Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

4 Star now Venture - Scatch Build Plans

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

4 Star now Venture - Scatch Build Plans

Old 07-17-2010, 05:32 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Star now Venture - Scatch Build Plans

Got a hankering to build a heavily kit bashed 4 Star 60. Searched for plans and found Bruce Tharpe, designer of the 4 Star for Sig, had designed a new and improved plane called the Venture 60. Sportier lines and he solved the bugs in the old design.

Found the plans on the BTE web site and called. Bruce himself answered the phone! How's that for service?

Plan on bashing to make a kinda Peashooter out of it. I asked Bruce if my OS Wankel up front will work. (1.28 bhp) Awaiting reply. Your thoughts please.

Will post pic below.

Tom

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64101.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1469231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31680.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1469232  
Old 07-18-2010, 05:49 AM
Sukhoi_Madness

Default RE: 4 Star now Venture - Scatch Build Plans

Would love to see how the Wankel makes it fly. [8D]
Old 07-18-2010, 11:16 AM
BruceTharpe
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Tom, got your email but thought a response here would work. The wankel might be okay for the type of flying you described in your email ("basic flight and some tricks but not full pattern"). The V60 is a pretty large model, but I've always thought a .46 2-stroke would fly it around pretty decently. If the wankel puts out that kind of power then it might be worth a shot if you keep the model light (under 7 lb.).

Be sure to visit venture60.com to see what other builders have done with the design. Keep us posted on your bashed version!
Old 07-18-2010, 12:13 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks Bruce.

Eventually I will post a building thread.

Wankel is a very short engine so I've figured out I can keep the firewall where it is and mount Wankel forward with a crafted rock hard maple mount. So if it doesn't have enough oomph, I'll just drop in my OS 72 4 banger. Also this will not change the thrust line you spent all that time calculating. ;-)

Did fly the Wankel on a 4 Star 40 and it yanked it through the air big time. Seriously powered up. Flew mostly at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle. And it is great fun to see the others guys wince when you crank 16,000 + rpm.

Keep you and the other posted.

Tom