Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

4 Star 40 Build Thread!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

4 Star 40 Build Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 02:32 AM
R!aan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Star 40 Build Thread!

I ordered my 4 star a few days ago and it is due to arrive here on the 3rd (tuesday) I also ordered a avistar .46 which at $50 souns like a steal, but I'm not going to put my hopes up just yet. There are a few modifications that I would like to include in the build, mostly to improve it's looks:
- Make a better looking balsa cowl based on the current one
- Position the canopy so that it looks better
- Sheet the turtle deck
- Reinforce the landing gear area
- tint the canopy
- make wheel pants
- (and mayebe)Look into retracts, I solved the prop strike problem on paper, but i havent put it into practice [:-]
Just keep in mind that this is my first KIT but i do have experience that I build up when I had to fix a badly damaged glider wing ( I ended up with a smashed up glider from my cousin, but now it flies again :P)
I have about a month of summer holidays left so I will post an update with pics each day.
Thanks, hope you enjoy it and PLEASE comment on my Ideas! Riaan
Old 08-01-2010, 07:02 AM
Lnewqban

Default RE: 4 Star 40 Build Thread!

Check this thread for similar and additional ideas:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_85...tm.htm#8533853
Old 08-01-2010, 07:12 AM
R!aan

Thanks LNEWQBAN that thread has just helped me decide about the retracts , I have checked out a lot of threads regarding the plane, and i will try to put as much of the ideas into practice as possible, to enhance the planes looks and flight charachteristics as much as possible! Please feel free to comment on any other ideas you might have for the plane.
Thanks!
Riaan
Old 08-01-2010, 07:57 AM
GaryHarris

I used a canopy from an SSE and I really liked it much better.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49044.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	1476336  
Old 08-01-2010, 08:27 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi R!aan- I built some of these a while back and they were great fliers. First built stock. 2nd I clipped the wings, thinned the ribs, sheeted the LE, put LE slots in front of barndoor ailerons that were statically balanced. I put a V-tail on it and made a smooth turtle deck with the front portion of a bubble canopy on it. It was powered with a Supre Tigre 90. I never did see the power line that sliced the wing from it! 3rd had built up tail feathers and made into open cockpit 2-holer reminiscent of 1920's and '30's airplanes. Coming out of a loop the stab folded so I rolled inverted to 'land'. Just before touchdown I killed the power to minimize engine damage (it worked-no damage!) Should have braced the tail I built.

If you build it stock, the landing gear plate seems to need a little reinforcement in its mounting to fuse. This is a great flying airplane!
Old 08-01-2010, 12:05 PM
R!aan

Gary harris- that canopy looks great! Where can I get those?
ARUP- The V tail seems quite interesting!       Sorry to hear about you loss[], but i think you put what you learned from it to good use!, If i do decide to go with the stock landing gear i will definitley reinforce the gear plate, i will defenitely put that one in my list for to do's.
Riaan
Old 08-01-2010, 12:15 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: R!aan

Gary harris- that canopy looks great! Where can I get those?
ARUP- The V tail seems quite interesting! Sorry to hear about you loss[], but i think you put what you learned from it to good use!, If i do decide to go with the stock landing gear i will definitley reinforce the gear plate, i will defenitely put that one in my list for to do's.
Riaan

You can get the canopy directly from Sig.

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV5.html?E+Sig
Old 08-01-2010, 12:40 PM
R!aan

Thanks Biff! I'm considering the canopy, but I am a bit cautious about shipping price for just the canopy...  I am still considering it though
Riaan
Old 08-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I ordered my 4 star a few days ago and it is due to arrive here on the 3rd (tuesday) I also ordered a avistar .46 which at $50 souns like a steal, but I'm not going to put my hopes up just yet. There are a few modifications that I would like to include in the build, mostly to improve it's looks:
- Make a better looking balsa cowl based on the current one
- Position the canopy so that it looks better
- Sheet the turtle deck
- Reinforce the landing gear area
- tint the canopy
- make wheel pants
- (and mayebe)Look into retracts, I solved the prop strike problem on paper, but i havent put it into practice [:-]
Just keep in mind that this is my first KIT but i do have experience that I build up when I had to fix a badly damaged glider wing ( I ended up with a smashed up glider from my cousin, but now it flies again :P)
I have about a month of summer holidays left so I will post an update with pics each day.
Thanks, hope you enjoy it and PLEASE comment on my Ideas! Riaan
Remember, I told you I haven't built the 40 size in a long time so take what I say with a grain of salt, I use the 60 size as a training kit. I have seen the stock canopy reversed and that looks cool. I have photos of one I did with a 12 year old student, he discovered my stash or Seagul Extra canopy's and just had to have one, that looks pretty good too. ARFs are a great/cheap source of parts.I think Fiberglas Specialities has a glass cowl for the kit, not sure about the 40 size? I have sheeted the TD with 1/64 ply and it really strengthens the plane and if you are working on it in a stand you aren't breaking stringers all the time. Wheel pants make it look a lot better. I have a bunch of them in the shop in different sizes. They do tend to come loose and with a bad landing they like to go into the wing and break up ribs that get in there way though. I have never installed retracts in this plane so I don't have a clue. Removing a wing bay or two gives the plane a much faster roll rate but in stock form it's fast enough for most new pilots. Have fun, it's a really nice kit and any .46 is enough power for it.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:50 PM
R!aan

Thanks,I'll keep that in mind Gray Beard , Would it be stupid of me to try and clip the wing 1 bay on each side afterI get use to the plane? That is if it survives me
Riaan
Old 08-01-2010, 01:10 PM
GaryHarris

Thanks Biff! I'm considering the canopy, but I am a bit cautious about shipping price for just the canopy... I am still considering it though
Riaan

I was thinking the same thing. The shipping may not be worth it. Try what Gray Beard suggested and turn the standard one around. And then you can get some automotive trim tape and run around the edges.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:18 PM
R!aan

Yeah the shipping is quite a bugger [], how would it work to tint the canopy? not completely paint it but properly tint it...
I just saw a turned around canopy on the Tom Pierce 4 star, looks pretty neat
Riaan
Old 08-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks,I'll keep that in mind Gray Beard [img][/img], Would it be stupid of me to try and clip the wing 1 bay on each side after I get use to the plane? That is if it survives me [img][/img]
Riaan
I was a pit man for a racer and he was always having me remove wing bays, I removed so many from one plane it turned into a lawn dart. You just peel back the covering and remove then then iron down the covering again. It helps to have extra covering on hand though, just in case. I attached two photos. One I think {it was a thumb nail on my puter} is an Extra 260 kit I built and I looked at ARFs in the same size range until I found one that I thought the canopy would fit. It was so cheap I ordered 3 of them. I have a lot of stuff in my shop from doing things that way. The other photo is my 12 year old student with the plane we built together. It is missing a couple of wing bays, has one of my Extra canopy's on it, the kid just had to have it silver. I think I added an inch or so to the rudder? The kid was a really good pilot and learning stunt flying so I did a few mods. I was going to cowl the engine but he had a Golden Knight Saito 100 and just had to show everyone his pretty engine so it got mounted upright. I can't blame him either, it really is a good looking engine!! Remember, it's your plane, you can do anything to it you like!! Being here in the states we have a lot of sources for all the items required so a lot of things we may do is out of the question for you just due to the shipping costs. I have four hobby shops close enough to drive to or I can mail order and have stuff here in three days. If one of us says you should try or do something you may not have the source for the parts needed??

Name:	Mh21254.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	1476428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95873.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1476429  
Old 08-01-2010, 02:16 PM
R!aan

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

I was a pit man for a racer and he was always having me remove wing bays, I removed so many from one plane it turned into a lawn dart. You just peel back the covering and remove then then iron down the covering again. It helps to have extra covering on hand though, just in case. I attached two photos. One I think {it was a thumb nail on my puter} is an Extra 260 kit I built and I looked at ARFs in the same size range until I found one that I thought the canopy would fit. It was so cheap I ordered 3 of them. I have a lot of stuff in my shop from doing things that way. The other photo is my 12 year old student with the plane we built together. It is missing a couple of wing bays, has one of my Extra canopy's on it, the kid just had to have it silver. I think I added an inch or so to the rudder? The kid was a really good pilot and learning stunt flying so I did a few mods. I was going to cowl the engine but he had a Golden Knight Saito 100 and just had to show everyone his pretty engine so it got mounted upright. I can't blame him either, it really is a good looking engine!! Remember, it's your plane, you can do anything to it you like!! Being here in the states we have a lot of sources for all the items required so a lot of things we may do is out of the question for you just due to the shipping costs. I have four hobby shops close enough to drive to or I can mail order and have stuff here in three days. If one of us says you should try or do something you may not have the source for the parts needed??
Well I can source parts but that usually involves shipping because firstly, Dubai is not a very good place for DIY supplies and secondly The only proper LHS is quite a rip-off compared to what it is back home and it is mutch cheaper to ship it from the US then to buy it here. But I will take any suggestions into acount because I have not ordered all the parts to finish the kit off, I still have to order all the other items from Tower Hobbies, so if someone suggests something to me I could get it when I order the Fuel tank,wheels, wheel collars, servosetc... And my dad is going back to South Africa for a few days to attend a wedding so I could always ask him to bring some parts back from the LHS, which we are quite familiar with. Oh and thanks, Inow understand the wholewing clipping thing. Oh just remembered the local ACE hardware has a rack with balsa... not a very big variety but it has a lot of sheet balsa.. but it is still not a very well stocked ACE being in Dubai it is yet again not very DIY friendly..
oh! BTW shipping here can take about 7-14 days 7 days if you order on a Tuesday and you are just incredibly lucky
Thanks ,
Riaan
Old 08-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

Check out this thread... [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7062456/anchors_7062456/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#7062456]Four Star Saito Builds[/link]. I post my own progress in this thread, and have still not covered it (2 years later). Lots of good ideas and tips posted there. It is an easy first kit, just keep structural integrity and weight in mind when building.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:03 PM
R!aan

Thanks Acs. I'll checkout that thread in detail tomorrow, and I will keep a sure eye out for weight as well as strength!
Tanks again!
P.S I like the colour scheme your going for...
Riaan
Old 08-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Flyboyxc
My Feedback: (2)

R!AAN,  I too am just about to build a 4*40 kit that I have had for some time now, I don't have much time to work having to go back to college on the 20th of August.  I'm looking forward to the build though and will post some pictures here as well.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:46 AM
R!aan

Thanks Flyboy, it will be good to see somebody elses progress on here too, might put some more motivation into the build (not that I'm  not motivated ) are you planning on doing any modifications to the plane?
Riaan

Old 08-02-2010, 07:58 AM
R!aan

I just uploaded the outline of how I intend my plane to look, the first one is how it will look at 100% stock and the second is how I would likemyne to look... Any comments?
Oh and all Credits to Acs_Guitars for the outline of the stock plans... otherwise I wouldn't have been able to do the bottom view
Thanks! Riaan
Oh and pls check the next reply about the Chin....!

Name:	Yw66808.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	1476962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28251.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	1476963  
Old 08-02-2010, 08:24 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is the deep chin for? Looks like a lot of frontal area right behind the prop, which will rob some power. Side area looks out of balance front to back...you could add some rudder or fin area to correct that. Did you decrease the stab area? I wouldn't do that (unless you also clip the wings), but you can keep the same shape if you enlarge it (you'll need a bigger elevator then). Wing shape is cool. Kit bashing is a lot of fun, and the 4 Star can definitely use sprucing up, but just be aware of the aerodynamic effects.

Jim
Old 08-02-2010, 08:45 AM
R!aan

Hahah, sorry should have explained that, the chin is suppose to wrap around the engine and muffler. On paper it looks way over size but that is only because I didn't work the engine and muffler size into it, it should end up ALOT smaller , the whole back and front of the chin is open ,and the elevator is not suppose to besmaller it shoud be a very small bit bigger than the normal one, it is just more angular, only a slight bit has been added to the side of the elevator, all this is just for fun, as I have nothing better to do... Thanks for the Advice!
Riaan
Old 08-02-2010, 08:55 AM
R!aan

ORIGINAL: buzzard bait

What is the deep chin for? Looks like a lot of frontal area right behind the prop, which will rob some power. Side area looks out of balance front to back...you could add some rudder or fin area to correct that. Did you decrease the stab area? I wouldn't do that (unless you also clip the wings), but you can keep the same shape if you enlarge it (you'll need a bigger elevator then). Wing shape is cool. Kit bashing is a lot of fun, and the 4 Star can definitely use sprucing up, but just be aware of the aerodynamic effects.

Jim
Thanks Jim, I'll keep the Aerodynamics in acount, sorry I just overlayed the two image and realised that the elevator on myne was slightly smaller, something which I did not intend. I have corrected it now! Thanks a lot!
Riaan
Old 08-02-2010, 09:34 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds good, Riaan...have fun and show us when you start building.

Jim
Old 08-02-2010, 10:16 AM
R!aan

Will do!
Old 08-02-2010, 12:00 PM
R!aan

Hey. can somebody tell me if it's a dumb Idea to use a micro servo as the throttle servo?[&:]
Thanks!
Riaan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.