Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 04:20 AM
tlmunn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peternj
It doesn't sound like a kit, I know there were some people that moded the top wing. I did that on one of my kits and it uses two bolts through the top.
I posted my inquiry on the fb page for carl goldberg models and it seems that mine could be the kit with the modded top wing mounting and i would say the builder did the dual servos for the ailerons .I may take some pics and post them here .My wing is held in place with wings and the wing struts go down over the top of the tabs in the wing and not beside the tabs like every other model or plan I have seen.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:43 AM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tlmunn
I posted my inquiry on the fb page for carl goldberg models and it seems that mine could be the kit with the modded top wing mounting and i would say the builder did the dual servos for the ailerons .I may take some pics and post them here .My wing is held in place with wings and the wing struts go down over the top of the tabs in the wing and not beside the tabs like every other model or plan I have seen.
I am currently building a Goldberg Ultimate from a set of plans and a stack of balsa, plus the landing gear, canopy, cowl and wheel pants, and all hardware, which I had to source aftermarket. I am using very little lite ply in mine, to save weight and actually be stronger, but not as "tough". I have re-designed the top wing attachment to use two screws into the bottom of the top wing, instead of the pin as designed in the kit. I am using two wing servos in the bottom wing, and the upper ailerons will be driven by connecting rods. My outer wing struts will screw onto the sides of the tabs in the wings (similar to the kit). I did think about making the wing tabs go into pockets on the struts, but didn't want to add complexity.

I can't be certain from your description, but it seems that yours might be a modified original kit. If you are able to post some pictures that show the internal structure, those of us familiar with the plane might be able to tell more.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:48 AM
tlmunn

Originally Posted by Outrider6
I am currently building a Goldberg Ultimate from a set of plans and a stack of balsa, plus the landing gear, canopy, cowl and wheel pants, and all hardware, which I had to source aftermarket. I am using very little lite ply in mine, to save weight and actually be stronger, but not as "tough". I have re-designed the top wing attachment to use two screws into the bottom of the top wing, instead of the pin as designed in the kit. I am using two wing servos in the bottom wing, and the upper ailerons will be driven by connecting rods. My outer wing struts will screw onto the sides of the tabs in the wings (similar to the kit). I did think about making the wing tabs go into pockets on the struts, but didn't want to add complexity.

I can't be certain from your description, but it seems that yours might be a modified original kit. If you are able to post some pictures that show the internal structure, those of us familiar with the plane might be able to tell more.
I tried to post pics but I do not have enough posts yet to do so.
i just tried again and was able to add pics

Last edited by tlmunn; 12-07-2022 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:50 AM
tlmunn

Old 12-07-2022, 06:55 AM
tlmunn

Default more pics

The following users liked this post:
jescardin (08-20-2023)
Old 12-07-2022, 07:13 AM
Outrider6

^^ Those pictures make it look to me like it is an ARF. However, I am not familiar with the ARF, so I can't be certain. Even though I am currently building one from a set of plans, I haven't built an actual kit since they first came out ~30 years ago. The cockpit area doesn't look like a kit to me, with the black plastic "liner" and instrument panel.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:04 AM
tlmunn

Originally Posted by Outrider6
^^ Those pictures make it look to me like it is an ARF. However, I am not familiar with the ARF, so I can't be certain. Even though I am currently building one from a set of plans, I haven't built an actual kit since they first came out ~30 years ago. The cockpit area doesn't look like a kit to me, with the black plastic "liner" and instrument panel.
My thoughts exactly but the arf manual on line looks nothing like mine and are pre covered totally differently unless there was an arf bluehawk that I missed ..
Old 12-07-2022, 09:09 AM
Outrider6

Now I can't help but wonder if your plane was built from a set of plans, like many have done, and like I am doing now. Maybe the builder just made some design changes along the way, for whatever reason. The mystery continues...
Old 12-07-2022, 10:55 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I think parts of it are the Seagull Ultimate. Maybe all of it and it's been recovered?? I have the manual someplace for the GB Ult and the SG Ult. I'll have to look.

David
Old 12-07-2022, 11:09 AM
Outrider6

You may be right, davopam.

My GB plans and manual don't show the firewall being notched for upper stringers, nor the "tabs" on the fuselage sides protruding a little forward beyond the firewall, like in the pictures above.

I bet the previous Seagull owner re-covered it and bought a set of GB decals.

Last edited by Outrider6; 12-07-2022 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-07-2022, 12:28 PM
tlmunn

I looked at the seagull ultimate after this was mentioned ad it has different landing hear and mounting system than mine, the wing mounting method is different,the servos are installed so the tops are exposed. mine are laid down and mounted to the bottom of a ply hatch.mine has no engine box like the seagull.Servo tray and tank tray are different as well.haedware in mune is different than Sg.The cabane is different.I see more but will stop.It is not a seagull arf but thanks .worth a look.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:23 PM
thnilsen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe you have a modified ARF. The kit came with a two piece ABS plastic cowling where the front is separated from the rest and is glued together during the build. Yours does not appear to have any glue seams which would have been visible in the top hole.
The side yellow area running along the fuselage also has the smaller outside yellow line identical to the ARF, which i think a lot of builders left out - I certainly did.
The wing struts mounts are probably just modified. Wish I had thought of doing the same with mine. :-)

Engine mount block is just a DIY addition and not standard with either the ARF or the kit.

Cockpit instrument decal is same as the kit, but I expect this was also part of the ARF.

Original stock landing gear was awful and would have been replaced by most owners I think unless one greased the landings every time. Mine gave up after a couple of flights.

Servo mounted in lower wing is normal for both kit and ARF.

At least some ARF kits had the notched firewall for the longerons. The kit did not (at least the kit I bought around 2007).

- Thomas

Last edited by thnilsen; 12-07-2022 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 04:25 PM
tlmunn

Originally Posted by thnilsen
I believe you have a modified ARF. The kit came with a two piece ABS plastic cowling where the front is separated from the rest and is glued together during the build. Yours does not appear to have any glue seams which would have been visible in the top hole.
The side yellow area running along the fuselage also has the smaller outside yellow line identical to the ARF, which i think a lot of builders left out - I certainly did.
The wing struts mounts are probably just modified. Wish I had thought of doing the same with mine. :-)

Engine mount block is just a DIY addition and not standard with either the ARF or the kit.

Cockpit instrument decal is same as the kit, but I expect this was also part of the ARF.

Original stock landing gear was awful and would have been replaced by most owners I think unless one greased the landings every time. Mine gave up after a couple of flights.

Servo mounted in lower wing is normal for both kit and ARF.

At least some ARF kits had the notched firewall for the longerons. The kit did not (at least the kit I bought around 2007).

- Thomas
ok, thanks , someone went to a lot of trouble to make it look like the kit. Was there an arf done like the bluehawk ?
The cowl on this one is one piece fiberglass probably too Nice and expensive to be in a kit.
Im done trying to figure out what it is.I will just finish it and fly it.
Old 12-11-2022, 02:03 PM
pacomb

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tlmunn
hello all

is it possible to get hold of the logo and side yellow stripes??? are they homemade or did they came with the kits??? I am finishing an original Ultimate kit, not the ARTF, and I dont remember it to come with those lines or logos

Best regards

paco
Old 12-11-2022, 02:42 PM
tlmunn

Thanks guys .I found out what it is using the cg models facebook page and it is a CG arf from around 2000 and Micheal was able to get me a link to the manual as well.I'm all set now.
TheEdge (12-11-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 10:58 AM
thnilsen

I scanned the logos during my build, so you can download them from my site:

https://crossley-nilsen.com/download/bluehawk.zip
https://crossley-nilsen.com/download...hawk_Logos.jpg
https://crossley-nilsen.com/download...ogos_Small.jpg

The bluehawk.zip is the "Bluehawk" text decal for the side and top wing, and the other files covers the front and tail decal (just in different scanned resolution). The yellow stripes are probably best done in covering film or painted on.

If you need someone to print the decals, I recommend Callie Graphics. Just make sure you specify the size you want them as.
Old 12-18-2022, 02:31 PM
Outrider6

I just wanted to post proof that I really am in this club. Building mine from a set of plans, with tons of design changes. Just finished mounting the lower wing (it is screwed on in the bottom picture). In the upper picture, I had just verified 3 times that everything was 0-0. I wanted to mount the wing while I still had the big, long, flat datum surface on the fuselage, and can set it upside down on my bench to measure wing location and incidence.

The upper wing is framed. Remaining is framing the top of the fuselage, all tail surfaces, and outer wing struts. This build has been waaaaay more challenging and frustrating than I envisioned. I am currently trying to work out how to attach the center aluminum strut assembly to the fuselage, as it will be screwed to the exterior of the upper fuselage, instead of punching through the upper sheeting and fastened to the interior structure.

RICKSTUBBZ (12-18-2022)
Old 01-06-2023, 02:49 PM
pacomb

Hello I am finishing my original carl goldberg ultimate.

I would like to change the plastic cowl and pants for fiber glass

What are the best options to get one???

I have only found this: Cowling & Accessories for Kits
CG-7B and #117
What is the difference between CG-7 and CG-7B???

Any other sources??

paco

Old 01-06-2023, 04:43 PM
Outrider6

Originally Posted by pacomb
Hello I am finishing my original carl goldberg ultimate.

I would like to change the plastic cowl and pants for fiber glass

What are the best options to get one???

I have only found this: Cowling & Accessories for Kits
CG-7B and #117
What is the difference between CG-7 and CG-7B???

Any other sources??

paco
As far as I can tell, the CG-7B shows that its bottom is extended to accommodate a Slimline Pitts muffler, while the CG-7 is just a standard cowl. I bought the CG-7 and wheel pants and canopy from them. I don't know of any other sources.

I got the aluminum landing gear from TNT.
Old 01-07-2023, 04:51 AM
pacomb

Thanks for taking the time to scan them. Now everyone can have the opportunity to print them.

Regards

paco

Originally Posted by thnilsen
I scanned the logos during my build, so you can download them from my site:

https://crossley-nilsen.com/download/bluehawk.zip
https://crossley-nilsen.com/download...hawk_Logos.jpg
https://crossley-nilsen.com/download...ogos_Small.jpg

The bluehawk.zip is the "Bluehawk" text decal for the side and top wing, and the other files covers the front and tail decal (just in different scanned resolution). The yellow stripes are probably best done in covering film or painted on.

If you need someone to print the decals, I recommend Callie Graphics. Just make sure you specify the size you want them as.
Old 01-28-2023, 04:39 AM
JYM

Originally Posted by pacomb
Thanks for taking the time to scan them. Now everyone can have the opportunity to print them.

Regards

paco
Can't believe this thread is still alive ... and me too!

More important, I would add to this thread that the font used is Goudy. Adobe has a nice LTC Goudy Oldstyle Pro Bold that look pretty damn close to me.

LTC Goudy Oldstyle Pro

Cheers from Switzerland,

JYM.
Old 07-21-2023, 07:33 AM
rmoura

Hi folks, I am rebuilding this Ultimate from Cal Goldberg and need the original decals for my project. Can anyone of you tell me where to find them? If not, can you send me images of the decals to print? Thank you.
Old 07-21-2023, 09:04 AM
pacomb

RMOURA, please take a look 3 messages above to get an answer ;-)
The following 2 users liked this post by pacomb:
Knight_74 (07-23-2023), TheEdge (07-21-2023)