Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig LT40 or GP PT40 for first build in ten years?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig LT40 or GP PT40 for first build in ten years?

Old 08-03-2010, 08:01 AM
wazzbat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig LT40 or GP PT40 for first build in ten years?

Hi to everyone.

Iam keen to get back into the hobby after having a short crack at it ten years ago. Back then, I built a Hustler MKIII from kit form. Not sure how many will know of this plane because I think it was built in South Australia by Aeroflyte. Anyway, to cut a long story short, it wasn't checked properly before it's maiden flight and it turns out I didn't glue the push rod tubes in and they just flexed when trying to pull out of a loop and - Crash! Apart from that, the guy who took it up there said that it was a very nice plane to fly so I must have built some parts of it OK???

So ten years later here I am trying to find another trainer kit in Perth -Westen Australia and there isn't much around. The only two I can find are the Great Planes PT-40 @ $180.00 AU which is kind of local or the SIG LT-40 @ $260.00 AU which would have to be sent from the Eastern States. So what I am after are your opinions on which would be the better kit in terms of ease of building and learning to fly and also value for money keeping in mind that (I think) the SIG comes with a few more included parts compared to the PT-40?

Look forward to hearing what everyone has to say!

Cheers

Old 08-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Sig LT40 or GP PT40 for first build in ten years?

I doubt you could go wrong either way to be honest! i have had experience with the LT-40 and it is a great flying and very durable airplane. Also it is is very easy to build as well. I am not 100% sure but I think the new kits come setup as a bolt on wing now, we made my sone a bolt on wing and it (an me) taught th boy how to fly, my frined also built one have never built any airplane before and he did a good job and learned how to fly on it. I still have the airplane here and am thinking about cleaning it up to sell cheap so someone else can learn how to fly. Either way you go, you cant go wrong!!!! thousands have learned how to fly on both airplanes. I found the LT-40 to have a great hardware apckage but I dont think it had the tank etc. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:07 PM
prgonzalez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built the PT-40 with which I learned how to fly. Easy construction in less than two weeks. I would go with the cheapest option (PT-40) and use the rest of the money for engine, servos, etc. PT-40 can be built bolt-on wing or rubber band. I built mine rubber band by trainer suggestion.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:03 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The PT-40 is maybe a little easier build. The LT-40 is a much better plane IMHO.

david
Old 08-03-2010, 04:50 PM
GaryHarris

I never built a PT 40 but I built a PT 20 way back in the day. The instructions were very good especially for a noob however, the quality of the wood was pretty poor. Not too long ago I bought an OS .30 FS with the intention of building another one and after having more building experiance under my belt since then, I ended up throwing the kit away. It was the worst box of overweight and twisted sticks I ever saw. How this relates to the 40 size, I don't know. Maybe it's better.

I built a Kadet LT 40 about 10 years ago and it sold me on Sig kits. Built a few Sig kits since then and I stick with them.

My vote would be for the LT40 or the LT25 which is on my bench now.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:57 PM
wazzbat

Thanks Guys.

Just from having a bit of a look through this forum, I get the impression that the SIG kits are pretty well put together so I am leaning towards the LT40 but it is a little bit more expensive then the PT40 and I will have to get it shipped across the country.  MMmmm?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:20 PM
GaryHarris

Go with Sig!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:21 PM
vmsguy

I built a LT-40 as well.. And it builds pretty well.. Pretty straight and true out of the box.

Other's may disagree, but personally, my opinion, the "40" in LT-40 is a being conservative. I think it's a lot closer to a 60.

I only do electric, but if I were going glo, I'd put a 55 sized motor on it. Then get a 4-star-40 to build. Once you're done with the LT-40, the 4-star-40 would fly quite nicely with the 55 motor...
Old 08-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Revy
My Feedback: (1)

Our Saito .56 powered club trainer LT-40 is a nice little plane. 11x8 prop pulls it along nice. Got some LED lights on it and we can fly it at night. You'll like it.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:35 AM
wazzbat

Thanks guys. I think I might fork out a that little bit extra for the SIG. I think I would regret it if I got the PT-40 and it wasn't as good as the LT-40. Unfortunately I have expensive tastes and like getting quality stuff!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:45 AM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

I have a different opinion here. I would get myself an inexpensive arf for the primary trainer and build the second model, either a high wing or low wing intermediate plane. The Sig Extra is suppose to be a nice flying plane.

I found a old Kraftkit 4 Seasons 40 to build while I flew an avistar and Tower Trainer.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50933.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1477914  
Old 08-04-2010, 06:53 AM
mclina

ORIGINAL: Jim_Purcha

I have a different opinion here. I would get myself an inexpansive arf for the primary trainer and buid the second model, either a high wing or low wing intermediate plane. The Sig Extra is suppose to be a nice flying plane.

Jim
Probably blasphemy here in the kit forum, but I tend to agree. For $70 US you can get a Tower Trainer ARF. It is not as good a plane as an LT-40, but it gets you in the air. Then take your time and build yourself a nice second plane.

Good luck
Old 08-04-2010, 09:42 AM
CanDo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PT 40 was my first 4 channel trainer plane. It was built like a tank and pretty heavy as a result. It also tended to tip stall instead of mushing along like some trainers. I've built and flown many SIG kits and liked them all. Go SIG!
Old 08-04-2010, 10:04 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

If you plan on being a "modeler", not just a flyer, then your plan to build your trainer will let you get the inevitable building mistakes out of the way on a plane you may only fly for a few months. If you buy an ARF and build your second plane you're just going to make those mistakes on that plane. I built a PT-60 in two weeks and was far more prepared to build a Sig 4* 60 after that than I would have been. There are lots of little tricks you can only pick up by actually building and it will help make your second plane one you'll be proud to say "I built", not "well, it's the first plane I built, so...."
Old 08-04-2010, 04:08 PM
wazzbat

ORIGINAL: Jim_Purcha

I have a different opinion here. I would get myself an inexpansive arf for the primary trainer and buid the second model, either a high wing or low wing intermediate plane. The Sig Extra is suppose to be a nice flying plane.

Jim
I did consider this and that is what a lot of the LHS salesmen are telling me (probably got a lot to do with the fact that that's all they have on their shelves though). But when I built a plane ten years ago, I really did enjoy the build part of it as much as watching it in the air. I know it will cost more but I can't afford all the rest of the gear to get me flying yet so I thought this was a good way to get started and get my fix! By the time I am ready to start flying, I might end up forking out $100 and getting a cheap ARF to learn with anyway??? Or maybe someone at the club I join will have something for me to learn with???

Old 08-04-2010, 04:51 PM
carrellh

If you'll be learning with an instructor at the club, your kit built trainer should not be in much danger.

The PT-40 does not include: Fuel tank, wheels, wheel collars, spinner, or fuel tubing
The LT-40 does include those items

I've never built a Sig kit but most people really like them. I have built a GP PT-60 and I thought the kit quality was good. Either choice should serve you very well.

RCKen did an extremely thorough build thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3439708/tm.htm on the LT-40 that you can use as an additional reference if you choose it.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:34 PM
wazzbat

ORIGINAL: carrellh

If you'll be learning with an instructor at the club, your kit built trainer should not be in much danger.

The PT-40 does not include: Fuel tank, wheels, wheel collars, spinner, or fuel tubing
The LT-40 does include those items

I've never built a Sig kit but most people really like them. I have built a GP PT-60 and I thought the kit quality was good. Either choice should serve you very well.

RCKen did an extremely thorough build thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3439708/tm.htm on the LT-40 that you can use as an additional reference if you choose it.
Thanks heaps for pointing out that build thread carrellh. I will almost definately go for the LT-40 now!
Cheers

Old 08-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Nintendomaniac_00

I built an LT-40 with my son a few years ago and it turned out to be a great all around airplane. We built it according to the plans and put a mild 65 2-stroke in it. A 40 2-stroke is too small for this plane. One guy in our club put in a 65 saito in his LT-40 and converted it to a tail dragger. After flying his, I think that was the best set up for this plane. Hope you enjoy the experience. Regards, NM
Old 08-06-2010, 05:06 PM
wazzbat

After reading all your posts, I am keen to go ahead and get a SIG LT-40 but am finding it hard to justify spending $270 on it. I did a bit of googling and sent an email off to HobbyHorse and I should be able to get one delivered here for about $200 or cheaper still if I can find someone else in Perth that wants one too.

But I just wanted to know who everyone reccommends for buying kits and other rc stuff on line?

Cheers