Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Any info on this kit?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Any info on this kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 06:30 PM
drube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any info on this kit?

Hey guys,
I picked up this HOB P-51 kit and would like to know how old it is,how's the build, and how does it fly. The decals say Candy Man and it looks to bea complete kit. I checked everywhereand cant find a date. I wouldalsolike to stay away from CA on this one and try something else Like Tight Bond or something.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63467.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1416976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95098.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1416977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh12134.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1416978  
Old 04-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Any info on this kit?

They still make it but as i recall there is a different photo on the box now?? Trick, get yourself a four year old with small hands to help hold things. Use control line bell cranks to get a straighter shot at the aileron control rods.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The last time I seen this kit offered for sale was either late 80's early 90s. I didn't realize HOB still sold the kit. I have one of my own NIB. They also sale this with afiberglass fuse. To me its a collecos kit if you can find one. I have built this kit b4, not bad and a good flyer.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:14 AM
drube

Thanks guys,
I picked it up used for $40. I didn't think this model was still available I couldn't find it anywhere. Would a OS 46AX be to much for it? It does say from a 25 to 40 on the box.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:17 AM
drube

Use control line bell cranks to get a straighter shot at the aileron control rods.
Gray sorry for being a newb but Huh?? lol

Old 04-13-2010, 04:16 PM
whatiwork4
My Feedback: (51)

use a single servo and torgue rods your are thinking of the 20 size that used nyrods.I built one of these in 83,used a k$b 40 it does the perfect victory roll. I belive the wing area is 450 sq" so a 46 would be way over what this was designed for,a current .36 should be perfect.keep the weight under 5 pounds.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ax72830.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1417529  
Old 04-14-2010, 09:59 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scan the graphics and copy the plans and parts for future reference. Pour rock hard plaster of paris into the canopy to make a 'plug' so you can pull another if needed. Racing schemes look good on these! If you've ever been to Reno you know what I mean!
Old 04-14-2010, 02:48 PM
drube

Thanks guys,
Should I not build this kit and instead put it on a shelf for the future? It's a little smaller than I wanted but for $40 I couldn't let it go. If my OS 46 is too big for it I think the shelf is where it will go for now.
Is this plane considered collectable?

Old 04-14-2010, 04:29 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they sell around $100 if untouched.a better p-51 kit build for your 46 would be the gp p-51 .
Old 04-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Gray Beard

HOB is still showing the 51 in 1/12 scale with the 36 inch wing for $65.00 and they still have the 1/10 47 inch listed for $110.00 but are now calling it an electric?? We had a racing class for them some years back and used the .25 engines. Instead of building the old kit you can simply make up templates of all the parts, go to Kinko's and get a copy of the plans and instructions and cut your own kit to build, very easy!! When I mentioned the bell crank the little one used one aileron servo and Nyrod that you routed in a bend to control the ailerons. We used a bell crank to remove the bend is all. Nyrod straight to the bell crank and a 2-56 wire off the bell crank to the aileron control horn. Just a more positive control but the bent Nyrod worked.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:13 PM
drube

Thanks,
I think i'll go thetemplet route that sounds like fun! On the box it says the wing span is 49" and I didn't see any that size on HOB. But i'll check again.
I really do like the idea of building from templets but have never done so. I guess that would be a "one of a kind" plane. Thats cool.Is there a how to thread for templet building anywhere?
I'll do a search and see what I can find.

Thanks again
Old 04-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Gray Beard

Making templates is just tracing your parts onto butcher paper or 20 pound bond computer paper. It's just cutting your own kit like we do when we buy bilders plans from MAN or RC Modeler. You can just cut them out and use contact cement to glue the paper part to the correct size/thickness wood then cut with a scroll saw or band saw and sand to the correct size. Very easy. You can get a copy of your plans at Kinko's or any other good copy center so you don't booger up the original plans in your kit. You can also select the wood of your choice this way. It's done all the time and anyone buying a kit should make up a set of templates. I mark the size and type of wood on them too just for down the road information. Keeps me from having to do that dreaded thinking stuff.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:18 PM
drube

That's great thanks alot! I wish I would've done that with my F4U. I would love to have a squad of corsairs.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:29 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a great flying airplane. Mine had an OS 40 in it with retracts and it flew great. After twenty years it is now hanging in a friends shop. On this kit the ailerons are driven by torque rods from a single servo in the center section of the wing. I had no problems with that set up and would recommend building it that way. The top of the fuselage is a molded plastic piece that goes from just in front of the canopy ll the way back to the vertical stab, (it includes the canopy). If you decide to build it with retracts angle the struts forward a little more than what the plans show if you are planning on flying off of grass. Enjoy.