Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Super Chipmunk

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Super Chipmunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 09:11 AM
rvd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Goldberg Super Chipmunk

I am going to be building a Goldberg Super Chipmunk soon.
I just want to know if anybody else built this and how was the kit? Any thing about it you didn't like? And how did she fly afterwards? And what engine is recommended for all around performance (aerobatics,speed).
Old 04-06-2002, 09:39 AM
funfly1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had one a few years ago and loved it.i got it from a freind who said they were easy to build.now he was one of those guys that everything was easy for him to build.anyway i put all futaba in it with a saito 80.the chipmunk flew great and very predictable.the neat thing about them is they will do about anything you ask and still fly like a trainer on landings.i think if i did it again i'd probably
put an os 61fx or maybe even a 91fx.now that would be a kick.
enjoy

glenn
Old 04-06-2002, 04:17 PM
rvd

i heard from a couple different guys that it does come in gently.
How much room is there up front for an engine? Will a 90 seriously fit?

I would like to find out how the kit is to build.
Old 04-06-2002, 04:26 PM
iflywarbirds
My Feedback: (12)

Default Easy Building Kit

I build a couple of these years ago...they are very easy to build and are super fliers. The first one I build was with a os 61 fsr. It flew just like I wanted it to...fast and wild with the controls jacked up...if you tame them down it will land very slow...little above walking speed. The second one I built was with a Sato 91 in it...this one also flew very well. The difference is the Satio pulled better and with the sound of a 4 stroke I got alot of commplements....it had great vertical and you could keep in front of your face doing rolls, stallturns, and etc. I really enjoyed both models...building is streight forward..just follow the pictures in the book with the building instructions.....you can do it...have a ball at the field with whatever enging you use...thanks, Gerry
Old 04-06-2002, 04:35 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I got mine framed up so I didnt do the major building, but throw the bellcranks for the ailerons away, and get one servo for each aileron, and put them out in the wing, put flaps on it, there not needed, but are fun and look good on it.
Here is mine with a supertiger .91 two stroke on it, Tons of overkill on the power, but sure sounds good and fly's great! fun plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	7734_167.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	5417  
Old 04-06-2002, 04:36 PM
rvd

it's good to here

i'm excited to start building it.
I don't know what it is but i've had this hang up about this plane for awhile now.. it's time i do one.
Old 04-07-2002, 01:38 PM
DP01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've built 3 CG Chipmunks (so far) The first powered by OS FS90 (rear cam), the second powered by OS FS91. The third is now ready to cover and will use another FS91. A couple of modifications may help:

1. Ditch the plastic wing tips and belly pan - balsa is easier to cover.
2. The landing gear torsion blocks in the kit need to be replaced with "real" plywood or hardwood.

The three that I've built have had the above mods. The first was built per the plans as a "Super Chipmunk". On the second, I changed the vertical tail à la DH Chipmunk. The third has the DH tail and a completely revised front end, eliminating the Lycoming cowl and subsituting a Gypsy cowl to look more like the DHC - 1 Chipmunk.

You'll love the way this airplane flies, build in the flaps - this essentially stall proofs it. You can hold the elevator full up and the nose bobs up and down as it stalls and self recovers. There is quite a bit of pitch up when the flaps are deployed however.

If you don't make any other mods, beef up the torsion blocks for sure.

Have fun…

Dennis
Old 04-07-2002, 09:20 PM
travis
My Feedback: (4)

I have built 3 of 'em in the last four years for myself and several for other modelers. My first two had the usual Art Schroll red, white and blue colors and the last had the Oreck XL Vaccuum colors of yellow base and black lettering, all out of oracover. The munks were all 4 channel planes with dual servos on the ailerons, just junk the single servo in the wing. As for power, mine has a Magnum 75 XL in the nose with a Pitts muffler. I tried to 'shoe horn ' a 90 in there but the cowling would not fit over the prop stud and cylinder head, even with the plug removed. Do not get too crazy with the control throws on the surfaces, cause she will bite the hand that feeds it. Looks good in the air and is sweet on the landings. Oh, I did remove the wing mounted landing gear and put a set of non scale composite gear that I mounted on the fuse. For a pilot, I used one of my daughters Barbie dolls with some modification, sure looks good in there but she is prone to "blond " moments.
Old 04-14-2002, 03:06 AM
iflywarbirds
My Feedback: (12)

Default Nice Plane john!!

Hi John, I like the plane...you did a great job on her...I had 2 and they flew great...one with a os 61 and the other with a Satio 91 4-stroke...both were super flying planes Thanks, Gerry
Old 04-14-2002, 02:41 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just finished mine; put an old .70 Surpass on it. This seems to be plenty of power. Flys great but likes to nose over on landings on grass fields. Need to bend the gear as far forward as you can and even then, taxi is a chore, especially downwind.
Old 04-22-2002, 12:29 AM
Bruiser-RCU

Default CGM Chipmunk

I finally got my cowl done and pictures taken, so now I can post! I am very excited...

Mine has flaps, dual aileron servos, a single servo for the optional flaps, the landing gear is reinforced, the tail surfaces come off, the wing is a two-piece design, and I custom built the cowl. The rudder outline has been changed and the aircraft is covered in MonoKote.

I have a Airtronics radio and the engine is a SuperTigre .90 with a Slimline pitts muffler.

It has not flown yet. I go on leave back to the U.S. in one week, so it will wait until the end of May before I test fly it

Name:	9098_446.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	5418  
Old 04-22-2002, 12:52 AM
JohnVH

Thats a very nice looking chippy!!
Old 04-22-2002, 01:47 AM
Bruiser-RCU

Default Chipmunk

Thanks John,

I like yours in the Art Scholl scheme. If I ever build another I will probably go with that scheme with the retracts.

Have you wieghed yours? Mine is about 7 pounds on the home scale.

Thanks,
-Bob George
Old 04-22-2002, 01:50 AM
JohnVH

No I have not, it dont matter with our ST.90's, hehe
Old 04-22-2002, 02:42 AM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

Brusier, I like your chipmunk. Mine is about framed up. Of course it has been it that stage for over a year. I'll finsh her someday! I think I will stick with the art scholl trim scheme but yours definately looks GOOD!
Old 04-25-2002, 07:52 AM
Bruiser-RCU

Default Pepsi Chipmunk

Thank you for the compliments. They make the effort worth it.

Everything is MonoKote. All the lettering and squares are handcut and ironed on. There just were not any availible for the Pepsi scheme.

Just like the cowl, it's made by me. I made the plug, then the mold and l laid up the cowl. The paint is LustreKote which matched up very well.

I really don't know why CGM never came out with an optional decal and cowl set for the airplane.

Thanks again,
-Bob George

Name:	9407_446.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	5419  
Old 04-25-2002, 02:55 PM
gemini-RCU

Default Super Chipmunk

I have built three of them they are one of the best planes I have flown I fly them with a O.S. 61FSR.They build like a typical Goldberg kit fairly easy excellent plans good wood.

Name:	9425_4071.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	5420  
Old 04-25-2002, 04:32 PM
FCC

Default chipmunk

I have just finished my new chipmunk with the original color scheme. Powered by Irvine 72 and looks really nice. I have also placed 1 servo for each aileron and a pull-pull system on the rudder.

I am just going to take it for a test flight in next few days.

This plane looks great with wheel pants. I also made a fiber glass cowl from the original plastic cowl.
Old 04-29-2002, 03:18 AM
FCC

Today I tested this aircraft in air. Its as simple as a trainer to fly and highy manuvarable and acrobatic. First I set the control throws too much but it needs much less throw. Sure it is over powered by Irvine 72 with 12X6 APC prop but this is good as I think there should always be some extra power on hand and also for high manuvers. Ground handling and landing is the easiest.
Old 04-30-2002, 01:31 AM
chazmen

I just picked up one of these kits - it hasn't arrived yet. I am curious has anyone installed mechanical retracts it one of these?

It looks at first glance that it would be a natural for retracts.

Since these are now out of production I plan on making a kit from my kit and saving the original parts for future patterns.

I also own a 60 Cloud Dancer made from one of the Ace kits. If the Chipmunk flies as well as the Cloud Dancer it will be a tonof fun.
Old 05-01-2002, 04:03 PM
highflyer353535
My Feedback: (3)

Default giant chipmunk??

hi.. i was just wondering if there are plans available for a 1\4 scale chippy? if not what is the best way to enlarge plans... i can see the chippy in 1/4 scale with maybe a twin 4 stroke...
Old 05-02-2002, 11:18 PM
Alessandro

Where can I find the Canopy and decals for the goldberg super chipmunk ?. I have tried directly to Goldberg but still I didn't have any answer.

Alessandro from Caracas,Venezuela
Old 05-16-2002, 02:05 PM
Cheech
My Feedback: (19)

I've had my 'Munk a couple of years now. It's powered by a Saito 100 running heli fuel. It is a super super airplane. The wing I built has three servos across it; one for each aileron and a third for inboard flaps .

I have ALL the radio programming set up on and it's awesome. I have flaps on the 3 position switch as well as "crow/airbrake". This is a fantastic flyer.

Not seen in this pic is my landing gear mod. The wire mains mounted in the wings kept giving me fits on our grass field. I took them out, beefed up the fuselage underside in front of the wing and had TnT ben me a set of bowed aluminum gear. The look is non-scale, but good. It added almost no weight and the plane flies GREEEEAT!

Name:	11286_4831.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	5421  
Old 05-16-2002, 02:30 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I bought mine second hand from a good friend who decided to move up into bigger birds. ST .61 power, flaps, shock absorbing struts, and a home made smoke system. Plenty of power for my kind of flying but a .90 two or four stroke would have been real nice too. This airplane practically takes off and lands itself, goes where you point it, and has no bad habits. I sold it recently but enjoyed it while I had it. Regards, Chad.

Name:	11289_559.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	5422  
Old 05-16-2002, 04:36 PM
jeffshort
My Feedback: (29)

anybody got an extra set of decals... a friend has one
that he is refinishing and the chipmonks are trashed.
He called goldburg and they had all but those in stok!.

Thanks,
Jeff

[email protected]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.