Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

First Kit BUSA Pup?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

First Kit BUSA Pup?

Old 07-28-2010, 03:16 PM
800mZero
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Kit BUSA Pup?

Hey Guys,

Have always been an ARF builder (I know beat me about the shoulders). But anyway I have been really toying with building my first kit over this coming winter. I have always loved the pup-the camel is nice, but the Sopwith Pup just looks right, and captures what a ww1 fighter should like for me.

Any how, for those out there far more expereinced than I, would you recommend the BUSA 1/6 scale pup as a first kit build?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:20 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: First Kit BUSA Pup?

well I understand the 1/4 pup is much more updated than the older 1/3 design..but there is still some fairly serious things to get done..If you can solder well, and have a friend or two that can stop in and help you make sure you are on the right path ..that would help a lot..

I won't say it can't be done..but it will be a challenge.
On the plus side there are tons of builds on the web, and you can ask questions here and other RC sites.. it will depend most on your desire to make it through to the end.

I have built many kits, and a couple BALSA USA kits (love them) ..
Old 07-28-2010, 05:18 PM
noveldoc

Just a thought but if you have never built before get a small cheap Guillow's rubber job off EBay or wherever. Something simple like a Cub. Make all your mistakes on it. And those builds are fun.

Tom
Old 07-28-2010, 05:28 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: 800mZero

Hey Guys,

Have always been an ARF builder (I know beat me about the shoulders). But anyway I have been really toying with building my first kit over this coming winter. I have always loved the pup-the camel is nice, but the Sopwith Pup just looks right, and captures what a ww1 fighter should like for me.

Any how, for those out there far more expereinced than I, would you recommend the BUSA 1/6 scale pup as a first kit build?
Allthough I have never built a bipe, I have been hanging around RCU awhile and would worry about winge incidence. If youll use the search function I think you can find out more. I have the BUSA Eindecker 90 off and on the bench and It's an excellent kit, however, I couldn't recommend as a first kit. A bipe might, could be twice as hard.

Not knowing your flying ability it would be really hard to recommend a first kit. If your still flying trainers, the Kadet LT 40. If your on your second plane, the Sig 4 Four Star of any size. If your a little better than that, the SSE.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:46 PM
800mZero

woopsdidnt mean to imply this is my first airplane guysi have been flying for 5 years 3d, warbirds ranging in size from park flyer to 70 inch wingspan. This is deffiantely not my first planejust would be my first kit. I would also be going electric.

I have been thinking about building up the hanger 9 camel -but asthetically I just love the pup.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:08 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

that hanger 9 camel is a tricky bird compared to the BUSA pup..the pup is a baby..flies wonderful.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:55 AM
800mZero

see thats what I have heard as well, but with no one making the pup in an arf form it leaves me to have try my luck at a kit. Which is why I brought up the questionthere is quite a few build threads on the subject. I am thinking about buying one of the aerodrome 40" kits to try my hand at to see if I can pull it off. They are about half the price.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:42 AM
prgonzalez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see thats what I have heard as well, but with no one making the pup in an arf form it leaves me to have try my luck at a kit. Which is why I brought up the questionthere is quite a few build threads on the subject. I am thinking about buying one of the aerodrome 40'' kits to try my hand at to see if I can pull it off. They are about half the price.
IMHO, only you can measure up your crafstman skills. Do not feel discouraged in building the pup. The basic question is, do you have the tools and working area. You need a very flat surface to build the wings and tools including an incidence meter to align the wings into the fuselage. A true model flies better than a crooked model.

For any question, you always have us for support.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:44 AM
CanDo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built my 1/4 Pup a few years ago, and it still is one of the best planes I have. Take your time, read the instructions carefully, and you will have a great flying plane that others will wish they had! BUSA is also great when it comes to support, or just send me an email if you have questions.
-Les-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71635.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1474998  
Old 07-29-2010, 11:24 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

While not trying to discourage you in any way I would recommend that you not start out with the BUSA Pup as your first kit. This is going to be a larger plane and there are going to be certain building skills and techniques that you will need in order to successfully complete the build. When you get to kits such as this one there are some skills that the designers simply assume you already have, and therefore may not explain how to do certain things in the instructions. Just like flying, you have to start out simple when building. Start with a couple of easier kits in order to build up your skill set before you tackle a bird like this one. Trust me, in the long run you'll be better off.

A good kit to start with would be the BTE Venture 60. While you're flying skills may well be beyond a kit like this, you're building skills aren't. This is a great kit to build and it's a good one to start off with. And once you're finished with it you may discover that you like flying it a whole lot more than you ever thought possible simply because you did build it  yourself.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 07-29-2010, 12:19 PM
CanDo

-Sorry, I was thinking about your first BUSA kit, not your first kit. While the BUSA Pup isn't as difficult as some other kits I've built, it does require some previous building experience. I would build something like a SIG Seniorita to learn about building stick fuselages (it's also a nice flying plane), then contact BUSA to see if the 1/6 Pup kit is doable for you. My guess is since it's a relatively new kit, they probably simplified the build.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Augie11

I've got several BUSA kits in the fleet and they all fly well. But they do take patience and sound building techniques. I certainly don't want to discourage you in any way but why not stick with a straightforward monoplane for your first build...something like the Sig 4 star? Or, if you must have a bipe, the Sig Hog Bipe is a winner. On your first kit you'll learn a lot and, when your finished, you'll find yourself saying 'next time I'll........'. If you really love the 1/4 scale Pup, save it for 'next time'.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:29 PM
sticktickler

Heck with it go for it and learn as you go ask plenty of questions and you'll learn quick after all it's just a wood model not rocket sience.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:45 AM
prgonzalez

ORIGINAL: sticktickler

Heck with it go for it and learn as you go ask plenty of questions and you'll learn quick after all it's just a wood model not rocket sience.
Amen Brother.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Bundubasher

Got to be one hell of a long winter.... I\ve been building 7 years on mine. It is a very interesting build and has a lot of possibilities, you can convert it to a Sopwith Dove if the olive green drab is boring. Most of the Sopwith Pups on the production line at the end of WW1 was converted to the civilian version Sopwith Dove. Pups served in various airforces and that opens up scope for the researcher who is bored by the "typical English" pup.
It is a technical buildand your name got to be written on the box - I've enjoyed mine sofar - still be a while before I can fly it. And these Pups has presence in the air - OHBOY....

Cheers

Bundu

Hey Guys,

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49771.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	1477091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81225.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	1477092  
Old 09-21-2010, 12:04 PM
R. Blake

800m Zero
I just found this thread and it does seem to be a month old or so but thought I might add. I am building a 1/6 busa pup right now. this is my first kit and my 7th plane. all others have been rtfsor arfs. I started flying in january. The build has been very straight forward and pretty easy even for a person with little to no experience. I have been reading all the info I can from other peoples builds and this has been extreemly helpful. I was worried about how covering the plane would turn out, but so far, using the recommended solartex, has been a dream. The company recomends 2 meter rolls of antique and drab. didnt use the antique sparingly enough so will have to order more. but other than that its been really cool seeing what I can create for the first time.
Question for those who have experience with busa kits. I am at a loss as to how to put the pushrods supplied with the kit together. The techs at busa are in colorado for a week and wont be able to get help from them for a week.
heres the deal. I received two long pushrods no thread. I received 4 short rods threaded. I received 4 dubro pushrod sodder ends and 4 dubro pushrod threaded ends.
my question is, Do I have to tap threads onto the long pushrods? and why are there 4 short rods? I assume I will use two to connect the upper and lower alierons. thanks to all who can help
blake
oxnard shores
Old 01-20-2011, 02:33 AM
MerlinV

I'm in the middle of building the Balsa USA 1/6 Pup right now.

It's a cinch (my first kit from go to woah). Instructions are very good and very helpful... almost like they are aimed at the beginner.

Make sure you follow them to the letter though. When they say "Check Alignment", Check that damned alignment!

The BUSA kits contain ALL timber required. And all timber is called out exactly in the intructions. You may spend a bit of time trying to identify the correct piece, but it is there.
I have only had to resort to my Balsa stocks once for a scrap of 1/8 sheet.

Good luck!

Hugh