404451  
Old 03-25-2010, 07:57 AM
gthrone

Default RE: unusual servo connectors

looks like futaba, I used them in 1983
Old 03-25-2010, 08:10 AM
Scratchie

I just realized that since I have to cut off both ends of the conncetors, it doesn't matter what wire goes with which as long as they'er the same on each end - duh!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:07 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

The connector shown is "Deans".

Les
Old 03-25-2010, 12:03 PM
gunneredwards
My Feedback: (4)

I dont understand why you will cut both ends of the wires... as far as the connections, you can soldier any connector on that will fit the rx. Just ensure you have a good soldier joint and use some heatshrink for insulation.
dan
Old 03-25-2010, 12:06 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

The connector shown is ''Deans''.

Les
WOW really?
http://www.wsdeans.com/products/plugs/micro_plug.html

not likely.

to the original poster you might post something about this in the futaba support forums. you might find that the wires wont just connect to a modern radio because servos typically have a 3 wire configured with + - and signal. airtronics up till recently had the signal wire in a different position than other manufacturers. make sure you know the wire positions before attempting to plug it into a modern radio. not sure if futaba has always had the same locations for its wires ie + - and signal. might dig around for some information there.

i know the plugs were different but not sure what wiring differences but here is a FAQ from futabas website;
What is the difference between a "G" or "J" connector? What about other brands of servos? Can I use them with my Futaba system?

Most older Futaba radio systems use a "G" plug. It's called a G plug because, well, it looks kind of like a G, with a 90 degree hook at the exposed metal pins. These were replaced with J plugs in roughly 1991. The J plugs are just a straight down plug which has a small key on one end to keep you from accidentally plugging in your servos backward. This is an important safety feature unique to Futaba, as plugging in a servo backwards may do damage not only to the servo but also potentially to the receiver. Many other manufacturers now also use a very similar plug, but without the safety tab. Hobbico's U (universal connector), JR's, Hitec's S, and Airtronics Z plugs are all compatible for use in Futaba radios. Futaba J servos are likewise compatible with all these other brands of receiver IF you shave off the safety key.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:16 PM
hellcat 1

Sure looks like the 3 pin deans I have used for years. They also made a 4 pin. Ace receivers used them for a long time. I have several of them in my shop. I can take a pic if you would like.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:05 PM
hsubman
My Feedback: (1)

I think you are correct Hellcat. I used Deans connectors too, back when you had to make up your own extensions or replace a connector on a servo lead. You must be an old timer also. LOL

John
Old 03-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Live Wire

Looks like the old EK set up. The reciever had wires running out as well as the servo's. That is why he would change both ends
Old 03-26-2010, 09:15 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Old timer is right. Those are the "original" Deans connectors; as in when they first appeared on the scene.

Les
Old 03-26-2010, 01:16 PM
hellcat 1

Scracthie, You didn't really say, but by you saying you could cut both ends off, these must have just been extensions that were already installed in the plane and you wanted to reuse the wires. As you say the only thing you need to worry about is keeping the colors the same on both ends. World Engines (Does anyone remember their radios?) and Ace both used a different color for the signal wire for different channels as each channel was brought out of the receivers and ended in a female plug. Ace used Deans plugs and World engines used one of their own design. In both cases the wires were soldered to the plugs. They both used Black (negative) and Red (positive) with colors like blue, green, orange, and etc for the signal lead. On the deans plugs the signal wire went to the end of the plug that had the indentation on it and red went in the middle. Look like the one you pictured, green would have been the negative. Orange the positive and the white wire was for the signal. I guess rc modeling for 37 years does make me an oldtimer.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:33 PM
hellcat 1

Here are some pictures of receivers and their various plugs from years past. They are the old Futaba, a World Engines receiver, and an Ace receiver. The World receiver has a Deans plug for the battery connector and I think I probably put that on there. The Futaba was really downtown with the plug block to plug into.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92199.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1405477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49951.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1405478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45258.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1405479  
Old 03-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Campgems

It's more than just changing ends. Those old servos had a different sample rate.Futaba used to offer an adaptor from the three pin to the newer (How many years has it been) J conector. it was labled as a converter from one rate to the other. My suggestion is to file them away in the neat old stuff to save and spend $6 to $10 on some replacements.

If you have a full radio set of that vintage, and it is on a legal frequency, then use it. Just make sure it is a gold lable narrow band TX though.

Don