RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Which to build first? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/10565824-build-first.html)

mjfrederick 06-09-2011 06:52 PM

Which to build first?

OK, I had a big week on the big auction website, and I've decided to let the forum here have an influence on which kit I'm going to build first. I've been wanting to build a Cessna 182 for a couple years now, and this week I got the Top Flite Cessna 182 Gold Edition, and the Pica 1/5 Scale Cessna 182 kits on their way to my house. Help me decide which to build first! They're both going to be decked out with detailed cockpits, full lighting system, functional fowler flaps, and scale hinging/control linkages. I just don't know if I can decide on my own which one I want to go with!

mjfrederick 06-10-2011 08:07 AM

RE: Which to build first?

Kinda surprised people seem to be leaning toward the Top Flite. Any particular reasons?

WacoNut 06-10-2011 08:31 AM

I think people are leaning towrd the Top-Flite as they are available. I picked the Pica as it would be something different.
You build it I will watch;)
Anthony

KitBuilder 06-10-2011 09:33 AM

why building both?

mjfrederick 06-10-2011 10:29 AM

Well, kitbuilder, I'd been planning on just doing the Top Flite, but when the Pica kit became available I jumped on it. From the pictures on the box it looks like Pica did a better job making the trailing edge of the wing more like the full scale in regards to the transition of the wing to the fuselage. Either way, both kits will be heavily modified on top of all the scale additions I plan on doing. I've always loved the look of the Cessna 182. I know it's not an exciting jet or warbird, but it's exactly what I'm looking for right now.

LargeScale88 06-10-2011 01:16 PM

The Pica is probably closer to the scale outline of the full scale, but Top Flite kits build so well and easy its kinda hard to pass up. As everyone has said, Top Flite kits, parts, ect will be much more avaible (tower hobbies) than Pica kits.

Good Luck!

Jason

</p>

mjfrederick 06-13-2011 04:30 AM

The reason I was leaning to the Pica kit was because it was closer to the full-scale outline. I'm not so much concerned if pieces are missing from the kit, that's why I have all the nifty little saws that I have. I'll probably end up building the Top Flite kit first just because that was what I had been planning to do, but then again, I'm considering building them concurrently since I plan to make similar modifications to both kits.

Augie11 06-13-2011 05:06 AM

If it were me, I'd build the TF first due to availability. Would give me a chance to work out any kinks or mods and get some stick time. Kind of a practise bird. Then I'd really get the Pica kit right on. You won't go wrong either way.

Enjoy the builds and send us some photos!

mjfrederick 06-13-2011 06:29 AM

Absolutely will send pics. I plan to document both builds in detail due to the modifications I'm planning. I still have to decide on some of the mods (for instance I plan to top-hinge the ailerons on both with piano hinges just like the full-scale) and I haven't decided if I want to go nylon or metal for those. And I need to buy another set of the Robart fowler flap hinges, and Robart steerable nosegear for both, and those things are not cheap!

TomCrump 06-14-2011 02:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Augie11

If it were me, I'd build the TF first due to availability. Would give me a chance to work out any kinks or mods and get some stick time. Kind of a practise bird. Then I'd really get the Pica kit right on. You won't go wrong either way.

Enjoy the builds and send us some photos!
These are the same reasons that I voted for the Top Flight kit. Build it as a "practice" bird, and build the best one, last.

mjfrederick 06-14-2011 05:59 AM

All good points. I think I'm going to start with the Top Flite, but I will probably start the Pica before the Top Flite is finished. Since the Pica is a little bit bigger, that's the one I want to end up being my showpiece. Since I've never painted before at least I'll have one to get some experience on.